Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Laro Cruiser

Discussion in 'Cruisers' started by cazz, Nov 26, 2011.

1. Hi All, im a newbie to riding and just wanted some opinion about the Laro cruiser. I had a look at it today and will be taking it for a test run next week. A test run will give me an idea but no one i know knows anything about these bikes. There doesnt seem to be much info/reviews about this bike that i can find (maybe thats saying something im not sure) :-s
    Good or bad thoughts will be most appreciated. Hearing from those that own one would be great too.

Cheers Cazz

2. I'm just gonna jump in here before the flame brigade does and say that they will probably be rough and you'd be better off buying an older rebel or virago for comfort and street cred.

Mind you there's a few running around so they can't be that unreliable.
  3. Cheers for that :) Im not really worried about street cred though, i just want to enjoy riding. I guess i will have to do a few different test rides and see whats what. Ill post how the test ride went though lmao
  4. Generally Chinese = bad and you're much better off buying an older Japanese bike, but not always. How much is it? Kms? Year? Condition? There do seem to be a few Laros around.

I don't know if these guys have ever stocked Laros, but it might be worth popping by and asking their opinion - they're a rare sort of shop where everybody's friendly, up for a chat, and straight down the line. And they sell a lot of Chinese bikes.
  5. The Lardos are very heavy and underpowered for such weight.
    What ive seen of them (which is 2 separate machines less then 6 months old) is shoddy build quality, incomplete bubbled chrome and peeling paint, rust already appearing in places even though one owner insisted he never rode it in the rain (though has when the road has been wet).

As above, the virago would be better worth a look at, as long as its in good condition.
  6. You'll pay $7000 with 2 year warrenty ...sounds good.
    But you will only get $2500 when you sell it and no one will want to buy it and you would be lucky to get a dealer to trade it in.
    Food for thought.

Buy a use Jap cruiser ...honda etc ,for $5000 ride it for 2 years ,sell it for $3500.
  7. like sleddog said, buying one is good if you keep it for a few years. if yuo try and sell it, you will get bad response...if any, no matter what condition its in.

same goes for KYMKO, they had a dead set copy of the honda vt250 custom (which i had a close look at) $5000.00 on the road brand new.

i ended up buying a second hand kawaski 2007 eliminator (shits on virago/intuder etc) for $5300, did 10,00kms in 14 months, and traded to a dealer for $4000.00 (could have got $4500 privately easy) to buy my new boulevard.

if you buy one of the chinese imports, then keep it, for years, and get your moneys worth.
  8. One of the women in my group found out that most bike shops won't touch the chineese bikes except maybe to do an oil change and tyres.

Buy with extreme caution, as others have said, you'd be better off buying a well maintained 2nd hand jap cruiser.
  9. Thanks for that im gona take the advice and run with it. It would be all good till it broke down then im stuffed and theres no way i want to be in a situation that no one will fix the bike if i need it. Im thinking a yamaha maybe
  10. Cazz, first bike? Get whats comfy for you, you can learn on a 650 classic/vstar nowadays but no good if youarent comfy with the size, weight etc, the virago is the smaller brother, depending on your riding level/skill and 'keen' to get out there, you might out grow a 250 very quickly. but you gotta start somewhere.
  11. I've seen a couple running around. One of them, the bloke had done something to the exhaust and it sounded pretty good, but it sounded like a single. I thought they were supposed to be a twin. maybe it was a different bike.
    another one I saw being ridden by a girl on philip island, it was making a rather unhealthy noise, something sounded wrong in the drive train (chain and sprockets in this case).
    can I just say one thing, a 250 might sound good right now but halfway down the line of your restriction period you will be sick of the lack of power. that and you will loose more if you upgrade before you're off LAMS. don't be scared by big-looking figures like '400', '535', or '650', the bikes are not nearly as scary as they sound and are actually safer because they have the power available for you to use when you need it to get out of trouble. plus, the power is only there if you let the engine spin up to where it makes its power. just because an engine has a claimed power of 35hp does not mean it is always making 35hp: it will only ever make it if you rev the motor high enough that it produces that power. if that makes any sense at all.

how much money have you got to throw after you buy all your gear? since you're taking the laro for a test ride I am going to assume you have at least the purchase price of that motorcycle + ORC. if that's the case perhaps this would be worth looking at http://www.bikesales.com.au/all-bikes/private/details.aspx?R=11464704 (it is important to consider bikes that are interstate to widen your options), as long as it has been maintained (certainly looks like it).
    also don't be scared of bikes with many kays on them, most of the CBR250RRs that people buy have been around the clock (99,999 kilometres) at least once and are still going.
    there is also this girl http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1994-Yamaha-XV535-Virago-535CC-M-/270862378835

And THEN... there is this:
    that bike has done bugger all kays (not necessarily a good thing but if it's been looked after properly it is), in Victoria, and is priced to sell. if he isn't crapping on about the reason for selling then you might be able to talk him down to 4 large.

needless to say, all the guys will be extremely jealous of your boyfriend if you get any of them. I reckon the last one, the Honda, is the go but parts might be difficult to find. then again you might not need any model specific bits for a loooong time.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Thanks Kernel i had a look at the links you put there (handy :) although the last one didnt come up) and pretty much thats the type im looking at now. Im not really wanting a 250 if i can help it cause i think it will piss me off and i will want more power when i get more confident (but not too confident lol) so i will be looking at nothing below a 400 i think.
    If i spend around 4k on a bike id be happy with that for my first.

I dont think i will be needing modifications just yet but the guys around me have other ideas i reckon, as they are already telling me what changes can be made, but then again they all ride Harleys so...............
    I'll tel you what though, im glad i found this site by accident, its been soooo helpful :)
    Big thumbs up from me
  13. sorry my mistake, there you go: http://www.bikesales.com.au/all-bikes/private/details.aspx?R=11572008

yeah well power modifications are illegal on your restrictions anyway. make too many of them and your bike will sound very different to the others of the same model and the cops will hear it and investigate. exhaust makes the biggest difference but they do tend to turn a blind eye over this as long as it's not too obnoxious. plus if you're riding one of the less common models they don't have much to compare it to so i wouldn't worry.
    I don't think I have seen a single stock Harley on the road haha, well one did have the stock pipes on it, was at philip island while we were all having lunch one netrider ride. Me and [MENTION=30627]streetmaster[/MENTION] reckon that when harley buyers put the mandatory loud pipes on their bike, the dealer sends the stock pipes back to Japan (yes, Japan) for a bit of cash back and then they stick 'em on another bike. we reckon that those pipes on that Harley would've been on at least 7 other Harleys in show rooms before they finally found a home!! lol.
  14. That does look nice and probably a lame selling reason but if i could get him down a bit cause hes going overseas lol then job done id say.
    I wont be making any illegal modifications, i dont want to stuff the whole riding thing up when i first start hahaha (exhaust maybe :) )

Harleys are definately not brought to stay stock lmao and if they are i dont think i have ever seen one unless its on its way to the shop to get everything changed or having to go over the pits cause it has been busted for noise polution hehehehe
  15. lol too much work to return a harley to stock for that. you gotta put everything back, carb jets (well EFI map these days), air intake and air filter so it doesn't run too lean, exhaust so that it isn't loud anymore. because I'm pretty sure they also run an emissions test, bikes these days barely pass brand new from the factory from what I've heard, they have to set them up pretty lean just to legally sell them! and you're pretty stuffed if you've had a big bore kit installed.
  16. its a shit load of work but ive seen it done and it doesnt matter how much work it takes to look the part of being stock it is changed back just as quick lmfao. Being stock is an embarrasment to Harley riders almost, the louder amd meaner looking the better :)

If you didnt quite notice bit of a Harley fan here hahaha
  17. It's ok, there's therapy for that affliction

18. lmfao yeah its called getting one :p
  19. well as far as that harley I saw at philip island goes, I think he had a girl on the back, can't imagine taking the missus for a ride down to the nearest EPA testing station!! although you never know, maybe he took her to negotiate in case they found something they didn't like!
  20. OMG i cant believe a chick would be on the back of that hehehehe
    Well i suppose,sometimes distractions are a good thing. WIN WIN lmao