Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Leaning practice

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by GreenNinja, Apr 18, 2007.

1. I found the best way to practice leaning is at roundabouts.

Find a big, good surface roundabout and a suitable time (such as midnight, when it's really quite).

Ride in the CORRECT DIRECTION and using indicators, gradually increase your lean (don't get over confident) , and when you see a car or vehicle approaching indicate and leave roundabout and repeat.

I do stress to find a good location and a time when there is minimum or no traffic.
  2. Of course, the fact that most round-a-bouts have off cambers, build up of oil and are a bit of a meeting place for vehicles, could turn you off this idea.

The other alternative for practicing leaning is going to the track and doing a course, but each to his own.
  3. inspect the roundabout before hand, I've found some suitable ones near mates house.

I don't think on a track is a good idea, a track is a place for high speeds and thats no where a new learner biker should be.

I also add that it is high speed cornering aswell, and u gonna fork out $150 or so....
  4. I have heaps of round abouts near where I live and I practice when I come home late at night. I kinda know which one is suitable for practicing (no oils, least off camber, size). I practice it to gain some confidance and since then I find I can corner a little better but still not too sure if its right or not still need some1 to correct me.
  5. +1, roundabouts are great for getting comfortable with lean angles.
  6. Honestly I think a well surfaced, twisty road out of town that you know well is better. That way you don't have the same issues with other traffic entering the roundabout, off camber corners, oil and gravel etc... that roundabouts usually pose. :)

The other bonus is that in the twisties you can go left. :grin:
  7. yeah, well that's the only thing canberra is good for.

one fooking giant roundabout :wink:
  8. :LOL: so true!

The roads over there are so good!! makes syd like a damn sh@t hole!! lol
  9. Then go to the US and do the same for left hand cornering practice :!:
    I can think of better places to practice mate :?
  10. Not everyone wants to fork out ~$100 for a track day, plus most leaners won't have full leathers.

From experience the best way to learn cornering is to do some twisties. Take them slow and do it on a quiet day - pull over for cars if necessary. I've found that after 30mins on a windy road my cornering skills improve out of sight. BUT Like I said: Take it slow and have some boundaries with yourself like sticking to the recommended speed signs or something.

In Vic I'd recommend Mt Dandenong as the roads are good and the speed limits are pretty low.
  11. Roundabouts are the best to practice to do leaning, that how I first practice in the back streets in my area.

Just some quick questions...

If you are going slowly, can you really lean as much?
    There are a couple of times when I was going on a corner... not a roundabout, I was going so slow and leaned, I felt like I was going to fall off and I had to use my foot to push me back up right. Is this normal or am I just going tooooooo slow?

12. If you put ur foot down I think it might be abit too slow...
  13. +1 on the roundabouts.... i love it...

but u can only go one direction... hahahaha
  14. I agree. If you live near some well surfaced twisty sections these are probably the best for initial practice. Do a few slow runs through first then pick up speed a little and get some angle. Roundabouts can be good, but most large ones are only empty at night (which isn't usually the best time for learners) and obviously you don't get your left turns.
  15. Much better to find a nice bit of road out of town to practice leaning, posture and peripheral vison, you'll also practice u-turns as you'll use the same piece of road for a few hours. Go with an experienced rider so they can give you tips and you can take turns leading and following. But if your only option is roundabouts, then be smooth on cold tyres.
  16. I've a bit of trouble getting my knee down on the right hand side, so some of those roundabouts in crossroads might be good for some practice :LOL:
  17. yep you need need some speed to lean, I wouldn't go lower then 15 kms and try to lean. You'll lose balance.

Yeah twisties are good too, but If i could find twisties near my place I'll go. But i can tell you there isn't many around.
  18. Come to Canberra, we'll help you get your lean on.

Great roundabouts to practice on, a lot of great suburban corners and great twisties.
  19. That's a good point, sometimes a roundabout is more feasible.. I don't live near a large roundabout, but am at the foot of a great set of twisties. In that respect, i guess i'm biased.

Leaning just feels all wierd if you're not goin fast enough. If you are able to put your foot down to push yourself back up i'd say it's not fast enough to use noticeable lean. The key to safely getting good lean angles is to recognise how weight shift and counter-steer affect the way in which the bike acts. As someone said, the best way to do this is on a track with instructors. This isn't always possible/affordable, so it's a good idea to take advantage of the mentoring some of the NR members are sometimes willing to offer. Most of my progress has been due to the advice of other riders on NR group rides. Best ways to learn imo.