Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Late Learner Newbie

Discussion in 'Welcome Lounge' at netrider.net.au started by Lightsaber, Jan 22, 2012.

1. Hi Netriders

I'm from south west Sydney and, like many newbies, I've been lurking around these forums for quite a while, enjoying the reading and learning a fair bit. I finally joined just over 2 weeks' ago.

I'm, shall we say, of a more mature age (50) busy with work and a youngish growing family. Having never ridden before I started learning to ride less than a year ago. Circumstances haven't allowed me to do the km I would've liked though. Still, I hope to book into my pre-provisional/MOST in a few weeks. Much practicing to do in the meantime.

This whole wanting to ride thing began like an annoying itch I couldn't get rid of; so eventually I did the pre-learners, mainly to see if I could... and loved it! I have no idea why I didn't discover this sooner, especially as my brother's been a keen rider for over 20 years. It's also a refreshing change learning new skills that don't involve a keyboard and sitting in front of a monitor.

After much research, including a fair amount of it here, I pretty much decided on the CB400.

Still, to make doubly sure I could and that it wasn't all just a passing fad and an easily curable itch, I then did a half day post-learners course at HART St Ives. They were also good enough to let me use a CB400 instead of the usual 250 - so it was also kinda like a long test ride too. Needless to say, the HART session was great and that, and a supportive wife, was all the convincing I needed.

It wasn't too long after that I got a 2011 CB400 ABS, which is everything that you've read it is. Absolutely no regrets there! Other than Oggy knobs, it's stock as.

Would've liked to to join in at a Sydney learner session or two, but they're just too far. On the other hand, Narellan Maccas is convenient and seems to be a regular meeting spot, so I'll be looking out for any suitable organised future rides.

I'm looking forward to reading more, learning more, riding more, and maybe meeting some fellow Netriders.

Cheers

2. Welcome. Sounds like you are well prepared for the MOST - you should walk it in.
    Most people take anti-histamines for itches - the rest of us just ride them off.

What sort of riding do you do? Commute, tour around, down to the shops .....?

3. Welcome to Netrider!

Hmm.. A lightsabre joins.. then shortly after a Darth joins... Quick! Where's the popcorn? This battle gonna be awesome :p

4. The Force is strong with this one.. Welcome to NR man!

5. welcome to NR, why not ride to Homebush? Tis about the journey not the destination [as someone once said] btu when you get there, you'll get alot of guidance, even if you go just once (though not many go 'juts once' lol)

6. Welcome to NR, young man! :)

Ride Safe!

7. Thanks all for the warm welcome

I realised I left that bit out after posting. Well, a mixture really. So far a lot of short rides to nowhere in particular - in traffic, country roads, and a couple of round trips to Bowral & Picton, and a lot of slow stuff in the back streets practicing basics and slow riding. I've done just 2 or 3 commutes to work just for practice - nearly 30 km each way - but it's just too impractical with laptop & load of other stuff I need to carry all the time.

Hmm.. perhaps you my father are?

Yes, I'm aware that it's the journey thing, but its more of a time thing, with other competing commitments... if only there were 36 hours in a day! I will try to make it to one, can't promise though.

Compliment or nor not, I'll take it as such... the "young" bit! Well, young at heart at least. Thanks.

Cheers guys.

8. We are all the same age here. Under the helmet it's Forever 21. (y)

9. The force works in mysterious ways my young padawan. Btw, get the Imperial Speeder bike. No single-sided swingarm or anything, but it hovers!