Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Learner speed and new ride

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by Meags, Feb 1, 2012.

1. I picked up my cb400 a week ago today and apart from a day off yesterday (bee sting on neck) I've been getting out every day. My problem is the roads in our area are all 100ks and I'm struggling with the speed. I don't yet feel confident enough to go up to 100 and I'm conscious of holding other people up. I'm sticking to the back roads but at 80 - 90ks, other drivers are catching me pretty quickly. Mostly they just fly up to my backside then backoff - I'm assuming they see the L plate 8-[. Anyway, I'm finding it's taking up a lot of my concentration and I'm not sure if I should pull to the left and give them every opportunity to pass or just keep going and let them do their own thing. I'm thinking it's a bit of a courtesy thing as well?

2. When a straight comes up with good visibility (ie someone behind you could overtake), you can try moving to the left and pressing the indicator left for a moment to signal to those behind get around you that they can overtake if they wish. If they do so and its just the one car behind you feel free to back off the throttle when they're overtaking to make it easier for them.

However if there aren't any overtaking opportunities, keep a strong lane position (not too far left) so they don't think about trying it somewhere you're not expecting them too. The alternative is if there is a chain of cars behind you and you come across a place to pull over, it would be polite of you to do so if you're clearly holding them up.
  3. Thanks. One bloke tried to pass me on the inside when I was making a right turn and he didn't really have enough room, so he ended up in the gravel and I could have reached out and touched his car. I know if I was in a car he wouldn't have felt he had the room and he was still doing around 100, so a little scary from my point of view. Steep learning curve for me......
  4. Arent there any back roads where you can practise?

More practise means more confidence and more confidence means being comfortable at designated speeds.
  5. There are alof of wankers out there!! As Consiracy mentions, HOLD YOUR LANE, ride in the middle unless of course you are making a turn. If you jump on a fwy/highway with multiple lanes, sit on 90kmh in the left lane!! If you have a high vis shirt / vest wear the bugger if that makes you feel more at ease.. I wear one, look like a nob but hey I know a couple of idiots have actually seen me cause of it.. The speed 'sacre' will subside as did the 'brake' and 'change of gears' crisis lol
    Patience and practise :)
  6. Yeah, that's what I'm on. What are considered country back roads. It's 20 mins into the nearest large township. I just have to work with it - doesn't stop me from wishing I had a nice quiet 60k neighbourhood!

Thanks goddie - I'm hearing you. I think the 'hold your lane' advice is important - as soon as I move over drivers think they can have my lane and any other lane in the near vicinity. I think part of my speed problem (or lack thereof) might stem from the local Roo situation out here - I'm constantly on the lookout for them.

7. Got any evidence of this? IIRC the studies are pretty mixed.
  8. First day I wore it, neighbour STOPPED at a stop sign, speaking with him later said he spotted the fuglee orange vest.. And filtering I find with veston cars 'move' more then without, abviosuly hard to prove, but neighbour said it in plain english 'I dont NORMALLY see bikes/motorbikes'
    riding up to bendigo one time layin on the tank on the old suzi i had, coming up to car on right lane 'dawdling' I sat up, and immediatley indicator on etc, now maybe JUST maybe distance etc but I believe when they see the vest [and I dont like wearing it] it does get the attention.. for me...
    Any education to drivers should be 'look out for headlights / motor bikes not hi vis tops, but got a feeling it might be said the other way round. I get frustrated seeing bikes with no headlights on [motorbikes] and this happens daily!!
  9. signal to them with your middle finger
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Where in Gipsland are you? Have you considered coming to the Saturday practice sessions?

I agree with the others. Make sure you own your space, and ride at your own pace. If there is a safe spot to let them over take, then do so, otherwise, ride YOUR ride, and if you happen to hold them up a bit, so be it. I'm not saying that you should be selfish, far from it. I am saying that if you spend your time worrying about the other road users and not wanting to upset them, you may be putting yourself in more danger. You need to be concentrating on your ride, not them.

Most people struggle with the speed when they first start, so, your not alone. Especially on a naked. One thing people have trouble with is due to wind. They feel all wobbly because of the wind. The thing is, when that happens, noobs tend to tense up and tighten their grip on the bars. When that happens, the wind jostling your body travels down your arms and makes the bike feel worse. It's hard at first, but, the trick is to RELAX your upper body and grip with your legs. When you feel tense, flap your arms (chicken wings). Do this often until you learn to relax.
  11. Hi [MENTION=36446]Meags[/MENTION],

I would just add one caution to Goddie's above post that the middle of the road is where cars and trucks dump most of their oil and petrol/diesel spillage. The two wheel tracks of cars get scrubbed by the passing cars so it is better to be in one of the wheel tracks as a general rule.

Of course that is sometimes take as an invitation to cagers to share lanes with you. Its an imperfect world :( Using the centre of the lane shows more ownership of the road with the caution above.

Good Luck, Keep at it, practice, practice, practice.
  12. Well they're good anecdotes, but have you got any real evidence?
  13. Sorry Brmmm nuthin in writing
  14. You're right, I'm probably spending too much time worrying about inconveniencing other road users, when I should be focusing on what I'm doing at this early learning stage. Saturday practice sessions are too far unfortunately.

I'll definitely try that tomorrow-perhaps when there's no-one around:grin:.Thanks for the advice.

Thanks cjvfr - this is going to sound like a stupid question, but here goes, I'm thinking the oil and so on make the road more slippery in general, is this going to be a problem in the wet or at any time?
  15. This is especially true at intersections etc. It's not too bad riding down the middle on an open stretch of road, but, in general, you want to sit just to either side of center (right or left depending on circumstances). You don't need to be hard left or hard right.
  16. Well you could have at least posted up a pic as evidence you look like a nob ;)
  17. How about eyewitness evidence - that vest has to be the crappiest orange rag I've seen!

Just kidding Goddie - we lufs ya!
    • Like Like x 2
  18. I am disappointed in you Brrrrrr, you've been on here for a while and you dont know how to look at someones profile?
    Have a look, I look like a nob lol
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Hey, I agree!! but thats the point of it, tis crappy to look at so stands out..
  20. you do need to get down to Sat Pracs Meags.
    makers of champions.

road courtesy is secondary to your own safety always. never allow an angry cager to pressure you. he or she can be 2mins late.
    **** em, **** em all. they are mere muggles