Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Latrobe uni - Bendigo campus

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by I Adore Vic, Aug 14, 2008.

1. Hey all. The time's come for oldest to finish up year 12 (not long now and boy is she counting!) and make the all important decision of which uni to head off to next year (or year after if she decides to defer).

She's been pretty passionate about Outdoor Education since saving up 5K and heading off to Borneo for a month back in Year 9....she totally loved the experience and ideas began to form in her head of becoming someone such as the Expedition leader who 'supervised' them.

So Outdoor Ed it is, and Latrobe Uni seem to offer up a pretty fine looking course at the Bendigo campus.

We've had a look at the website and plan on heading there soon to check the campus and facilities out, but I figured I'd post something up here in case any of you good Netriders know anything about this particular campus. If you know anything about the course as well we'd be happy to hear. :)

Thanks. :grin:

2. Studied there for 3 years and had a blast. Really enjoyed the country atmosphere and cheap beer! That was over 10 years ago though!

I studied business and we called the outdoor ed people "narlies" as most had dodgy hygiene practices and like to climb rock walls mounted on the ceiling of the on campus accommodation.

You'll love the place, just ensure you get active and meet people during "O" week.

Good luck.
  3. Hi Rosie,

Sall and i both did 3 years + at Bendigo Uni.

The outdoor ed course there has long held a good reputation as being the best you can do. Well from what i've heard anyway.

The campus is quite good for a Smaller Uni and has everything you need without being like a small city all on it's own. IT was 10 years ago anyway..no doubt it's changed a fair bit. Best bet would be to get to Open Day. Which is usually around this time i think from memory.

just checked... Open day was last weekend :(

Give us a call if you want to chat etc.

Freddy..... Don't scare Rosie.:shock:.. it's her daughter we are planning for here :twisted:
  4. I started outdoor ed there in 1996 as a mature age student. It was great fun, but not what I ideally wanted from a uni course - and ended up transfering to forest science.

At that time, it was about 9 or so contact hours from Monday to Wednesday, then you left on Wednesday arvo or Thursday morning to go on (usually) 4 day long trips, which included walking, rock climbing, canoeing, XC skiing, etc etc. Great fun. The main problem I had with that part was going from full time contract design drafting (working rediculously long hours) to a uni course that had that type of time commitment!

The bushwalking was mainly off-track (which was difficult for those who had never done that sort of walking before) and it was a sharp learning curve for many, learning navigation, and then relying on your learnt skills when needed. In first year, we had to complete 52 days of trips (which is a pretty big burden, as I was still picking up drafting work as well - the structure of the course then didn't really allow for easy part-time work!)Lots of people found the navigation component difficult. It did show some differences in navigation philosophy, I suppose!

In many ways (looking back with 20-20 hindsight) the course was way too green for me - but this primarily came from the other students on the course, occassionally bolstered by some of the lecturers. It was also pretty difficult having to deal with kids - some of whom were really fit, but had no idea and no bushcraft or how to take themselves out of comfort zones of their mates and footy/cricket/netball teams. At that time, for many of the just-out-of-school kids, having the right gear gave you credibility, rather than experience (but hey, they're kids, and as they got some experience under their belts, improved out of sight!) All that sounds overly negative, but it wasn't that bad! :grin: Also, food. Most ex-school kids usually had crap food (2 minute noodles were pretty popular) and didn't realise the energy commitments of the type of work they were doing. Sometimes to the point where they put themselves and others at risk.

The lecturers I had were a pretty good bunch - I found some super idealistic, head-in-the-clouds types, others were great people with loads of experience. It all came together pretty well.

I'd suggest finding a shared house away from the campus - there were quite a few "outdoor ed. houses" which were a good solution for many. IN many wasys (and its showing up here) O.E. students were a tight bunch, and were pretty separated from the rest of teh uni, mainly because of teh time commitments - you ended up missing lots of events, so we often made our own!

I gained some really good mates out of the course, and learnt quiote a biot about myself as well. Sadly, nowadays, Outddor education isn't as rtrendy as it used to be, so to teach you require both the O.E. degree and a Dip ed., which added substantially to the course time wise. There also aren't a huge number of jobs out there, but are quite a few in secondary fields (like tour guiding, becoming a ranger etc etc).

LAst note - it can be pretty expensive as it is hard on equipment. When I was there, the campus had facilities to make and repair you're own gear, which saved loads.

If you like, PM me and I can go over some other details, but remember, its now (gulp! :shock: ) 12 years out of date! Although I heard Phil and the 2 Pete's were still active, which is great!

(edit: I forgot to say - I finished 1st year before transferring!)
  5. hmmmm, misread the post! :LOL: No really, uni is all about holding hands and singing songs, no partying at all! :oops:
  6. A cousin of mine did the course there.

Any Uni course that has "2nd Year Skiing" as a subject has to be good!!!

She went on and ran outdoor ed camps for some of the private schools at Bogong and Eildon. Had a great time.

Again, smaller UNI's are more personal etc. But apparently the course has a good reputation.

7. Bendigo Outdoor Ed course really is the 'one' if she is keen to work in the outdoors plus have a degree. There are a couple of other good certificate 4 - one year, Diploma (2 years) courses out there which also qualify people to work in the industry pretty much from word go.

I worked in OE for 8 years and have taught on all those courses. It is very much a lifestyle choice as opposed to a job, so be prepared for lots of time away, missed birthdays, weddings etc. It's also a great personal development course for the kids themselves. They learn alot about themselves, others and pick up some great practical skills.

The Bendigo course has a large component of environmental education these days, rather technical outdoor skills, leadership or group facilitiation. Alot of Bendigo OE grads are a bit over it all by the time they graduate and head towards other careers straight after finishing. It can be pretty spartan work, relatively low wages, long, long hours and quite energy draining ie: always have to 'give' to people, groups. Because of these factors, there is a shortage of OEd'ers and companies struggle to find enough staff during peak times.

Still though, wouldn't change of minute of my time.
  8. i know nothing about the course but i do remember some of my uni days :beer: + :bannanabutt: then more :beer: + :smileysex: ah to relive those days... :LOL: i am sure she will have a blast
  9. Thanks for all that guys. :) The courses look good and offer her what she wants. She's got the option of doing an extra year (I think it's the Advanced Diploma?) to get her teaching qual's as well if she chooses.

She missed their open day because her Yr12 Outdoor ed class was white water rafting at Mitta Mitta River that wknd. We're still hoping to get up there for a look around in the next wk or so.

She's keen to stay on campus for the first year and get to know people, then most likely will get a place with some others. Living costs should be cheaper in Bendigo as opposed to the City??

And Stewy, why do you need to remember uni days? You're still like that! :p
  10. Nah. Stewy lives like a Monk.
  11. Bendigo Uni (from my limited experience) has a good name and a nice layout. I lecture there occasionally so my experience is limited to the faculty of Law / Business.
    It's about 5 mins from the CBD and during term this joint buzzes with kids.
    Beware though accomodation up here is LIMITED big time and literally impossible to find early in the year. If you decide on Latrobe let me know and I can point you at the reasonable estate agents that I deal with.