Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Learner riding his new babyblade back.....hit a pothole

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by hitokiri21, Apr 19, 2007.

1. Hi all,

Bought my cbr today, decided to ride it home as i had a bit of experience riding them from all the test rides i did :cool:
    First impressions on the road was "please dont hit me mr car", didnt quite realise how exposed u are. Then after a bit it was "hey this is pretty fun". Naturally i stalled quite a few times, and to prevent that i kind of revved it to 10 000 rpm then slowly let out the clutch....which im trying not to do now coz it'll probably fry the clutch
    Anyway I was getting used to being on the road and all, riding along comfortably when i see this black 'thing' on the road and the next moment the bike is going haywire, kicking me up at least 20cm from my seat. Somehow i managed to stay on, but my expression afterwards...... :shock: according to my mate behind me in a car (he was covering my ass for the trip) it was a fair sized pothole and i rode straight over it.....i believe his expression was also similar to this :shock:

So yeh the road gave me a nice welcome. Here's the pic of the bike

Mechanically it was really good, with only 17000km, but colour im not lovin the yellow wheels. Does anyone know a decent shop i can go to so i can repaint it white?

Thanks all[/img]
  2. Hey, congrats on the new bike. Sounds like an interesting ride home :LOL: It's kinda strange the first time you ride hey, you don't expect it to be so fast and exposed.. but a few months later that's what makes it fun :grin: Can't help ya with the wheels, but they do look a whole lot better in white. Have fun riding.
  3. Congrats on the bike :grin:

Don't worry about the clutch, use and abuse it as much as you want, as they're wet they don't die like cage clutches...and you're supposed to on your Ls :)

Hit a 2' long 1" diameter stick while cornering reasonably hard at 40km/h yesterday. Rear kicked out a little but gained traction quickly. That was my :shock: moment for that ride.
  4. yeh potholes are the best. To avoid the monumental *THUD* I believe you're supposed to raise slightly in the footrests and relax your body (well at least thats how i like to do it). :wink:
    Congratulations on the motorbicycle, it is a wonderful thing. May you have many more potholes in an upright position and I hope to see you on some of the group rides :)
  5. Big potholes are definitely not fun!

My worst experience was when I hit one at 110kph heading down hill.

The bike sailed of the edge and the front dropped and the wheel hit the far side hard enough to dent the front rim and I broke my scaphoid bone (although I didn't realise this at the time).
  6. ah, potholes!

got to love sydney roads.

something to get use to, unfortunately.
  7. i would suggest avoiding the pothole to begin with....

congrats on the new bike :)
  8. I'll keep that in mind next time i see one comin at me, my arse is still sore from the BUMP. As for avoiding them .......how??? with cars u can swerve but Im not sure how to swerve the bike at an instant's notice.

talked to my mate a bit more about it, supposedly i was fishtailing for a bit before the bike came back. I didnt even realise :shock:
  9. if you haven't already learnt counter-steering (push right to turn right kinda thing) then learn it :) it's the kind of thing that, if it was second nature to you, would give you a better chance at avoiding stuff on the road when you're going in a straight line like that.

Other than that, definitely raise your butt - it's really hard to do the first few times to make it worthwhile but once you get used to how it feels to not actually be sitting, a lot of bumps you can prepare for by just raising your butt. Won't help much where it's big/deep, but here in Adelaide, it sure helps when you're going over train lines ;)
  10. +1. If you countersteer it should enable you to avoid objects much quicker. Sounds like you didn't actually see the pothole this time thou, so i guess that'll have to be for future reference :)
  11. thats it, counter steering, also pothols often occur in car tire lines so whats that.

Either way, just scan the road and be on your guard, if you know its a pretty ruff road, slightly raise on your pegs.

Also be sure to grip the tank nice and tight with your legs.

Enjoy the cibby, i love mine to death! lol

PS: would also be good to get the suspension set to your weight
  12. Learn how to emergency counter steer, thats all I can say.
  13. Nic... you seem to be a very reactive kind of guy...

How about as a preference learn to scan the road ahead and plan your actions to miss the potholes.
    Also for something like a pothole, 9 times in 10 it will be safer to lift your weight off the seat and onto your legs and absorb the impact instead of trying to go around it.
  14. Oh one more tip which i have picked up.

If you notice a pothole and its getting to close to fast i have heard that you should not CT but rather lay on some throttle. The reason behind this is as follows.

If you hit the hole at an angle, chances of a crash are very largely increased.

However if you take weight off of the front end (as happens when you accelerate) the jerk through the handlebars will be less therefor the odds you losing control are reduced. Where as the rear can go over most things without a big prob.

Now may i just say that this is a last resort and of course if your already doing 100 in a 60 zone firstly your an idiot but secondly you better hope you have your gear on.
  15. I hit a pothole once.... fcuk it hurts between the legs! :p
  16. I guess it really comes down to judgement.. Dependant upon the size of the hole/obstacle and time allowed for action, sometimes it is best to avoid it and other times it is better to ride over it. Although i would generally ride over an obstacle, counter steering does help in the situations where it is better to swerve.