Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

QLD Lane Splitting

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' at netrider.net.au started by Bravus, Aug 1, 2006.

1. Lo all

Have some patience with the newb - no doubt this has been covered before, but I couldn't find it.

I gather from discussions here that lane splitting is legal (or at least, not illegal) in Victoria, but illegal in NSW. What's the deal in Queensland? Any other peculiarities of the law with respect to bikes I should know about, since I'm just back on bikes after doing a lot of riding in NSW years ago, and just moved to Brisbane?

Thanx,

Bravus

2. Hey Mate,
    As far as I know it isn't illegal to filter to the front of traffic while it is stopped at an intersection, I do it. But I am not sure about splitting whilst the traffic is moving, I don't do that...

Having said that, if I see any boys in blue, I generally just wait in traffic, don't want to get done for some conjured up charge...

Other than that, I've recently moved to Brisbane from NSW and haven't found any other oddities or differences yet...

Good Luck Mate, Might seeya about...
    Ed

3. Sounds good, thanx - us nekkid twifties gotta stick together. ;)

4. Hahaha Yeah mate...

Love showing a bit of engine!! :LOL:

5. In queensland it is legal to pass on the left or the right of a stationary vehicle provided it is safe to do so (i.e. you can lane-split non-moving traffic). The passing on the left is unique to Queensland - well, at least, we can't do that in Victoria (which is why people talk about staying to the left of the white line etc.)

The passing on the left amendment came on 1/1/5
    http://www.transport.qld.gov.au/qt/LTASinfo.nsf/index/roadrules_update
    and is now documented in the QLD road rules document (see 141c in http://www.legislation.qld.gov.au/LEGISLTN/CURRENT/T/TrantOpRURR99.pdf)

Not sure about moving traffic (I didn't search for it), but I doubt it is legal.

You may also be interested in road rule 151 - talks about bikes (motor and/or push) sharing a lane.

6. Cool, thanks for that: exactly what I was looking for, and very helpful to know.

7. Isn't that a curious anomaly? I mean, in practice you actually ARE allowed to pass on the left of a stationary vehicle, because the exceptions to NOT being allowed to pass on the left are when said vehicle is turning, or in congested traffic.
    I'm not interested in opening the debate (had enough for now...) but it seems utterly ridiculous to have a rule, but then have an exception for every situation where it might apply in real life? Except of course, for motorcycles.
    Sharing a lane is another matter, but there are exceptions to that, too.
    I wonder if this is a case where a national standardising of rules might actually benefit Victorians.

8. To my knowledge, it's not explicitly illegal anywhere in Oz - you just break so many other laws doing it that if a copper wants you he'll get you for something. It just won't say "lane splitting" on the fine.