Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Learner: 250cc or larger?

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by Tonbi, Jan 7, 2008.

1. Ok, time to borrow some of the loads of experience on here.

So I'm in NSW and over 30 with Gold licence, so go straight to black licence. I'm 5'8 and about 75kgs and no previous bike experience.

My question is, should I stick with a 250cc bike or should I get something larger that's on the approved Ls list?

2. You don't go straight to full bike license, you need 3 months on Ls. Then you do the P test, at which point the restrictions are taken off and you can ride bigger cc bikes, but still can't pillion or have any blood alcohol%. Best idea is to borrow a bike from a mate for a few months, do the test then buy something decent. If you can't borrow something, buy a cheap 3-4k 250cc bike and sell it for the same price after 3 months.
  3. What you get by going for a bigger bike (over all) is Torque.
    Some of the 250s put out similar power once they are screeming there tits off. but the low down grunt of more CCs means that you can just controll your roll on powerwithout making the bike screem. You also get better suspension and breaks. And I'll be honest they are what I want most. If I were in a LAMs state, a larger bike would definately be a consideration.But that being said, the nimbleness (Is that even a word) of a little bike is quite addictive. You can just throw em around and they love it.
  4. phizog, you've found my flaw, the habit of skipping information, LMAO

I had realised that have to go through Ls first and then do Ps test, but get restricted black licence. Thanks for the heads up though.
  5. not quite,

you can get your L's on Monday due your MOST test Tuesday and fully licensed by Wednesday.

you just have to go through the motions eg
    Pre Learner course - Learner License - MOST - then blacks but no pillion for 12 months.

so really you can just use the rentals for both days if you really want
  6. Ahk, I didn't realise that.

In that case Tonbi, I'd suggest you just do the test and get fulls, then jump to a friendly 650cc ish machine, eg. sv650, er6, 620ie, gsx650f, etc.
  7. I think I agree with your earlier advice more... especially if it's directed at someone with no previous bike experience.

try to buy a 3-4k learner bike and do the 3 month stint on it (regardless of whether your on restrictions or not)... you'll work out if you like riding and you'll make mistakes on something that is cheap and easy to shrug off.

With a cheap learner bike you've invested fook all so if you drop the bike or hate it you'll sell it for near enough to what you paid 3 months later with just a couple extra 1000 clicks on the bike.

The 650's are friendly enough, but in the wrong persons hands they can be a weapon. One of the learner approved 500's would be much more forgiving and easy to learn on. Bikes like the Suzuki GS500 if you can pick one up cheap would be perfect and will keep you entertained for the 3 month stint.

Just my $0.02 of course... phizog is right tho, if your sensible enough and learn quick a 650 would be fine... but you probably won't know that until you've done a few thousand k's
  8. True. I'm going on the assumption that >30 is automatically mature.. Probably not a wise idea :LOL:
  9. hahaha yeah! :LOL:

Plus... besides for a lack of maturity, some people just aren't meant to ride. They're either too unco, lack confidence or just don't get it... unfortunately many of these people find out the hard n painful way! :facepalm:
  10. Hasn't stopped me though :cool: :grin:
  11. The new bike I got the GSX650F is easy to ride and a week or two on a 250 will give you that extra learning time to get more confindent on a bigger "easy" 650cc.

But having said that..buttitch has a very good point .Some people will handle it EASY as, and some will drop it 10 times in 10 minutes.
  12. Get the unres license, and then buy the bike you really want, be it 250-2000cc.

Don't worry about this bullshit of "oh, you are a newbie, you better not get a litre bike, you should just get a 600cc first" What a crock of shit!

Just get whatever you want. With that said, I give the benefit of the doubt here in that you are a mature person, who can exercise some self control on the throttle until you become more experienced. If you can't, well it will likely bite you.

you can ride any bike slowly, and smoothly regardless of cubic capacity, it's just how you the rider, choose to ride it.
  13. I'm going to stick a 10L engine in a bike just to prove you wrong.. letting the clutch out will result in cataclysmic speeds :LOL:
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. Yeah of course.... I agree with all the points you make in your post. It's possible to learn on anything if you use self control and common sense.

Some bikes are just more suited to the learning process and will be more forgiving when you fuk up. Different bikes put up with different levels of smoothness before you find yourself on your ass.
  15. When you get it built, I'll have a run on it :LOL:
  16. Thanks everyone for your thoughts. For now I'll just concentrate on doing the Pre Ls course and see how things feel from there.
  17. I was in exactly the same situation as you mate. I borrowed a bike to ride while on my Ls (having only ridden ag bikes as a kid) and once I passed my test I bought my 695 Monster. Admittedly it isn't a screamer, but it's plenty of fun and a lot more confidence inspiring on the highway than a 250.

I'd second Tweet's comment, buy what you like. I went through a bit of anguish as to whether I should get a 250 or not, with the benefit of hindsight I would have just been tearing up money. What I cannot emphasise enough though is that you need to ride a few different bikes, different styles even, before you commit to one.