Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

late model instruments on early VTR250

Discussion in 'Modifications and Projects' started by anomalous, Jan 22, 2009.

1. apologies if this is already covered - if so, please point me in the right direction...

but does anyone know if its possible/easy to fit a late model VTR250 instrument cluster (speedo+tacho) to an early model VTR250 (speedo only)

2. im sure its possible but i think the reason not many people do it is:

a, the replacement instruments are really expensive
    b, you don't reaaaaly need a tacho do you? sure its handy but you should be looking at the road anyway

my solution, get a nice noisy staintune or similar pipe so you can hear the motor nice and clear... might save you getting merged onto as well!
  3. thanks. I'm a new rider, so my ears arent yet attuned to what sound the bike makes at what revs, so I'd like to have a tacho to calibrate my ears with. ive seen some aftermarket options - one of these might be the go if the factory ones are too much cash. I thought I might be able to find a wrecked vtr and get the instruments from that.

4. If your just worried about shifting at peak revs then an aftermarket indicator light is the go.

If its any lower than peak, shift at what feels comfortable to you and doesnt cause the bike any grief (ie, lugging etc) and bobs yer uncle. Put the money towards say....new boots. Lol.
  5. I have never tried this but the tacho in the later models is an electro mechanical device. You will need the pulses from the ignition module to feed the tacho electrics. I don't know if the pre-tacho VTR has such wiring/functionality in its module.

I do not know where the pulses actually come from (the ignition module ?? ), but I do know that it (the tacho) works electrically.
  6. Save your money. And spend it on rider training. Hopefully they will be able to help you "calibrate" your ears...
  7. Does anyone have a scan of the wiring diagram for the pre '03 VRT250? i have a post '03 diagram, and it shows an extra wire running from the ignition module up to the tacho. I think my module has these connections, but there is just no wire and tacho.

either way, i think I will build my own microcontroller based shift light. the 'pulse generator' in the wiring diagram is a simple hall-effect device, and I can sense this signal with a small microcontroller, which can then turn on any number of lights at pre-programmed RPM settings. I reckon I'll have maybe 4 lights - 8000rpm, 9000 rpm, 10500rpm (peak power) and 11500 (redline) - or some similar setup once i determine what works best. I could add an actual LED/LCD readout of the RPM, but its probably not worth the effort - just a distraction.

if i get it all working, I can publish the circuit diagram and microcode for anyone who wants to build one, if anyone is interested.

also, if anyone has a pdf of the pre '03 VTR250 (MC33) Service Manual, i'd be over the moon to have a copy.

8. You could, but theres already plenty of systems designed out there in sexy waterproof boxes, and they arent that pricey.
  9. got any links to some? a quick search of the net didnt turn up much, and the ones i could find did seem quite expensive.

maybe im not looking using the right search phrase...

"gear shift indicator" "shift indicator" "gear shift light"?
  10. #10 smidge, Jan 30, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2015
  11. IMO you don't need a tacho. Just ride the bike around a bit more, and you'll get to know when you need to shift. Save your money and buy a Staintune :wink:
  12. #14 Liq, Jan 31, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2015
  13. that ecliptech shift-I looks nice. $176.

I estimate i could build one exactly the same, except with the ability to program the exact RPM of every light, and an auto dim feature for night riding, for somewhere between $50 and $80. it wouldn't have the nifty curved case though, but i can mount a straight row on top of the indicator light cluster.

Will give it a shot and report back

a further thought: for a few more dollars, I could add an LCD readout and 2 axis accelerometer to measure cornering, braking and takeoff g-forces, but now we are getting away from the original project idea... but the basic microcontroller platform is super-easy to extend to other sensor inputs. for those that are techy, i'll probably use something like this: http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=8991
  14. For what it's worth, you can set specific rpm for each light and it does auto-dim at night, and also after 10 seconds of constant revs (ie, dims for cruising).
    But your project does sound like fun. NOthing like DIY :p
  15. dimming after constant revs was something i hadnt thought of. cool!

from the sounds of it, the shift-i uses a similar kind of microcontroller based design. if my project doesnt come off, I'll probably shell out for one.
  16. I presume that the accelerometer will be measuring accell/decell and into-the-ground forces, as on a bike cornering generates no appreciable sideways (relative to the bike) forces, as all forces must be balanced and through the tires. You can't measure "tilt" or "cornering force" directly on a two wheeled vehicle without some gyroscopic/inertial tomfoolery.

It's a cool idea though, just maybe a bit more complex than first thought would suggest. :)
  17. If the bike is going around a corner, from the point of view of say, an object in the frame, it is both rotated around an axis and accelerating sideways. This can be measured.
  18. I've got a tacho-less VTR that I was thinking of putting a Shift I onto, but I also have an Arduino Diecimella microcontroller sitting around looking for a use.

Any luck so far?