Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

International Latin America 2014

Discussion in 'Roads, Touring, Journeys, and Travel' at netrider.net.au started by Vertical C, Apr 20, 2014.

1. This is my ongoing RTW trip that I will do over the next decades. I already wrote a report on my trip across the USA here.

https://netrider.net.au/threads/road-trip-usa-2010.116818/

At xmas last year I was fortunate enough to lose my job and knew it was coming. So I decided to take some time off. Really indefinite at the moment, maybe six months, maybe till I get bored or until money runs out.

This leg is through some of Latin America. I will write this over a while and I am already a couple of months behind so you might have to bear with me.

Original plan was buy a bike in Quito, Ecuador (Ecuador is between Peru and Colombia) and ride north....but plans change as you will see.

So I land in Quito in late January. I had already spoken to another Aussie who was selling a KLR650 that he had ridden down from California. I arrange to meet him the next day.

A few pics of Quito

%255BUNSET%255D.

%255BUNSET%255D.

2. So the bike is approximately what I need and was only $2500 USA. It needed new chain and brake pads but otherwise not bad. 29000 miles and 2006 model had suspesion, seat, screen bashplate and engine guard mods. For that it was worth a bit of risk, especially as it was here.

[​IMG]

Yes and that is a skateboard bolted on the back. The previous owner thought that it was a good base for his bags, and considering the strength and the fact that stuff doesn´t roll off it not bad. He actually rode down with a surfboard rack and his girlfriend on the back.

We signed some papers and I had it.....more of that later.

It was night, I rode back to the hostel in the dark. I had told myself I wouldn´t ride at night but it was the first day to break that.....managed to also get lost for an hour on the way home, damn ¨¨una via¨¨ one way streets.

Photos from Quito the next day.

%255BUNSET%255D.

The stadium in Quito
    %255BUNSET%255D.

The old town (this is world heritage listed)
    %255BUNSET%255D.

This taxi amused me.
    %255BUNSET%255D.

At the Equator monument.
    %255BUNSET%255D.
    %255BUNSET%255D.

You would have to be crazy to ride a R1 here surely....
    %5BUNSET%5D.

I decided to wait around for a couple of other riders for a few days who were heading south. More to come later.

• Like Like x 1