Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

NSW Law on merging

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by philski, Jul 9, 2016.

1. so on my daily commute there is a point where the left lane ends and needs to merge over a dotted line. The safe and fair way is to zipper merge and let the car in front merge however the law says different,

The second picture is applicable.

I'm sure most of us would disregard this and do the simple and safe thing but just thought i'd share as no one I've spoken to so far is even aware of this stupid little quirk in our road rules.

Also the third picture is interesting as it appears you do not need to turn into the closest lane in some situations, which seems hugely dangerous.

I know i might be a bit pedantic but we all know that on the bike we are sometimes at the mercy of others ignorance.
  2. the ending lane item has been this way in NSW for a long time, I'd be surprised if it wasn't well known, even if it's not widely adhered to. some seem to think that merely putting their blinker on gives them cart blanche to enter any lane they like and they no longer have to give way. it's always wise to be cautious when on the m/c in these situations - I know I have nearly been caught out by oblivious idiots in their cars.

as far as the turning from the right lane into the right lane this too should be known and practiced by everyone but I'm sure it is the cause of many SMIDSY's and minor accidents. I think one of the only exceptions would be where there are dotted lines painted indicating which lane to turn into. it's another good reason to filter to the front and get away from drivers that can't stay in their own lane when turning a corner.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. it always helps to be aware of the laws that apply to the state you are riding in.
    indeed it is your responsibility to follow the laws of the state or country you are riding in :p

it's probably worth full licence holders revisiting the road rules every couple of years...
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. I'm from Victoria, but I always thought you only had to turn into the closest lane when there is multiple lanes turning. Otherwise I would usually turn into the further lane, just because it makes it an easier turn. Why do you think it's hugely dangerous to turn into the wider lane?
  5. yep but i was a bit surprised to find how many people didn't know about the first one, it's just common sense over the rule of law i suppose. the turning into the closest lane on the other hand used to be a daily headache for me leaving my old work as there was no filter arrow or curved lines meaning if we wanted to get more than one vehicle through per light cycle we had to pray the other-side turned into their lane too. I'm usually against anything nanny state'ish but maybe periodic road rule refresher test's could be of use.... not to mention bringing existing rules up to scratch. I dunno at the end of the day its not a big deal, think i might wash the bike... or have a beer... the bikes clean enough.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. #6 philski, Jul 9, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2016
    i meant when the other side is turning at the same time,normally id just wait till it was clear but as i said above there are some situations where its necessary.
    i take the wider turn if its safe too
  7. Ahh okay that makes sense, I definitely keep well clear of the opposite side's traffic.
  8. Ok, in reference to the second picture re merging. The standing principle across all the rules is that if you have to cross the line you have to give way to the lane you are moving into. The principle holds whether you are overtaking, changing lanes, at an intersection ... everywhere. The first picture, with no end of lane marking, is where you are supposed to zipper in. It's been this way since before I started driving in the 80s, it's never been a secret and it's always been made perfectly clear in the relevant driver's manuals from the RTA etc. Why is this such a mystery??
    The simple and safe thing is to give way to traffic already in the lane you want to move into. Period.
    • Agree Agree x 5
  9. Yep that's the theory.
  10. Yeah, I know there's plenty of pricks that just waltz straight across the lines without looking, too. Had it many times no matter if I was on the bike or driving a bright red fire truck. Some idiots just cannot be bothered to look and give way and get wildly indignant if called out on it.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Do all states allow bikes in the Bus and Transit lanes (not counting Bus Only lanes) ?
  12. #12 CraigA, Jul 9, 2016

This makes it pretty clear I reckon, although you wouldnt think so going by the driving standard in QLD
    • Like Like x 2
  13. Thank you. Nice and simple, innit.
  14. They have some good ones one other stuff that most drivers stuff up too, like roundabout usage for example!
  15. #15 CraigA, Jul 9, 2016
    Pretty sure that's the case, but would pay to check each states laws. Its OK in Tassie.
    ROAD RULES 2009 - REG 156 156. Transit lanes
    Where are you planning on riding barry_mckibarry_mcki ?
  16. I know Canberra and NSW allows bikes in the bus lanes, but wasn't sure about Vic as I remember reading on here there being a hassle down on Hoddle Street a little while back.
  17. Twas but a misunderstanding!
  18. You should turn in the lane you are turning from. If you don't you are effectively changing lanes and the rues related to changing lanes apply. You must indicate and ensure that the lane is clear before changing lanes, if you don't you are breaking the law.
  19. luckily the rules make it pretty obvious :)

• Agree Agree x 1