Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Leaking Carbs

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by patske, Sep 29, 2005.

1. Hey guys, I've got an FZR250 which I notice smells like fuel alot. It seems to leak a small amount of fuel from the carbs around the float bowl area, and I think the two float bowls closest to the ground when the bike is on it's side-stand leak more than the other two.

Anyone got any suggestions?
  2. Stuck float, or incorrect float height, would be my first guess.
  3. First Point is the fuel actually coming out of the over flow lines, small plastic tubes that typically come from the side of the carb and hang down to the crank case ??? Carb is flooding indicating needle and seat issue, or alternatively Float height.

Secondly has the vaccum lines to the fuel tap been got at as with the bike running this is the only time when the tap will flow fuel in the on position

Third point does this happen with the bike just sitting overnight or after a ride?

Are the drain screws in the bowl tight ?

Is there signs of it leaking from the float bowl joint ?

Quick way to check is to clean carbs with carby clean pressure pack and then dust carbs with talc powder, non smell type or Brut if you prefer and then take for quick spin around block and then park it for a while any leaks from the bodies you will pick up pretty quick as talc wet lines in talc powder.

Good luck