Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Learners and hiring bikes

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' at netrider.net.au started by Drew, Jan 6, 2006.

1. Anyone know if Bike hire places have issues with learners hiring their bikes or do they just charge a higher premium?

Why I am asking is that I will probably get my L's in a few weeks but here is still no bike on the immediate horizon. So is it worth getting the L'snow and hiring a bike now and then to get some riding done.... or do i just sit tight until ive got a bike lined up etc....

no point getting the L's as far as i can tell if i've got nothing to ride... and the nearest hire place i know of (Garners) is about 100Ks away from home

2. Garner's will happily hire bikes to learners. I hired about 6 different bikes off them before I bought one, it's a great way to figure out what you like. Hire rates are on their website:

www.garnersmotorcycles.com.au

3. its an hour drive just to get to them though.

4. Well... STOP LIVING IN WOOP WOOP then!

:)

5. but i hate the city.... working here is bad enough.!!

how long do L's last for anyway?? 12 months or was it 18 i think...

can always borrow a bike on occasion i guess.

6. Don't do it! Just buy a cheap bike for around thousand bucks, ride it for a couple of weeks, get your Ls and Ps as quickly as you can, and sell the bike before it falls apart - even if you end up down a hundred bucks or so, it's still a lot cheaper than renting for anything more than one day.

7. but to buy a bike i'd neet it to last till i'm off restrictions....ie a year or more

8. Nope - you only need it to last long enough to get off your L and into the P. The P becomes unrestricted after a year no matter if you ride or not... unless the system is much different in Vic?

9. You need to hold your L's at least 3 months to get your license.

Then your restrictions last another year. That's 15 months on weenie bikes.

Still, buy a 250, you can get cheap ones and you'll be better off than not having a bike. Any 2fiddy will do. A $1000 2fiddy will still be great fun.

10. AS long as it can do a crap wheelie huh Loz??

yeah i know i can get P's after 3 months.... its the next 12 month i'm tryinh to allow for.

would love a GPX250 as if sat on a few and they seem comfy and the gear change is ok for my ankle..... spadas were great too but more pricey 9the ones i've seen anyway.

not quite prepared to get a traily as i'd rather learn on a bike that is at least similar to what i want to get when unrestricted

11. c'mon drew

get with the flow

buy something cheap and do your time runnung around with that.

then flog it off. if you drop some dough, put it down to being better and more convenient than hire. plus you'll ride more and get more expsriance at crap wheelis ready for good wheelies when you geta bigger bike

hey i have a handbag to ride. i love being out on it despite any short comings. its better than no bike.

i figure on selling it once restictions are over. i will happily wear some loss. the fun factor alone covers that. this is from someone who had no interest in bikes until a year ago

12. c'mon drew

get with the flow

buy something cheap and do your time runnung around with that.

then flog it off. if you drop some dough, put it down to being better and more convenient than hire. plus you'll ride more and get more experiance at crap wheelis ready for good wheelies when you geta bigger bike

hey i have a handbag to ride. i love being out on it despite any short comings. its better than no bike.

i figure on selling it once restictions are over. i will happily wear some loss. the fun factor alone covers that. this is from someone who had no interest in bikes until a year ago

13. current problem is $

currently have SFA thanks to lifes little hiccups.

cheap bike ($1000) i can do soon... but ive still got to get about a grand worth of gear on top.

Negotiation with the purse holder have revealed that she is willing to put in cash for a good bike....... just no time frame given for said aquisition

so unless the easter bunny brings me a real Golden egg i could be at this a while...... learning lots in the meantime though.

14. As for your handbag..... sat on one the other day.....comfy for me with gear shift just right for by dodgy ankle. they cost more than i can justify though... looking more at the 3500 tops + gear

15. keep looking and let people know u r .

i got my across when a friend found out i was starting to look, and his mate got done for drink driving. paid 2700, with 27km with a known history. too good a deal to pass up, even though i wasn't sure i wanted a manbag

best of luck

16. i think everyone on here knows by now im after a bike.

have made enough research on gpx/spadas that i know thats what i want.

only thing now is L"s and $ for the actual bike and gear...even decided on jackets etc already.

now its just time untill the $ = price of bike

As soon as I have one i'll post pics and maybe even get into friday coffee once the confidence levels are up a bit.

17. i know a GPX250 in reasonable nic for a reasonable price at the moment. if you can get down here from whoopdy whoop whoop that is...

18. here in lies the problem...... GPX would be great.... not really fussed if t has done over the magical 50,00 as some people are....

getting to melbourne is no problem...... buying the bike is with no cash at hand (not to mention no L's)

if the cash was available i'd be out shopping this weekend

and whoopdy whoop whoop is only an hour north of the City you know...... like some poeople on the outer suburbs are about an hour from the city. Only i get fresh country air :)

i'd really be intersted in the offer if i could guarantee i had funds..... getting it home would be a pain though