Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Learner riding course

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by Pocketz, Dec 27, 2009.

1. Hey all,

I signed up for a 1 day course to get my learners at Ride-Tek MTA. They stated i needed to know how to take off, change gears and come to a stop. I have never ridden before and my new bike went straight to the shop so i don't have this nailed down practically. I do know theoretically how to do all these things and i can drive a manual car rather well. Do you think i can just say i know how to do it and pull it off?
  2. Nope. You can tell strait away. So if you are going to try, don't start by saying, "oh I have not ridden for years or I raced moto x ha ha
    Before I let any student ride off I make them do a slow speed ride. It's a balance of throttle, clutch and rear brake. You have to ride at walking speed, 5 k's without getting all wobbly on me.
    Even if you can do these "theoretically" it's a different matter in front of a stranger or 5 other students.
  3. I'm not saying i know how to ride, but i know how to work clutch, gears and accelerator really well. I just want to know if it would be possible to just do these basic requirements. If it comes down to it i can borrow a mates bike and practice for a little but this could be hard.
  4. Sounds like the best bet, just remember to keep your head up and look where you are going (including round those corners) - helps the balance a lot.
  5. If I were you i'd try and get some practice in. At the very least it'll save you wasting valuable time on the day.