Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Learner close calls - pheeeeew

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by disk_1, Feb 3, 2007.

1. Hey everyone,

WOW. On friday I had two really close calls both on Spingvale Road.

1) Heading to work in the morning

80km/h in an 80 zone. A massive truck decides to do a U-turn from one side of sprinvale road to the other. He pulled out right in front of me and couldn't complete the turn and blocked all three lanes except about one meter of the far right.

I was in the middle lane. Squeezed front and rear. Good deceleration. Locked up rear. There was no chance I was going to be able to stop in time. Released the rear and got a big kick up the butt as I think the rear was sliding out a bit. Somehow managed to countersteer into the far right gap.

F*@&#K. I didn't even get a chance to use the horn or anything. So much happened so quickly I didnt even get a chance to get upset/angry. I pulled over and had to have a quick breather to calm myself down.

2) Heading down to the beach house last night. 70Km/h in an 80 zone.

I was in the far right lane overtaking the left and middle lanes which were stopped at the lights (just gone green).

P plater decides he wants my lane as it was clear in front and with no indicater quickly pulls out right in front of me.

I panicked a bit and jumped on the front brakes too hard. I made the almost fatal mistake of locking the front. I somehow remembered some advanced riding stuff I did with an older cousin and eased off the front completely. The bike sorted itself out and I got back on the brakes and lost enough speed to get out of trouble.

I was on the horn for a good 10 seconds. Horn was making sickly cracking noises by the end of the ordeal. I think i might get an airhorn as an upgrade.

These two incidents got the heart racing a bit. I am just glad I got out of it alright. These incidents opened my eyes a bit more to the absolute idiots out there.

Just thought I would share these with you all. Fire all critisms/input/advice etc. my way as it is great to get everyones input.

safe riding everyone and remember to wear your gear. It is for a reason.
    tom

2. Well done tom, 2 incidents without laying it down. that's win, win.

3. Nope, not going to criticise - welcome to sharing the roads with caged morons. One tip - do NOT focus on one thing when riding - be constantly scanning your surroundings. Puff of smoke from an exhaust stack, person glancing over their shoulder (if you're lucky) as they change position, etc etc.

Glad it opened your eyes and not your bowels :shock:

4. Never slam your brakes on, one time you may have a car behind you and they'll run straight up your ass. :shock:

Best thing is to look for the fastest exit, and always remain calm, you'll be able to react alot faster once your use to it and its not something people want to hear but you'll get use to it.

5. Tom, these are very wise words. It will come in time, but you have to survive the initiation. One thing that might assist, get a copy of the Vicroads ride safe cd. It's free and has value.
    Stay Safe

6. Dude, well done for keeping it upright.

Learn these early day lessons well!!!!!!!!!!

Right now you're also having some "shock" value to these incidents. In time, you'll roll with these punches and knock off a few mirrors in retribution perhaps...

Get as much ride time as possible so you're NOT spending mental energy on riding the bike and operating controls. You need as much awareness on the environment around you as possible.

Another tip, practice emergency braking often. Get to know how hard you can be on the front brake while not locking the rear. You can get all your braking from the front for sure, but in an emergency stop there's a "right" proportion of front and rear which will drag the bike's speed down the fastest. Won't bore you with the physics but it's true.

Ride well and long bro!

7. errr, dood, "a massive truck" cant just dart out in front of you.
    Hindsight is great n all but...........

The signs that the truck was about to do that would have presented themselves early enough to bring your bike from 80km/h to 0.8 fairly bloody quickly without the need to get all crossed up.

The second incident, well, yeah, well avoided and welcome to riding ;)

8. A car would have looked massive at this point to me. 'massive' represented a vehicle big enough to block 2 1/2 lanes. Not a rediculously slow and completely unmenouvorable road train or semi.

The truck had a rolling start and not pulling out from standstill. He basically just swung the thing around perhaps thinking 'i will make it' and/or 'got heaps of time'.

Hindsight, hmmm... maybe should have been switched on a bit more and expected him to come around on me rather than him stopping. It all happened pretty quick.

I survived and it is great to be able to analyse the situation at home rather than in hospital or worse.

Thanks for the advice guys.

cya,
    tom

9. I read that little article.

It is a bit of a panic situation when a big anything appears out of nowhere and it seems like you have no options. That is why i locked my rear wheel.

Luckily there was half a lane i could squeeze through to avoid a hit after i got off the rear brake.

I wasn't going freeway speeds either.

Condolences to family of the fallen rider

10. Well done for rescuing it, disk! That's top stuff. Experiences like that sure up your awareness of what might happen out there on the roads. We learn not to trust any other road user. I'm sure you're practising it much more now anyway, but always be thinking of where you'll go/what you'll do IF that person doesn't do as expected. Of course, we still get caught out. Once again, well done on keeping it shiny side up!

11. With peak hour traffic being Chock-a-block due to trains drama, drivers are getting impatient, frustrated etc.

Being quite a new rider myself, I've experienced a few incidents especially in the morning.

Just this morning, a car cut in front of me when he saw me approaching. I shake my head and all I get from the driver was a middle finger.. :shock: :shock: I was like "WTF ..." I moved on, don't want to argue with uncivilized people like these.

Lady driver (no offense here ladies) trying to kill me for not letting me merge into the traffic.. she nearly hit the car in front by closing the gap in between...

These behaviors are not necessary.. but unavoidable... wonder what bracksy is going to do about issues like this.. Motorcycles awareness program?

Just be extremely cautious fellow new riders... especially peak hour riding.

12. A lesson you can take away is always assume the worst when you have a large speed differential in traffic.
    I have seen so many times people pull out in that situation, that I always slow at least a bit when approaching.
    Have to agree with Vic re the truck too.
    Just try to anticipate traffic more, trust me, you get there just as quickly if you slow down for morons.

Regards, Andrew.

13. Only one serious issue here, Tom. You have a beach house that we don't know about. Get that fixed.

Otherwise, you're doing fine.

14. If you mean the beach house gym, no doubt i'll run into you (not literally I hope) there!