Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Learner rider - tacho def required?

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by JCL, Aug 14, 2007.

1. Hi Im a new rider starting out after some experience on dirt bikes.

Just wondering what everyones thoughts are regarding whether a tacho is definately required for a new rider on the roads.

Just noticed a few entry level bikes without them and so far I have been avoiding them thinking that a tacho would be a good inclusion for someone starting out to learn the bike better.

Im especially interested because Im a big fan of the Honda VTR and am looking at all entry level bikes reguarly now but the pre 2002 VTR models all seem to not have a tacho.

What is everyone elses thoughts?
  2. Definitely not necessary.

But some peoples brains just work well with the numbers.

I personally find it helpful to be able to look at my tach, see 5000rpm and go 'yup I need to shift for this hill'. But in reality its a nonissue as you know when to shift based on how the bike feels / sounds like.

Get whatever you feel comfortable with, not having a tach won't change a thing.
  3. I tend to disagree. I'm from the school of using all of your vehicle's rev range for maximum efficiency and effect. To do this I need a tacho so I can get used to the sound of the engine at various rev/load points. How do you do this on a bike without a tacho and/or rev limiter? Do you load and rev it until it goes *pop*?

Just my 2c, but I won't buy any manual gearbox vehicle that doesn't have a tacho.
  4. Missing my point. You can figure out the sweet spots and map them by sound without a tacho.
  5. What if you're in a tricky overtaking maneuvre and hit the cut out/engine goes pop instead of hitting the sweet spot?
  6. What if you're doing a tricky maneuver looking at your bloody tacho, miss the rev limiter, hit a truck instead?

You do not need a tacho. If you've got any mechanical sympathy at all, you'll know when to change. I havent ridden the VTR, but most non race bikes stop making good power (you'll feel it) in the very upper limit of their rev range anyway, just change the gear.
  7. 250's have f-all power anyway. No tacho is gonna help you peak a non-existant torque curve :LOL:
  8. I've ridden the VTR for a couple of days and had to adjust to the different rev range to the CBR that I was used to, but it wasn't an issue having no tacho (or did it have one?). Either way, whether you know the revs or not, you need to learn how your bike works. You'll get used to what sounds mean what - when you're running out of acceleration for that gear; when you're labouring the engine in too low a gear, etc. Get the bike you like and you'll learn it just as well as any other.
  9. Horses for courses. I do have mechanical sympathy and hence I like knowing how hard I'm pushing my engine. Some engines are harsh and rough so you will know if you're pushing it. Some engines are so smooth that you don't know that you've pushed it too far until the rev limiter kicks in.

Anyway my 2c is I'd buy a bike/car only if it had a tacho.
  10. I've got a 99 model VTR 250 and i've got no probs with not having a tacho. It is easy enough just to hear what the engine is doing and change gears accordingly. The only times that i've wanted a tacho on it is when i was curious as to what revs its doing, thats all.

If you are just learning then you probably shouldn't be pushing it to the absolute limit anyway, so if you do find a bike that you like, in good nick with no tacho then just get it.

It's one less thing to look at and get distracted by while on the road.
  11. I have a pre 2002 VTR, and i've never had a problem without the tacho, just listen to the engine, and if you're really worried, the owners manual has the speeds that are recommended for each gear.
  12. Agree with Duff, except about the last part. Take the recommendations into consideration...then promptly ignore them. Into 5th gear by 55km/h...seeeeeef!

VTR250 with Staintune...when it sounds like shit, shift up.
  13. hahaha i couldn't remember the speeds in the manual anyway, i just changed when the bike wouldn't go any faster :p
  14. Don't mean to hi-jack this thread but I do think it's relevant. Is it possible to replace a pre 2002 vtr instrument cluster with a post 2002 instrument cluster? I've done this on my car. It came without a tacho so I bought one from the wrecker and it was a direct plug and play swap. Was just wondering if this is possible on the newer bikes.
  15. Yeah I also wondered about that...
  16. Who the hell needs a tacho to know when to change gears?

I agree with Phizog, drive/Ride/Fly by the arse dyno. Your arse will tell you when the time is right. NEVER fails.

Id be more concerned about looking at your tacho to make sure the revs are right to change down a gear, coming into that corner. Leaving the turn too late, and becoming a kenworths hood ornament.

Pro-pilot - Maybe VTR's dont make any power, but theres 250's that do.

MY advise is to learn without a tacho, THEN you know how to do it, IF you drop the tacho, or happen to be in a situation where you CANT take your eyes off the road to look at your tacho when you need to change gears. Then you've got the skill to do it forever.
  17. My bike and car both have tachos the only time I look at them is when I'm trying to work out if I'm in 5th or 6th on the freeway. They are definitely not necessary in my view, but they do look good whizzing around like that.
  18. i agree with non-neccessity, as you need to be able to tell when to change gears etc. but im still getting a VTR with teh tacho. i actually didnt want pre 2003 for that reason. this way, i can know what sound is associated with what number :wink:

but yeah, i got it for the peace of mind, so i can learn both ways, do the lot.

anyway, i dont see how someone could possible ride a motorbike with a tacho, and only know when to change according to numbers. thus they would be fundamentally flawed when required for what ever reason, to ride without one. could it be that hard to know roughly when to change?

19. A Lot of care drivers cant.
    Ya know they even make tacho's with an idiot light to tell you when to change.

TECHNICALLY for rally/race purposes this makes sense... But the doof doof nuffys that put them on their fully sick skylines and dunnydoors, really dont need it. :jerk: wankers, the lot of em.

If it pops a piston, fix it, and dont rev it so hard next time :p
  20. For a learner, a tacho is only something else to distract you. You can do without it.

You will get to know the feel and sound of the bike, when to change gears, up or down, at the right time.