Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

learner from Wollongong

Discussion in 'Welcome Lounge' started by snookmz, Jul 24, 2009.

1. G'day

Recently decided to take the plunge and finally get a motorbike. Recently turned 30 and decided now that I have a bit of money I would reward myself. Bought a Kawasaki ZZR 250 ' 99 model off a good mate, all my riding gear from bikegearwarehouse.

A couple of things I have noticed, firstly that I have zero confidence on the road. I get scared of cars, hill starts, making a fool of myself, plus I feel very wobbly on the road at low speed.

I bought some riding boots but find they are so chunky that it makes changing gears near impossible, and I lose all feel for where my feet are at. I've gone back to just using my running shoes, which makes gear selection easier, but I still find that I am often in the wrong gear.

I have ridden my mates 500 cc single, and I've noticed that it has lots of torque which makes for a friendlier ride.

I'm hoping I will get some confidence soon, I actually think this is quite a dangerous time as I am likely to make a mistake and end up on the business end of an angry motorist.

2. Welcome to Netrider, and the joys of the road. (from a fellow 'Gonger'!!)

Confidence will come, trust me, the only way to get good at it is to keep doing it.

Now, your boots may well be too chunky, but have a look at this https://netrider.net.au/forums/viewtopic.php?t=52234&start=0

and see if you can help yourself a bit; the idea of you riding round in runners scares the willies out of me.

There are lots of riders down here, and I'm sure any one of us would be happy to provide some tuition and guidance; before you know it you'll be zipping up to the Pie Shop with the best of us :).
  3. Didn't know you could adjust the gear lever and rear brake. I had literally packed up the boots ready to return for a refund, glad I checked here first, thanks for the info.

I'm sure I will slowly get my confidence, and when I am feeling confident I would love to tag on for a ride up for a world's famous pie :)
  4. Welcome to NR :)

Listen to Hornet - he knows stuff ;)

Take your time, there is no hurry while you are learning.

For the record you dont have to wait to meet everyone - head up to the pie shop on any weekend and say hi. Keep an eye out on the NSW Rides section too for upcoming rides and events.
  5. gday snookmz, welcome mate :)
  6. Welcome from another W'gong rider!! Hope to see you on the road soon.
  7. welcome. hornet u really should get that sticky.
  8. good idea, I shall seek out the procedure, thanks.
  9. hi champ,
    as a newly learner myself i know all to well how you feel and what your going though
    i just keep riding to get more confidence not to worry you get there
    safe riding
  10. Welcome to NR from another Gonger.

What Hornet said. Your confidence will grow the more you ride. And you don't have to deal with heavily congested roads around here. Some good "learning" roads around here :wink: