Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Lanesplitting - fast or slow?

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by carri27, Jun 16, 2010.

1. My partner and i disagree on safe lanesplitting. he rides slowly in case someone opens a car door. i ride a bit more quickly to get to the front before the lights turn green. what are your thoughts?

2. Fast.

I spend as little time in people's blind-spots as possible.
  3. You're both right, and i'm not just saying that to keep the peace. Some situations require a little more finesse than others. Car doors are one consideration, pedestrians running between the cars is another.

But then on the other hand it can pay to zip past some cars if you think they might be a bit jumpy or wandering around in their lane. In some situations it's far better to not wait for them to see you cos they're too clueless to know what to do anyway.

Jeez, now I'm looking forward to the next dinner party :D

P.S. don't listen to anything Brownny has to say ;)
  4. I do it at a prudent pace. Basically, minimise the speed differential as that is where things can go rather wrong. Typically, I will keep the speed difference down to no more than 40km/h.
  5. It all depends on the conditions but usually cautiously, I ride quickly enough to get through safly but slow enough to cut in and manoeuvre if need be, the more agile the bike the easier it is
  6. As someone who has had plenty of cars decide they want my lane (and get a nice blast of the horn), I've never felt really threatened by riding in traffic. Maintain distance in front, stay in lanes that give me options and I feel pretty safe.

A car wanting to get into another lane in stopped traffic will still pull over the white line to force in, and at speed that would be a show stopper. I'll take it slow thanks :)
  7. I've only filtered a couple of times but each time a little over walking pace incase somebody does open their door or shut the door on me by deliberately moving across to block my path.
  8. i'm with cheffie, time / place / instinct dictate my speed moving through traffic.
  9. also with chef
  10. Yep, there's no fixed rules on this one. Sometimes you can smell a car door about to open, or somebody about to dash for a parking spot or a clear lane and you slow down, other times you wanna get past as quick as you can.
  11. Depends on how the traffic reads. Sometimes you have to just use the force and let that dictate speed. Usually though I'll go at a slower speed past stopped cars in case I have to brake or duck behind a car to change lanes. When they're moving though I go through fast, especially if the other vehicles are moving at speed on the freeway.
  12. Unless your in sydney, then your only choice is to do it slowly. maybe I'm just rubbish at splitting.
  13. kenny's way he hasn't crashed in 17yrs (must be close to 20yrs now) must be doing something right :cheeky:

carri i probably mix my splitting a little from column A and a little from column B
  14. I normally go as fast as I can without getting my mirrors caught, keeping revs unnecessarily high so hopefully people will hear me, but I watch the front incase it starts moving, in which case I will merge back into traffic, but when filtering if I see someone near the front has left a large gap and they are only 2-3 cars back I will fill that gap rather than filtering all the way to the front.
  15. Agree with minimising speed differential. People do odd and ridiculous things and it's nice to be slow enough to deal it. I vote slow.
  16. Half the people responding in this thread are talking about moving traffic. The other half responding are talking about stationery traffic...

From my months experience of lane filtering/splitting, i probably go slightly faster when moving past stationery traffic (relative to the speed of the vehicles).
  17. Totally depends on conditions, width of lanes and shiz...

I'd split at warp speed in some places, but crawl through in others where you know people are gonna quickly flick into another lane.

Edit: You said lanesplitting, but I think you might have meant filtering?
    Do that quick if you can, nothing worse than getting stuck between cages when the light goes green.
  18. Depends on conditions.
    On the Monash Fwy I like to split at a decent pace in the far right lane.
    General rule I use is about 40km when the cars have stopped and to increase speed accordingly to the pace of the cars.
    Consensus is not to stay next to the same car for a prolonged period, ie keep moving forward.

In suburban traffic its a bit slower as the splitting gap is usually narrower and the position of the cars seems to be more staggered.
  19. Play it by ear - as others have said, there's times you'll want to get out of the way quickly and others where it will pay to be very cautious.

As I've posted before...

British Guidelines
    The British publication “Motorcycle Roadcraft” ( The Police Riders Handbook to Better Motorcycling), notes the following under the topic of “overtaking”:-

When traffic is stationary or moving slowly in queues, motorcyclists can use their manoeuvrability and limited space requirements to make progress. The advantages of filtering along or between stopped or slow moving traffic have to be weighed against the increased vulnerability while filtering.
    If you decide to filter:
    • Take extreme care
    • Keep your speed low- you need to be able to stop suddenly if circumstances change
    • Always identify a place where you can rejoin the traffic flow before you move out
    • Make yourself visible – consider using dipped headlight
    • Be ready to brake and/or use the horn
    • Use the opportunity to make progress but be courteous and avoid conflict with other road users

Watch out for and anticipate:
    • Pedestrians crossing between vehicles
    • Vehicles emerging from junctions
    • Vehicles changing lanes or U-turning without warning
    • Doors opening
    • Reflective paint and studs which could throw the bike off line
    • Traffic islands
    • Other bikes also filtering
  20. Love that, in Britain the Police give out filtering handbooks, in Australia they tell you bikes are "deathtraps". and filtering "is illegal and dangerous".