Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Learner Driver standards

Discussion in 'Your Near Misses - A Place to Vent' started by ajc_082, Nov 4, 2010.

1. Not really bike related, but was driving a work car today, cruising along 3 lane 70kmh road @ 70, had a learner next to me and cars all around and about 1 car length from me to car in front travelling in left lane. Suddenly notice learner speed up to about 90 as was pulling away from me then it cut in front of me. Is this what parents are teaching?? 20kmh over is ok if you planning to cut someone off??

That got me thinking best course of action the parent should have instructed on, considering it was approaching a major intersection maybe 600m away and they turned left, should they have slowed down to get into left lane? Or what I thought decided much further back to be in left lane as I had done considering they would have known where they were going.
  2. Based on your description, many people here wouldn't think twice about doing that (themselves) on the bike.
  3. The blind leading the blind really.
  4. Did you have to brake or take other evasive action? If not, I'd say it was a legitimate move bearing in mind the general acceptance on this forum of regarding completing a manouver safely as taking precedence over the speed limit.

However, it might have been avoided by thinking further ahead and moving left rather earlier.
  5. yeah, if i was on the bike it would be prob something i would do also, I just thought being a car learner, wasn't good teachings. (not a word but....... it would certainly give you a Fail with vicroads)
  6. Id say that was fine, sped up so that the differential was not a problem.
    If it was any closer to an intersection and you were a truck however... then theres a problem :D.
  7. Correct answer... indicate and wait 3 seconds. Vehicles in the other lane will proceed to make room for them.

as if THAT ever happens.
  8. By indicate they mean "point weapon towards vehicle behind you in lane you wish to merge to".
  9. I suspect that we all do at least one thing every day that would fail us our tests if we were stupid enough to do it with an examiner present.

Whilst I certainly don't condone teaching learners that habitually bending the road rules is a good thing to do, I don't really have a problem with making sure they understand that there are circumstances where blind adherence to them is not necessarily the best or safest approach.

Of course, it is entirely possible that, in this case, the licensed driver supervising them simply didn't care and will teach a whole raft of bad and dangerous habits. However, without knowing this for sure, I'm inclined to give the benefit of the doubt.

'Swhy I quite often don't indicate these days. The blinker prior to a merge is an invitation to tramp it and block you out.
  10. Blind leading the blind indeed.

Its sad that the above is a joke.

Too often I see road users having difficulty with changing lanes, fearful of putting their indicator on unless they can change lanes straight away.

Putting the indicator on is like asking a question saying hey I'm front can I please squeeze in. Most people will respond well to this and slow down to create a gap to let you in. Of course there are plenty of assholes who will speed up to cut you off, scum of the road.
  11. Bollocks. In WA at least. Though I'll admit that my limited driving experience in the East suggests things are loess bad over there.
  12. ^^^ Actually, I find I more often than not get a look of surprise when slow down, give 'em room and I let people merge in. Much, much less often; they reciprocate with a wave of thanks.
  13. Driven in most states and WA is terrible for letting people in, VIC is no better and NSW seems to be better because the roads are so narrow in some places they have to.

SA seem oblivious to everything (especially hook turns when in melb!). ACT is probably the easiest to deal with because it is a blend of a lot of driving styles - so people tend to be cautious.

14. I worked in NSW for 6 years in the last half of the 90's, and have to agree. I got a hell of a fright when I first started driving there, as if there was a half car length between me and the car infront, a car from either side would merge. Once I got used to this idea and it became the norm, driving around Sydney was a hell of a lot easier. All issues I had with the drivers there then eventually became the norm and proved to be a way to speed up the flow of traffic.

Sydney drivers seemed to be able to the light change sequence and be on the horn if you haven't started moving as soon as the light turned to green. I developed the skill to time the sequence. It didn't make me a better driver but it meant that I wasn't beeped as often. :D

Back to the OP. When we see the Yellow "L" plates on a vehicle, we don't know if it is the learners first day or their last trip on the way to the RTA for their final test. They could have made a dumb move before the responsible driver could have reacted. He may have said, "change lanes" expecting the learner to have done all the requesit checks when he should have said something similar to "In your own time, when it safe to do so, after conducting checks over your shoulder, using the correct indicator, using your mirrors, judging the speed of surrounding traffic.... .... where was I?"

I would hate to be the driver leading a learner in traffic. Although this is a task I am resigned to, being the father of children. So I can only hope that the drivers surrounding my kids efforts are as quick to react as you, and are as able to hold in the rage and not attack us when the kids do something I didn't anticipate.