Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Learner out of there league

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by FALCON-LORD, Apr 10, 2007.

1. On Monday Trucallin and I went for a blat around the Spurs, Lake Mountain and then back through King Lake to Heidelberg. What I think in all honesty is a pretty tight road and not what you’d call a noob road. I was riding Point, and came across a Brand Spanking New GSXR600 (You know the new ones with the stubby exhaust) puttering around the corners. The rider had all the signs of having spent less than a week in the saddle (I am not going to conjecture weather they were legally allowed to ride the bike or not but there skill on it (or lack thereof) was scary) I sat back a little for a couple of corners, waiting for them to give me a pass, but they would always use that extra power to get a bit of space in the straights, So I pulled up a little closer and they started riding the line in the straights to make passing difficult (To the point of them going to the wrong side of the road to block me out) eventually I just did a fast exit and powered on out of the corner to be past them before they had fully straitened up the bike when Matty and I caught up after the twisty bits, he had the same story to tell of this guy.

Now it is good form to give someone some passing space if they are faster than you, but it is not in any way necessary. But to intentionally block someone out when it is obvious that you are not able to keep a safe line… That is just plain F#$%ing rude (And egotistical)

On a side note I had an other encounter with an R6 earlier in the day, Once again I was quicker than this guy (Though only a little) he lead me a merry chase for a while then left me a passing spot on a strait (where he could have powered away). But what I noticed most, is how much better the breaking on the R6 was than on my Little ZZR.
    I want a bigger bike!
  2. It could have been the guys first ride on the new bike, and probably lack of riding experience too. I know what I was like on my bike when I got on it first, especially if its a bit of road that is unfamiliar. I was cornering very cautiously, but then again I haven't been riding all that long (less than 3 years).
  3. "Why yes sir, the GSXR600 with the stubby exhaust is the finest motorcycle you can purchase... it will be almost impossible for anyone to pass you."

If it was a brand new bike, wouldn't it have 'brand new' tyres on it also?
    Maybe he was scrubbing them in, and taking corners progressively wider to get the shiny stuff off further and further up the sides[?]

...That's just an idea - the way you tell the story, I'm happy to just assume the guy was an arsehole :grin:
  4. All together probable, and I would not in any way belittle a rider for being careful on a new beast or if under skilled. Better to be careful and alive
    This would still lead one to question what he was doing on such a road.
    And it would still not forgive the behavior, with the blocking maneuvers.
  5. After getting back on a bike eight months ago ( 8 months! time flies) and pottering around the 'burbs for a while, the first real ride on twisties I did was the road up to Kinglake, and back down again (argh!) That downhill run is scary as hell the first time, when you don't have the skills or experience.

I can tell you, at that stage I wasn't thinking about the guy behind me who caught up real quick, or letting him pass unless I had a clear straight in front of me, and time to set my line before the next corner. I also used to pull the throttle on for most straights, then brake hard into the corners, which I now know is the best way to piss off following faster riders. :LOL: (I copped some of that myself yesterday. :roll: )

He probably wasn't deliberately baulking you, just trying real hard to look like he was in control, while at the same time trying to stay on the road. I'll be kind and asume he was fully licensed, but perhaps hadn't been riding during his restricted period as he should have been.

You should have stopped him down the bottom of the hill, and invited him to join Netrider. It may save his life.

Yes, Jason, you need to get a bigger bike before you wring the neck of that poor little ZZR. :twisted:
  6. A friend of mine sold his CBR600F3 to a guy who hadn't ridden in 6+ yrs.
    Kind of throws the whole LAMs theory into disrepute...I know who'd I would trust using a CBR600 on the road behind/next to me out of a recent Stage 2 grad and a complete novice.
  7. Maybe he lacks experience ? Maybe he wasnt feeling well ? Maybe the bike wasnt performing ? Maybe he is not from Australia & unfamilar with the roads & rules ? Maybe he lives in the area? Maybe this is the area where the bike was & he was test riding it ? Maybe he never looked in his mirrors to see you ? Maybe with him being in front he saw other potential dangers and was shepherding you both from harm ?

Really unless you either stopped & asked/talked with the guy, it will all be speculation.
  8. You may be right... though when he kicked wide to the wrong side of teh road on a strait as I was starting to wind on up that side my thoughts were that this was not the case.

If he had have been a little nicer about letting me pass, i probably would have run a few demo corners in front of him before pushing on, and then thought about introducing my self down the bottom... But after the work necisary to pass him, i didn't bother ... I just left him behind

The Other 600 and I met up at the bottom of the Lake mountain road, swapped hellos and had a bit of a chin wag.
  9. Yeah, depends on if they deliberately blocked you (d1ckh3ad) or were just out of control (scarey). I can understand them wanting to take it easy on the 1st ride through twisties. But if it really was their 1st - Kinglake?! There to St Andrews (if that's the stretch you're talking about) is hard enough on a 250. With the power of a bigger bike I imagine it being even more difficult to control. Of course, maybe they didn't realise how extreme that road is.
  10. I know at least 2 late-model gixxer riders who couldn't ride their way out of a wet paper bag.

Some people buy these bikes purely for chappoo street pose factor. Others only ever commute and shit themselves when they finally pop out for a ride in the twisties. Then there's some people that are simply rubbish riders, who desperately want to be part of the scene and bring very fresh metal down to biker meets - but if they rode any faster than you describe they'd brick themselves or end up in hospital.

Live and let live I say, better to be stuck behind a poorly-ridden bike than some enormous truck that you can't see past to overtake. Your upgrade will come in time, and overtakes will be a twist or a late brake away.
  11. My speculation says that the guy has a tiny ol feller, and his massive ego and fragile show pony self esteem couldn't cope with the fact that he and his shiny new gixxer were going to be whomped by a more capable rider on an aphysixiated 250 mbike.

Seriously, straightline pilot corner charging diva's need a talking too... but Loz has a good point about the truck thing.

On a general note, if you are a more competent rider and the rider infront is holding you up, then being right up their clacker isn't very smart - the pressure could cause the less competent rider to make a mistake and take you both out.

But... For the record, I'm 100% behind FL's basic sentiment: If you're holding someone up, LET 'EM PAST!
  12. +1 Loz. Jason, the only rider you can do something about is YOU.....
  13. I dont believe we've ever met Loz. :p
  14. Er, I should qualifiy. I also know several late-model gixxer riders who definately COULD ride their way out of a wet paper bag. And a couple who could probably ride their way out of a dry concrete bunker.
  15. Nah, I'll stick with your first statement. I just cant remember meeting you. :LOL:
  16. Okay, you are probably right. He sounds like a noob who thought he was on a race blocking an overtake.

I have on several occasions ridden behind people trying to match my (not very fast) pace, and therefore held me up. I usually just sit back and practice some aspect of my technique, then scoot past when they don't expect it. :eek: :LOL:

I tell you though, I gave up on the Spur yesterday after zipping around a couple of dozen cars, only to be blocked by a line of another dozen, nose to tail with no gaps to slip into, all following a double-B logging truck with full load. Sometimes you've just gotta admit defeat. Traffic returning from a weekend away yesterday was just amazing. I've never filtered around the outside of so many crawling cars before, making my way back from Ray's place to Templestowe via the Spur and Christmas Hills.
  17. You can only guess he was scared shitless!. Did he look frozen at the bars in the corners? Would be easy to have an off on a 600.

I rode this road yesterday morning, and Whilst I am the first to admit I will never challenge Rossi, my 800 cruiser managed to add 20-30kmh to every advisory sign on that road, and everything was well inside the envelope. There is every opportunity to use the mirrors.

It was the first time I have ridden this road.

I only saw 2 cars on this road, and both must see bikes on there often, because at the first straight, both flashed their left blinkers, and I scooted past with no hassle.

But I wasn't too adventurous, as when you exit the 2 x 15kmh right handers, any car going wide on the corner would be well inside the outside lane.

But I am going back at night!
  18. A lot of the locals are very good on that road, and let you past. You bring money into their community after all. A few try to outpace you, which is interesting. Most tourists have no idea, and get in the way, drive too fast / too slow or all over the road.

4WDs coming home that way from a weekend away are often seen on your side of the road, as is the occassional Porsche. Watch out at night. :shock:
  19. Definitely, Possibly, didn’t sound like it, but potentially.

All Quite Possible, but still doesn’t justify intentional blocking

Nahh I saw him look down into em several times.

I wish I could feel this was the case… But alas in this case the body language was all about ego. (How dare this person try to pass me).

Yeah good call… but then it would be inevitable that I had to sit back, not someone intentionally blocking.

Yeah when it had groups of corners I left some space, both for my own safety and to try not to spook the poor prick but I did pull up when I saw a corner into a strait where I could have a go at a safe pass

Very True (But I can still blow some steam here :furious:

Oh yeah he was... and I definitely didn’t want to make it any harder on him. As much as I don’t think he should have put himself in that position (I really don’t think you learn that much when you are that far out of your depth) I didn’t want to add to his issues. I just wanted to ride!
  20. What day was this and what time? Was it over the holidays in the evening time? Maybe he was on his way home from the pub with a few too many.