Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Laziness - a revelation

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by Sir Skuffy, Oct 23, 2006.

1. Morning all,

For some time now I have always struggled with the big 1400 on downhill twsities.... She is such a big bike to brake hard and then try tunring on a down hill that I am a little slower.

So, whilst riding back from Jindabyne early Sunday morning, through Thredbo, I tried a few things and then WHAM, it hit me,

1. ATTACK position.
    What I mean hear is the basic priciple in trail, MX and SM riding.. The agressive forwd stance with elbows bent/out...... With the elbows already bent, you have placed yourself in a position that allows greater exertion on the bars when counter steering. Remember, I have MX bars on the bike, so this position works for me.

2. No Fear
    I mastered down hill Trail riding many years ago by attacking it, accelerating and relaxing... letting the bike dance, just lead the dance, not fight it. So, the same theory applies also..... Dont man handle the bike on down hills, just control it a little more........ A little more focus on body position to releave the pressure on the upper body.... Clutch the tank more with your thighs, and lean into the corner more.....

Anyways, just thought I would share this.
  2. Yeah it's a funny one... You've certainly got to be comfortable hitting the anchors, then getting off and settling the bike before corners to go quick down a hill.

The extra weight on your nose that the incline causes can have a big effect on the steering - as can the extra speed you tend to carry, and the harder braking you have to use.

I've found a well set up and confidently used rear brake has been the key for me to gain confidence in the downhills. When I got comfortable with that, I found myself pulling away on the downhills from a couple of guys that walk away from me on a climb.

It fits with the Keith Code TOTW2 stuff; you've got to get excess weight off the front wheel to make the bike easier to turn.
  3. Hey Loz....

"It fits with the Keith Code TOTW2 stuff; you've got to get excess weight off the front wheel to make the bike easier to turn."

Dude, we are going down hill, you will always have MORE weight on the front of the bike that going up or on the flat... Poor Keith Codes, once again applying race track theory to the road :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
  4. This makes complete sense. I recently caught my first ride on a sport bike and found my forward lean and weight on the front bars make every corner and turn so much easier than the Hornet. Making me think I should have gone a for a bike with less upright riding position. But I might have to try just leaning forward more on the twisties next time.

I have been doing it on the freeways just to try minimising wind hitting me in the face and chest, but never really thought of putting it to use in the fun stuff.

Great Post Sir!!
  5. You ninny, that's what I'm saying! Because you've got more weight on the front wheel on a downhill, you have to take more measures to get the weight back off the front wheel.

Brake hard before the entry point, using lots of rear brake to settle the bike back and control fork dive. Then, release the front brake to decompress the forks while trailing rear brake to set your final entry speed, and crack the throttle so you're accelerating slightly on entry. Roll on as you go through to keep the rear tyre weighted.

...Works fer me!