Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Learner course gear rqd?

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by OwenMM, Aug 11, 2009.

1. Im doing the rta learners course next week, If I have my own gear (helmet jacket etc) should I take it or just use whatevers provided? IE would i look like knob rockin up with all my own gear?

2. I don't understand why you'd look like a knob?

I used my gear in my 2 Q-Ride sessions.

It's clean, it fits, and it's yours. Take your own gear. :cool:
  3. as long as the gear meets safety standards go for it, it will better to do it in your own gear that makes you more comfortable
  4. If I had all my own when doing my course I would have worn it all.
    Yes you may feel a little funny, but remember it's no different to what you will wear when riding.

Gear that you 'borrow' from the training course is crap, heavily worn and usually doesn't fit good.

Take your own gear, coming off without gear hurts even at 10 km/h
  5. No it doesn't!

You're soft! :p :LOL:
  6. Did when it happened to me.
  7. Skanky, the word is skanky. And gross.

I would take your own gear purely on that count.
  8. Wear your own gear, if you have it.

I'm not sure about the NSW training providers, but HART in Victoria only provides a helmet and a pair of kevlar gloves. The rest of you is covered by a minimum of your own full-length sturdy clothing and enclosed shoes.
  9. Qld was the same when I did my testing. Though it was proper riding gloves but with holes worn in them.
    Oh and some helmets didn't have lining and hurt.
  10. Qld HART provided me with a helmet, gloves and jacket.. :?
  11. Helmets and gloves are provided at the training centres, and you will have to wear full length clothing as well.
    When I did my L's though, I took my own gear as I thought it would be better than wearing something that who knows how many people have worn.
    They do provide hair nets for if you are using one of there helmets.
  12. +1 on everyone else. Take and wear your own gear. Who cares what anyone else thinks? I didn't when I did my Ls and wore my own full set of gear. You have to wear it anyway so you may as well start with it sooner rather than later.
  13. +1 with taking your own gear.

When I was doing my Ps a bloke fell off and hurt his elbow. While it wasn't a serious injury he looked like he was in a fair bit of pain. Had I fallen off in the same circumstance with a proper jacked on with armour I wouldn't have been hurt at all.
  14. My own gear it is then!
    I'll admit I'm one of those people who worries about odd things!

15. Nothing wrong with asking questions - or being a bit odd :LOL:

Good luck with it :grin:
  16. Owen getting worried about the odd things, is normal here. Good luck with the course and enjoy!
  17. Hi can I also suggest WARM clothing & water proof if it rains :wink:

I had a learners course just recently where one lady turned up in jeans (not a problem) but just wearing a light poloshirt with a silly little lacy top over the top of that, not particulary warm & stood there shivering for most of the day.

Do plan ahead, check out the weather forecast & dress for the weather, you will be out in it regardless how wet it is :shock: