Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

NSW Lanesplitting, legal or illegal?

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by aste9974, Aug 17, 2011.

1. As per title, is it legal to lanesplit in New South Wales?

If it is illegal, what is the fine/points lost on licence?
  2. yeh, it's cool.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Sorry to be anal, but can you quote a source?

Beginner rider here.
  4. Sorry , have to say it, do a search, has been covered many times....

Attached Files:

5. I just emailed the RTA, should get a response on this soon.

Will post the response.
  6. Love the title under your name.
  7. Sorry to say this... Who cares if it's legal or not? If a cop sees you doing it, he'll probably try to ping you for changing lanes without indicating, etc. Nobody's going to stop doing it, so use the info in the filtering technique thread (sorry, forgot where it is), and resist the urge if there's a cop around (except to avoid an imanent rear-ender)...
  8. Wow, just looked at some of your others posts.
  9. Cheers mate.
  10. Don't bother if you are too lazy to search here for the answers, and they are here well we know what it is and all the loopholes

- Tapatalking from somewhere, maybe even behind you so look out!!!
  11. As far as I know there is no law specifically stating that Lane Filtering/Splitting is legal or illegal.

However, passing a stationary vehicle on the left is quite legal in NSW. Rule 141 refers.

But, a copper in a 'mood' may book you for any number of other offences
  12. Been waiting to use this pic

Attached Files:

13. Hmmmmmm....

14. You can be pinged for it, so do it at your own discretion.
  15. Pinged for what exaclty?
  16. Not indicating, crossing over to another lane and so on
  17. But none of those are 'filtering' are they?

I've been through the NSW legislation http://www.legislation.nsw.gov.au/viewtop/inforce/subordleg+179+2008+fn+0+N

And I can't see any reference specifically making 'filtering' illegal. The only reference I can find that remotely comes close is Rule 141.

There are references to the number of vehicles allowed in a lane, and the allowed exceptions. There's rules for driving in lanes and moving between lanes.
  18. Yes it is illegal, all you L platers stay out of my way when I am splitting otherwise you will be run over.
  19. Oh, yes, that's right. Sorry, my bad. You're right. It is illegal. Not to mention dangerous, particularly if you put your right glove on first.....
  20. It's legal if your pipe is loud enough to save your life.
    Nothing like riding a Yoshi down a steel-lined tunnel 1 meter wide...