Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Laptop/notebook help

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by CFVFR, Sep 6, 2010.

1. Hi peeps,

I have a PC HP that is giving me the sihts and am considering a laptop or something a bit more flexible about the house.(will be keeping it, just not using it so much)

I have a external 1TB hard drive so most of my files are on that.
    The laptop will be more for pissing about the net and looking at pics/games for the kids.

Does anyone have any preffered brands or requirements/specs that I may need to keep an eye out for? Is it RAM that makes the processes faster?

I am running a Wi-Fi with home router (as if that helps, but makes me feel that little bit more savy!)

Am open to Mac as well:bolt:

Thanks in advance for any help/advice

Love, huggs and biggus lickus,

2. Look at laptops that have an i7 chip and minimum 4gb ram :)
  3. HP. Buy HP. The Current DV range is excellent. Goz is right, i7 and 4gb RAM is excellent, but if you're not doing anything crazy then you can take the price cut for an i5. Don't do i3.

Currently there is a "sweet spot" in the market at ~2k, and Apple have cleverly priced their lower end Macbook pros around here. So if you're really gunning for a Mac, keep in mind that you can get one for close to the same money as an equally spec'd win7 machine.

It all depends what you're after. If you get a little bit more specific with your needs I can help you more :)
  4. agreed on HP DV range, i have a dv7, fantastic machine
  5. Ta very much fellas
  6. ASUS -- they have a factory 24 month global warranty

or ( believe it or not DELL - who's screens when tested at the time had the lowest tempest rating ) and easily survived the sand dust extreme heat and crap in Afghanistan and Iraq

my opinion is based on previously being a "censored" for "censored" and being in charge of the deployed laptop systems like you see in the movies when they open them up from a small pelican case and set up small satellite dishes etc for the SAS boys
  7. With HP, make sure you get the sweet extended warranty (usually around $200, full replacement warranty, includes wear and tear cover, and is 3 years i think).
    In the marine world and varying power systems on dredges etc... and ive had it replaced twice xD! Not that ive mentioned the dredges part either... They send me another one, i send them the old one in the new ones box, done.
  8. It all comes down to budget.
  9. Err lets see some tips.

Asus Good, Acer bad.

I take it your not interested in gaming...

If i was in your place, it sounds goofball but... head into harvey norman or whoever you like to get electronics/etc from (retravision, etc) and pick up a nice Asus laptop, grab it on special if ya can :)

They come with an i5 or i7 .. typically 3gb of ram... maybe 4gb, itll run ya movies, low end games (christ, itll run CRYSIS NOW!) medium end games etc even.

But yeah, its only about $700 - $1000 laptops for the ordinary user are CHEAP.

Just dont buy those $600 Acer jobs, I fix these blasted things, I have an Acer monitor that if it dies on me one more time itll go for a swim in the swimming pool, and an Acer laptop in peices behind me, because the board in it developed shorts and DIED.

and yet my friend treats his Asus like shit and it loves him and never has a problem!!

Toshiba is also damn good, as are Dell (hell if thiers screws up they replace it .. within 5 years?) something like that.

i5 w/ 4GB Ram & 500GB HDD. You could even get them to rip out the 500gb HDD and stick a new seagate 1TB HDD in there if you wanted.
  10. Agree with what most have said but I don't every get behind any particular brand...
    I've worked with most brands and have seen everyone of them fail in one way or the other.

Here's my advise to those that ask.

1st, your budget....
    2nd, highest processor speed your budget will allow with min 4gig ram.
    3rd, see as many as you can, look at it's features and which one will best suit your needs.
  11. The above requirements hardly need an i7 and 4GB RAM.

Why not?

I have an i3 Asus laptop with ATI HD 5000 graphics and it's an excellent machine. I use it for programming, virtual machines, the lot. It's extremely snappy, and excellent value for money.

Are i5 and i7 chips better? Of course.

Does the OP need an i5 or i7 for pissing about the net and looking at pics/games for the kids? Not on your life.

Seriously, when someone asks for advice, the first thing you need to do is consider what they want to do. Only then can you recommend something appropriate.
  12. Unless you plan on doing video editing or 3D modelling on the computer, I really dont see the value of an i7 processor.

The i5 is fine for most applications (web browsing, email, microsoft office etc) and will save you a couple of hundred bucks.

4Gb is a good thing.

As far as laptop brands go, Toshiba make a good unit. when I brought my P4 3gHz machine 5 years ago I asked folks I knew in corporate IT which brand they had the least problem with and they reckoned toshiba.... just be careful with the hinges....

13. errr, anyone know anything about the NetBooks... I was looking at one ages ago but I'm thinking the market has changed significantly since then...

Use: traveling around Europe, (no less then 10" however), durable etc (SS-HDD needed?)
    Budget: $1000 or less, maybe more depending SS-HDD costs

Who's leading the market now with a good product?

14. why spend $500 - $600 on a netbook with a tiny screen and no CD-Drive when the Compaq I linked to above has a LiteScribe DVD burner and 14 inch screen, etc etc??
  15. Netbooks are GREAT for travelling - lightweight, good battery life (mostly), portable and cheap. It's really great to have a tiny almost weightless Netbook in your backpack instead of a heavy and bulky laptop.

Low on power though, and the screen resolution (not physical size) is a limiting factor, as well as the omission of an optical drive.

I've used them for travelling extensively - Internet, email, the odd PPT and Docs etc - for that they're fine, but if you need any more than that, a decent sized laptop will give you an exponential increase in performance for not much more money.

These days there are lots of good laptop options at about the $1000 mark, and physical size and weight is really the only downside.

16. Hmmmm...

Without knowing the exact requirements I offered generalized advice on the market based on my experience with what people generally do, with a view to the future.

I don't recommend the i3 i anything other than netbooks - they are simply not powerful enough. Sure, there is nothing wrong with them, they are fast enough for most people now... What about 12 months, two years? Three years? It's the same with RAM. You can get by with 2GB very easily. But that is now.

Most people will get the most value by purchasing a laptop with an i5/i7 and 4gb RAM. You will easily be able to depreciate the cost of this machine over three years,
  17. When I give advice on laptops I only give advice on what's the best on the market, I'm sick to death on people coming to me a few months later and say it's shit, it's getting slow, I should of bought that other one, yada yada, so stop being cheap arse and get the best there is for future use, not present
  18. Word.

You can get 3 laptops in the next 5 years for $600 each.
    Or you can get 1 laptop in the next 5 years for $1800.

Or something like that.
  19. ASUS and HP are both good makes.

i have an ASUS laptop. ive used it pretty much every day for the past 3 years and never had a problem with it.

i wouldn't recommend DELL