Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Leaky exhaust on zzr250, help needed.

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by rb, Jul 14, 2006.

1. I've noticed that my z's exhaust is leaking a fair bit. The pipes coming from the engine don't join neatly to the chrome cans, and a lot of exhaust gas is escaping from there. If I cover up the ends of both cans, the bike still runs smoothly at idle, and all the exhaust goes out the leaks, so the gaps are quite big. I'm guessing that things have been bent a bit by the previous owner dropping the bike. :(
    So my question is, what should I do about it? Money is pretty tight, so I'm not too keen on getting an exhaust place to weld/seal it back up. I could use some of that high-temperature "epoxy metal", the stuff that sets chemically hard. Or, I pull the exhaust system off and see if I can sleave the pipes somehow where they join together. I've been half inclined to pull the pipes off anyway at some stage, because they are covered in surface corrosion that will be much easier to polish out if I take them off.
    Any other ideas, suggestions, solutions? Cheers. :)

2. There is a join down on the pipe, but it sounds like its leaking from the bit where if flares out from pipe to muffler?

Talk to an exhaust place because it might be cheaper then you think. Welding bits of exhaust isnt that hard. Ive had the entire exhaust on a car welded back on after it fell off and it was only $60.

The mufflers should come off fairly easy, just under the footpegs is where they join.

I think anything else will be a waste of time beause it will just break again in a month, plus will look like abslute crap.
  3. You can get muffler putty from k-mart.

Pull the cans off, clean it ans smear some about, then put it back together.

Get it warn and Robert's your mothers brother.

Do get it fixed, because it can cause exhasut valve failure, if you get air back up the pipe and that's a lot harder to fix
  4. Well, the weekends here and I've got no plans, so I might pull it off and have a better look. I think it's been welded up before by the looks of things, if it's cheap I might drop into a muffler place.