Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

laser vision correction

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by smidge, Feb 23, 2009.

1. i thought this may have been covered here but a search revealed it wasn't so..

i'm interested to hear other members insights into getting their eyes fixed and not needing glasses anymore

as a rider its gotta be better to know your vision is sorted out and can jump on the bike anytime without accessories

anyone had theirs done?
  2. Paging Ktulu Aisle 1!
  3. I know another rider who had LASIK, and he said it was the best thing he's ever done.

LASIK can correct about 6 'points' worth of error in your vision [in short-sighted people, at least] and my eyes are both more than -8, so LASIK is not suitable for me.

On the 4th and 11th of March, however, I am getting implanted contact lenses. Which are a lens to fully correct my vision that is placed behind my retina through a small incision in the side of my eye.
    Each eye will cost between $4-4.5K to be done.

I'm receiving a new prototype lens, and my surgery will be the first time it is used in Australia.

I will be writing a more detailed account after the surgery... assuming I'm not blind due to complications or someone's unsteady hand :p
  4. My eyes water even thinking about this stuff.

Is there any truth to the story that you can smell your eyeballs burning whilst undergoing the laser corrective thingo? :LOL:
  5. I'm hoping they're not being placed behind your retina, coz they will do SFA there ...... maybe behind the iris? :)
  6. I had LASIK done years ago back when it was just starting to replace PRK.

I was -6.0 and -5.5 so near the limit for LASIK and I ended up being at -0.5 and -1.0 (slightly under corrected).

I don't mind because my vision is so much better, even if not perfect.

Would I do it again? Yes sure... but don't necessarily expect perfection.
  7. yes. lol.

best money i spent - i think it was $4600. I went to two places, one in st kilda rd who i got a bad vibe from and were more expensive, then i went to Laser Sight, where i got to talk to the surgeon and just got a better feeling in general from.

it was awesome to be able to see. there are a few different kinds of eye surgery, your best bet is to get your eyes checked (most places to this for free) and find out if its even practical first. you never know, might turn out that you arent a viable candidate at all.

if you are in vic, go to laser sight for a free evaluation, 1800 00 39 37 - lvl 2, 100 victoria pde
    and tell them you were referred by me (eswen) & i get 2 free movie tickets
  8. useless if it sends you blind. Tabloid journalism had a go at LES a few years back, right about the time I was starting to research it. As a couple of people have already mentioned you need to be asessed first as a suitable candidate for any LES procedures. You should also be researching the risks involved too, it is NOT a guaranteed corrective measure and any LES clinic that doesn't spend time explaining that to you is to be avoided.
  9. -6 and -8??? Jesus!!! Can you guys see anything??? Mine's -3.5 and that's bad enough!!
  10. About three years ago, I sus'd LES out and was found to be one of the unworthy :LOL: , however I could have had the more extreme lens reshaping for 3k extra .. total 8.5k , now thats a lot of glasses @ 300 a pair which on average last me two years.

Now I was going to go with the reshaping UNTIL I got the full story, It's seems reshaping is the opposite of LES and is PAINFULL with only one eye done at a time, about 8 weeks apart and up to 12 months before the full effect ...[ read the eyes heal fully ] and even then we may have to redo them as the eyes can sometimes drop back to there original shape... but any rework is FREE.

Now I'm no woose when it comes to pain, so I asked what to expect. Thinking it was going to be like sore eyes from lack of sleep etc.
    Oh no... the surgeon already knowing my trade asked me if ever I have had flash burns from arc/mig welding?
    I replied, why yes I had 2nd deg flash burns when younger and that was an excruciating 48hrs with a month before I could go outside into bright sunlight, it felt like my eyelids where made of 100 grit sandpaper !! Eye pads,analgesic creams and it still f@ing hurt, I wanted to rip my eyes out it was that bad !!!!

Then he said good so you have a good idea of what your in for, for a week or so with one eye then later on with the other.

My reply ? Thanks for your time, but that is one pain I'm not going to volunteer for TWICE , I'll go on a cruise instead

11. I had lasik about ten years ago, and I now work for a company that sells the equipment, also the implant lenses. I am not at all medically qualified.

My results were were pretty good – 0 in one eye and -0.5 in the other. I was considered a good candidate (losts of material thickness for reshaping). I started with -5.5 and -5.0.

Pain was minimal for me. It was a little like a minor case of welders flash or snowblindness but a couple of paracetamol and it was gone by the next day. I could see 90% walking out of the clinic and it got better over the next week.

There are very few cases of complications reported in Australia. There are quite a few in Asia, but that may be because people don't go back for the checkups or perhaps because they are poor candidates who have been rejected by Aussie practitioners.

Results CAN be variable. Virtually everyone will be improved, but 10-15% may end up with the need for glasses for some activities. Not many clinics will re-do you for free if this happens (they should inform you of this). Remember that your eyes will continue to change over the years regardless of surgery, so what is perfect now may not be in ten years. (ZRX1200R, you may actually improve over the years!)

I know of one clinic that advertises heavily who has a poor reputation in the local industry (they'll do anyone!). My advice would be to first consult a local optometrist or ophthalmologist who can recommend a laser clinic that they trust. It's just a bit of extra insurance.

Implants can be used for people with significant vision defects. They are primarily used for older people because they also eliminate any existing cataracts, but sometimes younger people with with unusual problems or very serious vision problems get them. There are a few minor issues with them which means that laser is generally preferred if possible. I am not sure what product Ktulu is getting but I would be interested to hear how it goes.

Devo, yes, you can smell your eyes burning, but you can't feel a thing at the time.
  12. The trouble with tis is that the optometrist has a vested interest in you NOT getting the surgery. You stop buying specs from them and all that. Every time I've mentioned it to an optometrist they've said things against it.

My current optometrist says you have to have stable vision for two years before you qualify. Naturally, when I see her every two years my prescription has changed just slightly - the time before last it went down 0.5 and last time it went back up!

13. Err ahh yes, the lens just goes in the side where they cut into my freaking eye!

Titus - the new lens I'm getting is apparently just of narrower design than the older ones; so for the same script, there's a better chances of success in positioning with lessened discomfort.

I'm informed that with the implanted contact lenses; changes later in life can be touched up with LASIK :eek:
  14. err cornea?
  15. Bear in mind I am not qualified when I say this...(but I work with people who are).

Not having stable vision is a good reason why you shouldn't have it done. Yet. How would you feel if you spent $4k+ and then had to go back again in two years?

But fear not. Your vision will stabilise, most likely soon after you turn 40. If you're like most people, your eyes will go through a change at that time in which you will noticeably change away from near-sightedness and towards far-sightedness (you will find it easier to see at a distance but more difficult to focus up close). This happens over a few months and then stabilises to a very gradual move towards distance vision for the rest of your life.

Maybe your optom is putting you off for this reason. If you still want to go ahead, preferably in a year or two, just find another one who is willing to at least have you properly checked for suitability. I know from personal experience that a lot of them are VERY motivated by profit, so your comment is likely to be true. But they are also required to tell you about possible downsides to protect themselves from liability.
  16. Just asked the boss - he says yes, that true of all intra ocular lenses. But it's sometimes cheaper to just replace the lens. BTW, hundreds of these procedures get done every day in Australia, and new variants of the lenses are coming out all the time.
  17. Fair comment. Distressingly enough I'm not that far off 40, so maybe it's on the cards soon.
  18. With regard to eyesight stability: my script has only changed very slightly, in one eye, since I last got new glasses [which was 5 years ago].

The optometrist and the vision correction consultant are happy with that level of stability.
  19. I certainly wasnt suggesting that someone get surgery without doing research... in fact i suggested they go somewhere for a free evaluation and mentioned that i went to two places to find someone i felt comfortable with.

no reputable place will do you unless you have had stable vision for some time and the Laser Sight (where i went) will check with your optometrist to make sure you arent lying.
  20. And you're PAYING for this???

You're a braver person than I, Gunga Din.

Speaking of paying for laser surgery, it seems to be a booming procedure with a number of practitioners out there now. Years ago when I enquired about it, it was about $1,500 an eye. These days the cost seems to be around double that or more, even accounting for CPI.

And private health and Medicare still don't cover it. I'd love to get it, but I can't justify the $10k or so. That will provide me more than a lifetime of contact lenses or glasses with dough left over for new leathers, helmets, downpayments on a new bike...