Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Leading/Following other Riders

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by stewy, Oct 4, 2005.

?
  1. Lead

100.0%
  2. Follow

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. ok after reading Skuffy thread, about riding within your abilities it got me thinking about a ride i was on the weekend and the difference between me leading and then following another bike.

I tend to find that if i am following another bike i don't feel like i ride the bike as smoothy as i do when i was leading.... I find seem to run wrong lines, and generally poor cornering skills. As oposed to when i am leading, seem to get the line right, gears right, both entry and exit speeds right, no over/unshooting corners etc.

Does Anyone else find this? :?

Is there somethingi am doing wrong when following?

2. I think you'd find that most of us feel the same; I certainly THINK I ride better when I'm in front or alone. When I'm riding with others, either in front or behind, I tend to be conscious of their expectations.....

3. i'm a follower. everything comes easier when all i have to do is correct a line rather than think one up for myself :LOL:

plus i tend to ride like a nutbag by myself, i'm a much safer rider when i'm thinking of the other riders around me. when i'm by myself and havn't got anything but cages to think about, i tend to just do whatever i feel rather than giving it a quick thought first. its fun being nutty, but i'm sure i'll live longer if i keep going riding with others :LOL:

4. Yeah I'd prefer to follow, if less thinking is involved im a happy chappy!!

5. I hate following, but generally if I'm riding with other folk, they know the way and I don't, so in order to avoid getting lost I drop behind :oops: Also the people I ride with are usually faster, and on faster bikes, which doesn't help :LOL: But I still hate following... -J.

6. Reading 'The Riding Bible' on the weekend suggested that the more experienced rider should always be in the lead. And having been in both situations - leading & following - tend to agree with this. Taking into consideration the more experienced rider - or person who's more familiar with the roads/condiitons of course.

7. I prefer to follow, hate holding people up and I normally get lost on rides. :oops: :oops:

8. I have found that riding behind someone else affects my riding in two main ways. One - if that person is slower, erratic in pace, or rides different lines than me, I find I get distracted from my own line in trying to watch out for them and end up not looking at them instead of forward round the corner. Then my riding turns to crap! Usually I just keep enough distance so they are not a distracion and I can get a clear line of sight round the corners, but if needing to close in to pass it can happen. I find the same with slow cars in front - I can't see forward enough to ride my line well, and keeping one eye on them at the same time can end up sometimes more than my blond little brain can handle! :LOL:

Otherwise, if (as is more usual for me!) the person I'm following is a better rider than I am, I try to learn from their lines etc and improve my riding. I keep that, however, within the limits of just how much I will push myself. If they are too fast for me, I will let myself drop back, keeping to the pace that I am challenging myself without scaring the s**t outta myself! That way I learn rather than freak out! :)

Well, that's the theory anyway!!! :D

9. I dig both.

Lead to work out your vision, follow to work out your technique and learn from the forward riders.

IT's alllll good!

10. jarrah thats excalty what i am finding too.... this is not so much about following a quickier rider but more about but more about correct conrering techinques and i find i lose this even by following riders of similiar riding pace

11. I enjoy both too, as long as I know where I'm going.

I don't like following too much. I prefer to let the person in front of me go and stay in the middle of the pack if possible. So as to have no one in front or behind me.

12. So what about smaller 2-4 people rides?

13. Happy to do both, but I find that when leading I worry about the group too much to enjoy the ride. Always wondering if I am going too fast or not fast enough and worrying about where that next turn off is.

(Also with xxsteve in that I frequently get lost.)

14. Smaller groups tend to be with people who I know and ride with regularly so we tend to mix it up a little and I don't mind leading or following with these people. As long as everyone rides to their own limits then all is good.

15. Haven't had that problem - but have followed leaders who've gone the wrong way! Stopped, waited, no return, chased after them, which was immensly fun anyhow :D Then got back on track.

16. Hey Black Betty, your avatar reminds me of Wonder Woman.

17. Her names Betty Page :)

18. It suggests one thing (and it's got nothing to do with speed): either you or the one you followed is running the wrong lines through corners. Following someone else, one tends to get suckered into watching them and following them (more or less). If the chosen line (of the leader) is markedly different to the ("natural"-)line of the follower, the follower will feel uncomfortable.
    (ergo...one of the 2 is running the wrong lines)

Another point would be following too closely, where the follower runs onto the leader constantly, having to adjust speed/ lines etc, therefore feeling uncomfortable.

19. Ah, Sweet Betty... She's a right fox but not a patch on my one true love (after my man, motorcycles and beer) Louise Brooks.

Wow that's really off topic. Um, I generally defer to a more experienced/skillful rider (unless they are taking it too easy for me) since I'd probably piss them off if they had to follow my erratic cornering :roll:

But I still hate following.

20. The sole reason I like to give a bit of space....its easier to back off on a straight than around a corner.