Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Laser 'jammers' helping drivers beat radars - The Age

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Sir Ride Alot, Oct 2, 2012.

1. Laser 'jammers' helping drivers beat radars
    Date October 2, 2012 Christopher Knaus

Drivers are using legally sold laser jamming technology to render speed cameras and some handheld speed guns useless, police say.

The laser jammers, which are legally sold in Western Australia, are often innocuous in appearance, designed to look like conventional parking sensors.

The technology works by blocking the lasers used in some types of speed cameras, including fixed laser cameras and handheld laser cameras used by police.

In its latest annual report, ACT Policing has raised serious concerns that the devices could cause problems for routine traffic enforcement.

Police say the technology, while legal to sell, is illegal if used to interfere with police equipment.

The laser jammers is just one example of the big challenges being faced by law enforcement agencies due to the dizzying speed of technological development.

''Keeping pace with these ongoing changes in our operating environment, remaining contemporary, and maintaining best practice in the technological environment is a challenge for all law enforcement agencies world-wide,'' ACT Policing's annual report said.

The territory's police has also warned the increasingly widespread use of cloud computing technology, including Apple's iCloud, can easily expose victims to ''gross invasions of privacy'', data theft, and blackmail.

Cloud computing refers to the hiring of remote data storage and software, where private or personal information is held and later accessed using the internet or another network.

The use of cloud computing allows for information to be accessed with increasing flexibility, using an array of mobile devices.

But ACT Policing is concerned many people are using insecure networks to access private data stored on the cloud.

''These communications can be easily accessed with the appropriate technology, exposing the victim to gross invasions of privacy, theft of data and even potential blackmail,'' its annual report said.

''Safeguards against this crime occurring are readily available but consumers, in the interests of convenience, are often prepared to take unnecessary risks.

''The challenge for police in this technological world is keeping up with the pace of technological advancements, in a crime fighting sense as well as in relation to prosecution/legislation requirements.''

Read more: http://www.canberratimes.com.au/act...beat-radars-20121001-26vwp.html#ixzz288Gy7vos
  2. My heart bleeds for them... :-({|=
  3. group buy
  4. Good on 'em.

Don't get me started on the illegality of radar detectors.
  5. Note no facts on the % of vehicles checked that avoided detection due to these things..... Bet it is like 0.000000001%
  6. technology '' can work against you and can work for you ' fantastic :)
  7. post of the day :applause:
  8. Damn straight I need parking sensors front and rear on my bike, officer! You don't want me scratching it now, do you?
  9. Ill take 2.
  10. :applause::applause:
  11. Is there a netrider discount?
  12. This article shows a lack of commitment by the police. Don't they know that these parking sensors will turn off 7 seconds after they detect interference? If they keep at it they will get a reading eventually. Many will also alert the rider so they can attempt a manual switch off. Such innocent devices should be praised by insurance companies for reducing car park accidents, I reckon you should get a discount on your insurance if they are fitted.
  13. Probably not, why would they? Also something as simple as an IR flood probably doesn't check for inference.
  14. not cheap

15. Yeah but apparently it comes with a router so you can Google shit on the fly - I wonder what the data allowance is?
  16. Bullshit its not. Avoid a couple of radars in Vic and you've made your money back straight away.
  17. They don't work for Radar, just laser. But I know what you mean :)

18. See I want to see someone outfit a vehicle with a full electronic warfare suite that'll detect, overload and destroy radar devices. LIDAR is probably a bit more work.