Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Late for first service?

Discussion in 'Maintenance and Servicing' started by Teak, Nov 29, 2014.

1. So I was a bit slack booking in my bike for its first service (brand new CBR250R) because I was on the road with it visiting family as it rolled over 1000kms. It's now 500kms over, at around 1500, and I've booked it in for a week and a half from now. Does it matter if I rack up a few hundred more kilometres between now and then, or should I just not ride the bike too much until the service gets done?

2. Doesn't really matter.
  3. Honda being as fragile and particular as they are known to be, you must follow the maintenance chart / service intervals to the letter. Failure to do so will result in an excuse to refuse warranty claims ( not that there is ever any manufacturing / design defects with a honda ever [cynical] )

On to a real answer, first service is usually change the oil and filter to remove any contaminants from manufacturing and initial bedding in and check over all the nuts and bolts and adjustments that the 15yo who assembled your bike may have forgotten.
    Try not to delay the service too long and be vigilant for new noises and anything that doesn't feel right, would be my answer.
  4. I'll add that first service is a bit more than just oil change and checking nuts.

cables and chains will "stretch" the most in that first few hundred km of there life, and usually need adjustment.

Entry level air cooled bikes usually have a valve clearance check.

As for going over the 1000km, more is better than less but don't leave it to long, if something needs attention and your not knowledgeable to detect and rectify it yourself, it may damage something else, or cause a catastrophic failure and then give you warranty problems.

I wouldn't let it get above 2,000km
  5. Ok, cheers. I'll hold off on long rides until the service then and just use the bike as normal for 10 minute trips around town, keeping an eye and ear out for changes in the bike.