Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Leaking battery, how much for replacement?

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by emilmh, Jun 12, 2006.

1. Hi,
    I did a search and found nothing useful.
    My bike battery is leaking, and thus it will get to the point where i need to replace it. How much will i be up for? Its my first bike and a 250 so i hate the thought of spending money on it cos im gonna upgrade in about 5/6 months, so its basically money down the drain on a bike that otherwise i could most likely get my money back on (it was a good buy).
    If its really cheap i'll prob buy one, otherwise try fix the battery as it is.

The problem itself is strange, cos the batery works perfectly so far but it "leaks" acid. I see it on the ground and frame, plus one of the chamber thingies was pressureised when i opened to check, which none of the others were. im gonna check water level today and top up, but its still gonna leak...:(

So basically how much for a new battery for a Kawasaki GPX250? (yes i am VERY tight with money and thus i cringe at spending money on one)

Thanks for your hep guys!
  2. you can get after market ones for around 50-60 from a motorcycle shop. if you want the expensive jap stuff, they cost around 140.

some might say aftermarket ones are good enough but they dont hold charge as well and the material they use inside is not as good quality.

hope that helps
  3. sounds to me like the vents are blocked - to avoid having your arse covered in nasty stuff, by the cheapest one you can find as you said you'll be getting rid of it soon.

Groups like supercheap flog small wet motorcycle batteries that would do the job for about $35 in sydney - see what you can find from the yellow pages. You'll need a rough physical size and, if you want to make life easy for yourself, where the terminals sit and what shape they are. Anything from a 6 to 20 amp hour unit will do the job for you.