Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

LD rider dropping by

Discussion in 'Welcome Lounge' started by OX-34, Nov 22, 2013.

  1. I'm a part of the long distance community.

    Dropping by for more mainstream content.
  2. Welcome to the middle of the road.
  3. Thanks.
  4. What bike you riding?
  5. I'm on a Super Tenere currently. Fitted with aux tank, aux lights etc. I've had that for 2 years.

    Recently hit a roo that wrote off one FJR.
    Gave another FJR away to a bloke in the US after the Iron Butt Rally this year.
    Recently sold my YZF-R15 after testing it for a 2000km day.

    Always looking for a 'next bike'.
  6. Welcome to NR!
  7. Hello and welcome :)
  8. :) G'day OX ;)
    your antics will open an eye or 2 here :ROFLMAO: , specially the 150 trip
  9. I better start slow then :ROFLMAO:
  10. I can't match that, my best was 1228kms in a day on a 600 Hornet.
    Welcome to Netrider, too!
  11. Bugger that mate , bring it on !
  12. #12 OX-34, Nov 23, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2013
    Ok, here's the report about the 2000km day on the onefiddy. No pics, though because I'm too new around here and can't post links for a few more days.

    LAMs FRY

    Wombattle wasn’t finished with the little Honda CBR125R after his SS1600K just a few days before. I wasn’t finished with the bigger Yamaha YZF-R15 after the “Singles” SS1600K a while back.

    We both just wanted to have a crack at a SS2000K day. Simple really.

    What info had been gleaned from our rides was the difficulty of maintaining the desired overall average speed (OA of 83.3km for 24 hours) for the planned 2000km.

    We discussed a couple of routes. One was my Kidman Way plan, run in reverse. The other was Craig’s freeway run south with Finley loop that he had completed a few times before. He’s introduced a bunch of riders to IBA runs on that one.

    Both were ok, but featured lots of single lane running. The little bikes can’t muster much for overtaking on the open road, so we would only achieve the OA of the slowest vehicle on the road out in the sticks.

    In the end I suggested “Lets just ride the little fellas to Melbourne and back in a day?”. Done.

    The interstate out and back IBA run is a standard approach in the USA, so we weren’t reinventing the wheel.

    My bike was pretty well sorted. TigerBill and I just changed the tailbag to a larger one to accept the 10litre jerry can I was going to carry. It has a couple of wide beam dodgy Chinese 10W spots up front and a Kaoko throttle lock from a BMW R1200GS and I threw on a magnetic tankbag.

    Wombattle’s lovely little bike got a pair of proper Twisted Throttle Denali 2s, a custom jerry rack out the back and a Starcom. We bolted on a Garmin handheld eTrex 10 each for running the numbers and made the plan for a 0200am leave in Newcastle. That time selected to miss the Sydney traffic on Pennant Hills Road on both legs.

    TigerBill was mad enough to get up and meet us at the servo so we had him witness the start, grabbed a docket each and rolled out about 02:15am

    First stop was just 13km up the road. Although heading south was the plan for the day, a little swing north to the top of the F3 for a corner docket was needed to squeeze in a few extra km.

    Another wave off by TigerBill and we were gone. Now, I’ve never seen myself on the R15. I’m 180cm and a hundred or so kgs. Craig is six five in the old money and 90kg himself. Not ridiculous, but Wombattle is no Bob Munden and looks like a giant on that orange buzzbox. All folded up out of necessity, knees and elbows everywhere.

    Onto the freeway and the night of the staring began. Staring at the OA endlessly, staring at the tacho and praying for the sweet spot, staring at the tailgate of any truck we could draft for a few minutes.I’ve ridden with Wombattle and JP out on the road before. They sit in rock steady 2 man formation, front right and rear left – standard for group riding. They know each other well and can go like that for hours. They also tend to ride bikes where sitting on the speed limit is a legal requirement, not an out of reach desire.

    Being on the ‘big’ bike I took the lead. Craig’s lights were great - easy to see, easy to pick from the cars behind and because he runs the Denalis in dual mode easier still to figure out how far behind me he was when the one light became 3 up real close.

    Elbows flapping about so I could see under my armpits back to the CBR, I tried to gauge a good travelling speed. The OA was locked. We knew what was required. The MA was the hard part. The Yamaha gets along a bit faster than the Honda. Any incline and I slowed. But any incline and Craig seemed to just disappear behind me, only to slowly slide up on my left as the road leveled again. I eased off and rode behind for a while to better get a sense of his revs and speed. All the while the Yamaha couldn’t hold the 110km/h anyway. We were just buzzing along in our own little world, passed by most and passing the lame ducks only.

    Down through Sydney and suburban streets deserted, right turn onto the M2/M7 and an OA over 90. It took a little while, but we got the number up and held it there. A few drops of rain from about the Hawkesbury, but generally clear skies for the next couple of hundred. With both of our reserve lights flashing I pulled up under an overpass right outside the Sally’s Corner Service Centre. Not in the forecourt where Craig expected – on the side of the road under the “bridge” . Dry and light enough, we grabbed the jerry cans - I don't think servos like people filling from cans at the bowsers and I didn't want the hassle. The Honda’s tank takes 13 litres, the Yamaha 12. With just 10 litre jerry cans the bikes’ range can be almost doubled. Jerry cans to save precious time vs in petrol station queues this was the plan: a bit over 2000km to the last servo before the Melbourne Ring Road and back, split roughly in quarters by stops in Gundagai each way. Add a mid-leg jerry can stop and its just 8 little tanks to Melbourne and back.

    Back on the bike, I saw Craig’s headlight come on and I gassed it away as fast as the 149cc would carry me, trying to reach freeway speeds in the light traffic and dark. Bend the elbow and no Wombattle.. I pulled over up ahead to see what happened. Nothing amiss, Wombattle sailed by at 95, keen to latch on to the next truck’s slipstream.

    By now we were getting an ok pace. Never steady, the hills wreck that, but by the time we rolled in to the Shell at South Gundagai we were ahead of the plan. I’d routed a necessary 85km/h into the spreadsheet in our tankbags.

    On a tight run like this SS2000 it doesn’t matter how fast you go or how long you stop. Not one bit. The only thing that matters is the OA. Ride fast or slow, have quick or slow fuel stops – it doesn’t matter. Just so long as your actual OA never ever drops below your target OA. Many delude themselves that they can “make up time” later in a ride. Good luck with that is all I say.

    We carried an OA of 93 into Gundagai. Sweet. Time for a quick drink, a leak, a 2 tank refill and still 13 minutes ahead. Craig said he was still a bit sore following the SS1600 earlier in the week. I was fresh so had no problems. I also had the luxury of 4 more horsepower so I could sit up and move around.

    Into first, round the back of the servo and gun it into the Hume Highway traffic again. Not that there was much traffic. In fact, looking under my armpits, nothing. Sitting up, I turned around and saw Wombattle slow to the side, a long way back. I eased off a bit and watched, then found a safe place and rolled to a stop. Probably earplugs. We’ve all done it. Its 8:30am now, sunny and cool. Earplugs. That’s gloves and maybe liners, helmet off, beanie off, earplugs out of the pocket, in the ears, beanie on, helmet on and buckled, liners, gloves on and he should be here by now. Maybe its not earplugs?

    U-turn through a gap and back north again. He’s standing by his bike. U-turn through a gap and pulled up behind him. He’s on the phone. He’s on hold.

    “The bike’s dead”. He’s safe, dry and warm. There’s nothing to fix. He’s in the NRMA – corporate membership – thats $3000 worth of breakdown cover. I offer him my Yammie for $2500………. He pat’s me on the shoulder and says “ride on – I would”. He’s right. I’m not deserting him at a time of need., the NRMA will have him sorted. I didn’t even take off my helmet. “I’ll be back here in 10 hours”, let out the clutch and continued south – solo.

    Back on the numbers. Lost a bit of time there, but not much. Craig had been able to grow a little buffer, I just tagged along. His bike blew up. Would mine?

    Nice day for riding. The Hume’s more fun this way. I don’t mind it at night, but usully hate it during the day. But that’s on litre bikes. More than a litre usually, like most LD riders choose. On a little bike its different. There’s no acceleration to speak of, no making up for errors. Its on the clocks and seat of the pants and scanning ahead and feeling the buzz. The Yamaha has enough power, its just hard to find it at speed. Over 8000 RPM and its happy, but redlines at 10500. Craig’s bike blew up.

    Over 8 and up to maybe 10 was my plan. But the gears don’t help much. The holy grail was to snick it into top with momentum and hold it at 8000 and watch it slowly climb. Usually it was snick it into top at 8 and watch it slowly subside. Down a couple and try again. I estimate I hit the speed limit 15 times in the day.

    Into Victoria it’s a bit flatter. Police a joy. There were a few about but I was in no danger. Chin on the tankbag, feet on the pillion pegs, wringing its neck and no flashing red and blue for me.
    Made the turnaround on time. Coopers Road in Epping, just short of the Ring Road and topped up the tanks. Grabbed a drink, even ate something and back on the bike. With an OA of 90.3 on an MA of 96.6 I was half way and the ride was in no danger. But Craig’s bike blew up.

    Back on the road and into side winds worse northbound. The bike was running just fine. Sit up, sit back, use all 4 pegs, throttle lock, stand up, do the exercises.
    Just cruising really. Topped up from the jerry for the last time somewhere with the reserve light flashing. I’d redone the numbers and rejigged the stops. Gundagai at the Dog on the Tuckerbox this time. Changed gloves and put the balaclava back on- its getting cold. I never really warmed up at all on this ride, but its only getting colder from here on. One tank at a time, about 300km at this speed.

    Yass, Goulburn, Marulan, Sally’s Corner…….. Pheasant’s Nest. Striking distance now so I took a little time at this stop.

    I checked for damage. About 10ks back I hit a wombat, both tyres straight over. He was already dead I think, 4 little feet in the air. I’d been in my usual place: left lane, right wheel track. I was passed by 2 cars, the second pulling a trailer with a race car on the back. Me at 101, them a bit faster. Taking a while to come past, the trailer car pulled in front of me by just a few metres. Not unsafe at all, he was pulling away. But straight out from under the trailer I saw the wombat. Just a little one, as small as any you may have seen, straddled by the wheels of the trailer. I had little time to react. Held the bars and lifted out of the seat. Boom boom, both wheels. No shimmy, no fuss. Glad I hit him square on though.

    Pheasant’s nest. Hot chocolate, no damage. All good. Almost home, 250km to go and 4 hours to do it. More traffic from here but it all flowed just fine. Passed by everyone, cruising home in the dark. No rain, no pressure.

    F3 to Beresfield and pulled in for fuel.. TigerBill and Wombattle were there waiting, they’d followed me on SPOT. Craig hadn’t slept. A ride home in the tow-truck the 550 kays, his bike in his garage, more plans afoot.

    TigerBill was at it again, up to witness a rider at a servo in the middle of the night –madness. :bow

    2040km on the clock in 22 hours and 36 minutes on a 149cc bike. :ROFLMAO:
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Excellent write up . Amazing !
  14. What an interesting and different way to enjoy your motorcycling. Big effort.
  15. Its bike riding gluttony, I suppose. :p
  16. G'day Ron
  17. Welcome. That was a good read. You're certainly keener than I am.
  18. Hey Ox, it's Doc here. Nice to see you round these parts mate.
  19. welcome and thank you for some great reading, bored shitless at work was picturing you riding thru the nite, I winced at the poor wombat. well done congrats!