Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Late-nineties YZF600R… what should I be on the lookout for

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' at netrider.net.au started by grue, Jan 9, 2009.

1. I've pretty much narrowed my search to the CBR600F and the YZF600R, and I'm just looking for a little more info on the latter. I've scoured the forums and only have the following to ask:

Specifically, the only thing I've really heard against these is the issue with second gear. On the one hand, I've heard it can affect any/all of these. On the other, I've heard it's primarily caused by abusive shifting, and if it hasn't already set in, it can be averted fairly easily be installing a few third-party bits.

So what's the deal on that, and is there anything else I should specifically check for when inspecting one of these? Specifically the 97-99 models.

Cheers :grin:

2. Yeah, only issue I've heard as a general thing is that second gear one. As you say, if it's not already on the way out it's often fine. It's also fixable with aftermarket bits, though it's pretty expensive to do so.

3. Hm… I'm trying to find some specific info on the fix, do you happen to know what it consists of? I'm a big fan of preemptive modification when there are known issues. Ounce of prevention, pound of cure and all that.

4. There's an aftermarket selector fork, I believe. Not expensive in itself, but requires splitting the motor to install. Worthwhile doing if you can do the work yourself, expensive if you need a mechanic to do it.

I googled it all a couple of years ago when I was thinking of buying one, but am working from memory now, so you might want to hit google yourself...

5. We have a cbr600f & a cat living here.
    None of this 2nd gear probs here.

But I swear to god if we start getting them now I will personally come & hunt you down :LOL:

6. :LOL: