Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Leaning

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by dan, Mar 3, 2005.

1. I saw a interesting book the other day that explained how leaning works to turn a motorcycle (which is obvious to a rider).

One of the more subtle things mentioned was the technique used to lean, especially in racing conditions. Basically there are a couple of ways you can do it:

- Push the bike under you and lean a fair bit, ala Mick Doohan
    - Hang of the bike extremely which leans the bike a bit less.

According to this book (by Aprillia) both techniques achieve the same cornering speed/line, but the lean angle of the bike and the centre of gravity of the rider are different.

Anyone have any technique preferences? That bloke I used to see in the morning on the Ducati who corners left from Russell St into Collins st is clearly a massive fan of "hanging off" the bike even though at about 25 kph :LOL:

2. I hang off like a monkey...it's the only exercise I do!

3. I tend to prefer to push the bike upright.
    Never been one for really hanging off the bike.

It's funny how my technique has changed with the different bikes I have ridden. On smaller, lighter bikes (CBR400) everything was about maintaining corner speed and really pushing the front end into a corner. Whereas as the bikes became more powerful (GSXR750, R1100S), turning the bike quickly, keeping it as upright as possible and getting the power down early to get good drive off the corner became more important.

4. I want a shirt that says that! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

5. 2nd taker! now get them made up :D

6. I guess alot depends on.

- Size of bike
    - Size of rider
    - Body and handle bar position
    - Whether the rider oir a wanker or a Squid.... :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

7. Hi there this my first replie. About the leaning bit I would say after doing track work leaning is the way to go. It helps keep the bike more upright giving you better traction and been able to roll the throttle on sooning after finding your turn point in the corner.

8. It depends on how lazy I feel.. Mostly I hang off the bike cos I think it's fun :twisted: .. However sometimes I just sit there and push the bike into corners.... Which also removes all of my chicken strips the cheating way :p ..

Lisa :twisted:

9. Depends on the road conditions.....

When i was in Tassie there was the occasional corner that had gravel on it and I found that pushing the bike down and keeping my body upright allowed me to change me line quicker if I need to. But my bike is quite easy to pickup around a corner and relaively harder to lay it into it when trying to change my line mid corner so being in a possition to push the bike down to tighten my line is an advantage. Not sure if the same is true on other bikes, my mates ZZR600 is easy to lay over and hard to pick it up mid corner, at least relative to the Blade.

But going around long sweeping bends on roads I know its a hell of a lot more fun to hang off the bike.

10. Is there some confusion here?

I took this to mean - push the bike more upright, away from you, whilst cornering, which is what I do.

and this to mean just as it says - hang off the bike with various extremities scraping along the ground (Jamie Whitham is an extreme example).

I didn't think that anybody actually pushed the bike lower ... except maybe for Abe, who rides it like a bucking bronco anyway.

But then maybe it's me. I can be very confused at times.

11. yeah it takes a physicist to figure some of this stuff out. I didn't get the name of the book but it was by aprillia - come to think of it I can't remember if they were trying to make a point by describing these techniques.

basically is was about changing the centre of gravity by positioning either the bike or the rider to acheive the same cornering. Obviously at low speeds (<20 kms), if you hang off the bike a fair way you are likely to stack i (unless you push the bike in the opposite direction). however you can travel pretty slow and still turn sharply by pushing the bike down underneath you (and looking where you want to go etc) and staying upright.

It is interesting to hear other riders preference, especially when they prefer on over the other for traction/control reasons.

12. hey dan you don't happen to remember the name of that book do you?

I've read through my mags and my literature collection has been exhausted, would be great to get my hands on something useful to read.

13. My uncle taught me on dirt bikes to sort of sit/stand upright and throw the bike down (if that makes any sense) but on the road I tend to push the bike away from me and point a knee at the apex. Works fine on a postie bike, not sure how well it will go on something heavier.

14. it was at the Technical Bookshop in Melb, I can't remember now - I'll have a look next time I'm there.

15. Third taker for the t-shirt, please, I just gotta have that.
    I'm too mediocre for cornering techniques to matter, although, when I get my new tyres tomorrow, that could all change!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

16. Could be: How and Why, Motorcycle Design and Technology, in collaboration with Aprilia by Gaetano Cocco. :)

17. I tend to hang off the bike when I'm on the track and even more so when its raining. Don't tend to hang off the bike on the road.

18. Sounds like a winner!!

19. thanks guys :D I'll check out if it's available on Amazon or something

20. good idea to "hang off" (shift body weight to the inside of the turn) the bike in the wet as it means the bike stays more upright, (bonus on wet, slippery surface), for any given corner at any given speed, other than that I wouldn't really condone extreme "hanging off" as good road riding technique, (even though it is f#!?*g good fun. :wink: