Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Learner drivers on twisty roads

Discussion in 'Your Near Misses - A Place to Vent' started by blackadder, Jun 2, 2012.

1. Today I was heading back from Toolangi to Healsville along Chum Creek Road when I approached two cars driving unusually slow. First things first, I press the record button.. I overtake the first car and then realize what is going on. The learner driver in front is struggling to drive the car. Many times he/she sways into the other lane. I was gritting my teeth praying no one was coming the other way...

I don't think it is right to bring a learner driver, who hasn't mastered basic car control, onto a road like that. I don't blame the learner driver at all.. What the hell was the supervising driver thinking? I don't mind if he/she had been putting along slowly in control of the car.

Lesson learnt.. stay away from popular roads on the weekends..

The video:

• Like Like x 1
  2. i don't think it's right to allow cars on chum creek road period.
    • Like Like x 5
  3. Wow that person driving is really dangerous..
    how can the person teaching him/her.. allow that to happen? blind corners, crossing over the lines.. i'm surprised they didn't wipe someone out.

4. No doubt it isn't very wise to take such a unskilled learner to a road like that,
    But to be fair i have seen my fair share of learner motorbikes going as slow wobbling through those sort of places
  5. That was frustrating even to watch! Whenever I see brake lights come on like that I think, danger!
    Well done on keeping a good distance from the learner, no point in freaking him/her out.
  6. As long as they wobble on their side of the road, that sounds ok.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Maybe the driver in charge (supervisor) was trying to show the driver (learner) how easy it would be to kill a motorbike rider?
    • Like Like x 1
  8. I dont get these people.

I took my mums camry sportivo (LOL) up on old road when i was 16 and had a great time.

Driving is ****ing simple, especially basic car control;

1. is the car inside of the white lines, no?
    2. turn the wheel in the direction the car needs to travel to move back between the lines.

Seriously. Driving is not a challenging concept.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Too many people are given a license these days, because it means more money to the ones above..

Driving is a challege to at least half the population. Driving/riding takes skill, and THEY couldn't care less about the majority (fatalities), as long as they are making money.
  10. Their are drivers and their are drivers L platers need to be left alone,they are unpredictable and dangerous in other words retards
  11. You know, I never had any issues with riders or cagers in Vietnam. Less rules seemed to allow for more smarts on the road, never had a SMIDSY, everyone knew what they were doing. Maybe it's a cultural thing, maybe over there people knew how to handle themselves. Aus is very dangerous, people don't see bikes or cars around themselves, lack of awareness imo.
  12. I wouldn’t trust your anecdotal experience on that – just have a look at the statistics in this report. Australia has around 7.8 reported road deaths per 100,000 persons each year, counting anyone who died within 30 days of their accident. For Vietnam the figure is around 14.6, counting only those who died within 24 hours. So, at minimum, Vietnam has double the fatalities per capita. That’s giving it them benefit of the doubt that most deaths in Vietnam are actually reported.

For overall crash-related injuries, both fatal and non-fatal, Australia actually appears to be worse off: 83 per 100 000 people compared to Vietnam’s 26.4. However, it looks like there is a problem of underreporting. In Australia there are about 10 times as many reported non-fatal injuries as fatalities. In Vietnam, there are actually more reported fatalities than reported non-fatal injuries. This means that either crashes are massively more violent and destructive in Vietnam, or people in Vietnam are much less likely to go to hospital as a result of road-related injuries. If Australia’s 10-times figure is anything close to the true injury rate in Vietnam, then Australia’s overall injury rate would also be a about half that of Vietnam.

So Australian roads aren’t that dangerous, and there is certainly no argument for less rules equating to less casualties in this comparison.

Edit: I suppose one weakness of the statistics is that they don't just capture the amount of carnage on the road, but also the level of medical treatment available, emergency services infrastructure etc.
  13. Ah, so you went straight from the womb to a full licence, then? :roll:
    • Like Like x 1
  14. i disagree that learners should be banned from roads like that (side note: i grew up on chum creek road. many moons ago)
    but yes, the supervising driver should have been pulled from the car and beaten for allowing such poor form to continue. all they needed was a jinker on a tight corner and CRUNCH
  15. Learners have to learn - we've all done it. I agree with blackadder, it's the supervising drivers responsibility to assess the competence of the person they're teaching. When I taught my older son to drive, it was all about the basics for months. Easy roads, gradual challenges. Taking a learner who hasn't mastered the skill of steering onto a road like that says more about the supervisor's intelligence than the learners skills.
  16. You never learnt to drive? Ride? Never broken rules, or had your own retard moment.
  17. Just going to put it out there, maybe the supervising driver is just as bad (and there in lies the major flaw with our learner system)...
    • Like Like x 1

18. The problem i see with the learner system i find is that many people only focus on passing the road test! Almost all of the driving schools out there claim the "first time pass gurantee" and only seem to focus on the roads most commonly taken by the Vicroads test people. Its like they are fed the same bit of suburbia around the test so much that the learner knows it backwards before the test, but give them a new set of road and they have no idea how to handle them properly.
  19. wont disagree with anything said here, except the 'learner retard bit', but thats already been stepped on appropriately..............dont know the area either but just maybe, the instructor' considered this to be a low traffic/quiet road to go for a spin whereas suburbia, overwhelming traffic and parked cars were a no-no...

Just sayin' is all......ok, this road may have been the wrong move but,.... where did your dad take you the first coupl'a times.........usually some quiet road

That said.... this learner seems to be very lacking in hand/ eye co-ordination :(
  20. The supervisor should have asked the learner to pull over after he muddled up the first few corners. End of story. He didn't, for whatever reason. Fail. Maybe the driving was OK for him. Driving is the operation of heavy machinery at speed- somehow few perceive it this way.

I strongly recommend learner drivers get out on these twisty roads. They will learn a lot and, hopefully, enjoy it! BUT, they should only be out there when they are ready for it.