Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Learners first near miss

Discussion in 'Your Near Misses - A Place to Vent' started by lgnd, Oct 16, 2012.

1. Hi Peeps,

I'm new but I thought I'd share my story of tonight and lessons learnt from it.
    I'm a learner been riding for about 4 months and trying to get on the bike as much as possible.

I was coming along Epping road about 9pm and entered the double lane right hand turn to pittwater road. I saw the turn indicator was green so gave it a little gas and went into the left lane so I'd have a slightly wider angle to come into the turn.
    Half way down the turn lane (like 100m) a taxi suddenly decides theywants to do a right and just cuts right infront of me.

I freak jump on the brakes, bike starts to slide, tail starts coming out, I realise whats happening so I ease off the brakes, straighten the wheel, the bike straightens up and I change lanes and avoid the taxi.

Lessons Learnt
    - Don't try to make the lights unreasonably like I would in my car
    - Always be aware even if there is just 1 car on the road they could be the ones that hit you
    - Don't sacrifice buffer for better turn
    - Too much rear brake .. I think caused the tail to slide out ? More practice emergency braking

Besides that abit of an adrenaline rush but I hope I don't have to many of those in the near future.
  2. you did good, live and learn.
    you don't need a wider line though. and that's not a reason to choose a particular lane.
    you pick the lane that has the least risks and the most options. and that was'nt the one in that case.
  3. Tail slide was probably you, did you "stomp" the pedal? Otherwise nice save, would also be worth having a think about how you might have picked up on the danger from the taxi earlier (when did you first notice it, what was it doing etc)

As said, live and learn!
  4. Hey lgnd,

Leave the Swingers and Hookers for the Cages
  5. @OP

A very measured and mature debrief of your near-miss....well done.
    E-braking practice is essential.....although use the front brake, not the rear....
  6. A lot of taxi drivers are scary!

Good to hear you and the bike are a-okay!
  7. Sounds like you had a scare and a half. Glad to hear it didn't end up worse.

If I understand this right, a taxi who was forward of you and on your left suddenly merged into your lane cutting you off. Is that right?

Definitely practice your ebraking, often. With a good ebrake, the amount of rear brake you end up with is literally the amount of pressure you get from stepping forward with the right foot and pressing down with your big toe. Get practicing.
  8. Sometimes its possible to see this coming. You'll sometimes see drivers check their mirrors or look over their shoulder and you know they want to change lanes.

Buffer, finger on the horn and ready to brake if you see this.
  9. Thanks for your replies.

Definitely need to practice e-braking. I stomp the rear too much.

I was reading about the possibility of high siding if I lock the rear and release which is interesting. Just keep the rear locked seems to be the advice ....
  10. Always be very cautious about passing cars as you're approaching intersections, or just don't do it at all. Drivers make last minute decisions and that's when they come swinging across your lane without a second thought. As you discovered, if you're in the kill zone you're screwed.
  11. not crashing is good. well done.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. He said it was a taxi... means there was no driver in it, just a cabbie. NOTHING helps in that case.
  13. ...only if you really get out of shape, otherwise release as soon as detected and reapply with correct pressure. James Davis doesn't know everything.
  14. bit late but ....
    Like others I reckon the OP handled this situation well.
    What I'd question is the need to change lanes so late. There are times when you get caught out with lane positioning and might think "Schit, I need to be in the left to make a left turn up ahead" or similar but changing to make the turn a bit easier (if that was the reason) says to me that maybe you need to be a bit more comfortable with tighter right-hand turns.
    Maybe that's where the practice needs to be. The Taxi decided he or she needed the turn lane late and you decided you wanted a wider entry late. You'll get that at intersection. Not excusing the Taxi driver for sure.