Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Laverda - thoughts/opinions?

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by jd, May 25, 2006.

1. Been browsing the used bike sales and have noticed some modern Laverdas (namely the 750s and 650 Ghost) seem to be quite reasonably priced. Not really familiar with the company (though I know they did produce bikes during the 70s) - just wondering if anyone has any info (or links to info) on the more modern bikes. I'm guessing they're manufacturing their own engines so interested to know what they're like in terms of reliability, running costs etc. and whether they're worth considering (or should I just stick to looking at Japanese bikes).

2. Knew there had to be a reason why they were so cheap - and all seem to have low kms. Thanks for the warning.
    Edit: For the record there was a post made in between mine answering my question which for some reason has been deleted (nothing in it breached the T&Cs so guessing it must have been down to who posted it).
  3. Yah, the original Laverda's from the 70's and 80's were really nice bikes but the modern ones are grenades waiting for a place to explode.
  4. They were, but they initially had their problems too. The original electrics on the Jota were the work of the devil. They got sorted out over time, and are now really nice bikes. Maybe the current ones will be too with some sorting, who knows?
  5. My Guzzi Dealer Frontline Motorcycles (0269254933) used to sell Laverdas,and has (last time I was there) still a brand new Ghost on the 'floor...but they're are no longer in production,being bought out by the Piaggio Group,& pigeoned-holed...a young bloke in town has one,which is now sorted,and loves it...but has a wreck in the shed for spares...enough said...anyway ask here.., http://groups.msn.com/Laverda