Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Leaning in the wet ?

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by xcamx, Apr 23, 2006.

1. Hi Gang,

My questions is, How far can you lean in the wet in comparison to the dry?

Obviously tyres, weight, bike and many other factors come into play but just in general?

I have been riding for a couple of years in the wet but i'm still unsure of this.

I generally go really slow around corners because im so worried of the bike sliding out from under me, especially on my new bike.

2. You can only go as far as your confidence will allow you to.

The bike wont fall over if you lean over in the wet. Providing the road surface is good, your tyres are warm and are of good quality and you are smooth with the throttle.

Doesn't help much I know but if you stick (no pun intended) to the "i'll ride to my limits" you should be right.
  3. takes a brave and foolish man to ride based on "I don't think i'll fall off"
  4. When its raining and there is good traction on the road surface, I'll ride similarly to usual.
    On the otherhand when its raining and there is poor traction due to moss, snow and possibly ice, I'll tend to hang off the side of the bike in a manner similar to the track in order to have the bike stand more upright and use a larger contact patch.
  5. I've read something like 80% of lean angle in the wet? I'm the same, take it easy, but most of the riding in the wet for me is commuting in the city across painted arrows and the like. Here's a picture from the FZ forum, fairly decent lean angle in the wet on a black spur type of road:
  6. If you have the right tires, tire warmers, warm up laps, balls of steel and this much talent, you can even get a knee down in the wet.

I generally tiptoe in the wet when commuting as you can almost the tire temperature won't be that high thanks to the water everywhere, and you don't have nearly as much grip. If I'm doing some decent speeds and the tyres warm up a bit, even wet surfaces can offer a fair degree of grip, but I'd rather not push my limits in these conditions.
  7. thanks guys, great stuff!!! :)
  8. I find if I go round corners about 10-20% slower than when it's dry, I have about as much lean as I am confortable with.
    So I just use that as a guide, and if the corner is off camber or whatever, I use a bit less lean angle.
    I also use the whole lane, to increase the radius of the corner and again reduce lean angle, but I am just a learner, so take it as you will.

Regards, Andrew.
  9. Race tyres have more rubber on the road when they're leaning.
    A race track is a lot more predictable than a road being that you go around and around and get a feel for the conditions of each corner. I'm sure Rossi wouldn't do this at the traffic lights in the wet on the way home from work.