Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Lane splitting

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by Riderman, Jan 11, 2010.

1. Hi all,

Quick question - I have heard this is a grey area. I have observed that most motorcyclists do not lane split in front of marked police cars. However there has been more than one occasion where I've seen people lane split in front of police vehicles and nothing happens. What are your expeiences with the authorities regarding lane splitting?

Do the authorities turn a blind eye to this rule? I tried looking up on RTA website what the fine and demerit points for this offence is and couldn't find anything. I've heard people say its $20 a vehicle but that doesnt sound right.

Last question - what is the ettiquette in lane splitting? What happens when you are in the middle of two lanes and see that you cannot move any more forward as the two cars are too close together? If you remain in the middle of both lanes until the green light, do other cars give way to you to merge in front of them?

If you're in a situation where there is a gap too narrow to pass, what do you do? Generally when I am in my car (in traffic) and see bikes coming up behind, I try to make room for them to pass - partly for fear they'll take off my side mirror!

Today I was sitting in traffic with my L plates and some fellow bikers came by and slowed down and revved their engines i think signalling me to follow them but I didn't as I wouldnt know what to do.

2. go do a search and have a dig around the politics / law section. you'll find the answers there.
  3. +1 searching

also FYI when you post something which is a local/state law, you should put the relevant state in the title :)

Such as:
    [NSW] Lane splitting legalities

My short answer: I'm all for filtering, though I don't agree with lane splitting. IF you can't get through a gap, just slot into the line of traffic
  4. Plenty of topics in politics forum all answers there.
  5. What are your expeiences with the authorities regarding lane splitting?

In NSW, go for your life. Just dont be stupid when your going past cops.

If you're in a situation where there is a gap too narrow to pass, what do you do?

Back yourself and keep going, you'll make it :-s
    But really, what sort of answer did you expect? ](*,)
  6. I heard you can be fined for every vehicle you illegally pass, and damn i passed a lot illegally on saturday :p.
    New England Highway just out of Newcastle and heading east into town. Not far from town and the rozzers thought it would be a good idea to block an entire lane off so they could do random breath testing. Needless to say the 7km traffic jam that resulted was no problem on the bike :).
  7. I heard that filtering is only legal if you do a wheelie whilst doing it and splitting is only to be done whilst sitting on the tank and singing the oompa loompa song.

If either is done in any other situation your record is instantly tarnished, your pride and joy is locked up under the anti hoon laws and the police all take turns testing the tazer on you while you're in the holding cell.

This is all true.
  8. Wheel Stands while lane splitting is not appreciated by the authorities
  9. The proper ettiquette is to bang on the roof of each car before you pass to let them know you intend on coming through.

Nah seriously, its against the law but one of those things that happens so frequently its hard enforce. The thing with not doing it past cops is it's best not to hand them your license on a silver platter.
  10. Sure its illegal but its legal to pass a stationary vehicle to the left.... therefore :)

Filtering = barely legal and splitting = dangerous and not legal.

I only split if the traffic is disgustingly heavy. As for filtering... well.... anytime a cops not around. Its not that I don't have confidence in the legislation, its just that I don't have confidence in the cops interpretation of the legislation that i'm worried about.
  11. Technically both filtering (cruising up the queue in stationary traffic) and splitting (moving between cars to move through traffic) can get you a fine as far as I'm aware. If you do so competently, I believe a blind eye will be turned to filtering since stationary cars can't exactly change lanes but not with splitting. I only ever split once and that was when traffic was disgraceful and I didn't feel like doing hill starts every 20-50m. For anyone who knows the road, it was on Ferntree Gully Road going up Wheeler's Hill when roadworks was still going on. I only decided to split after I saw someone else go past so I followed them but at a lower speed. They looked like they did it often enough. I got about half way up the hill and it felt unsafe to me because cars and small trucks could still suddenly change lanes even though it was heavy / really slow going so I ended up doing a couple of hill starts when I saw I couldn't go past stationary cars.

Really, it is up to you what you do. The way I see it, the only potential issue you face with filtering is if some clown decides to open their door to prevent you from going past. Nearly all motorists aren't that much of pricks so filtering is generally safe enough. The riders who split will say they do it safely enough. Given they haven't been knocked off yet, you can't argue with them with that statement. With what I've seen on the Monash Freeway, they are still trusting the motorist not to suddenly change lanes and that's the risk they accept. My example is that I was going to do that once (suddenly change lanes) but didn't because I saw a bike (had something like GIXXXR as a plate) coming so gave up my chance to hit the gap. How many others would have checked for a splitting bike?
  12. Yer but i'm in NSW :D

We haven't quite succombed into the police state that victoria is just yet.
  13. The Victorian rules were changed recently. While they made a lot of noise about some of the changes, this one wasn't publicised at all...

From the Victorian Road Rules 2009.

Page 168/169

141 No overtaking etc. to the left of a vehicle

(1) A driver (except the rider of a bicycle) must not
    overtake a vehicle to the left of the vehicle

(a) the driver is driving on a multi-lane road and
    the vehicle can be safely overtaken in a
    marked lane to the left of the vehicle; or

(b) the vehicle is turning right, or making a
    U-turn from the centre of the road, and is
    giving a right change of direction signal; or

(c) the vehicle is stationary and it is safe to
    overtake to the left of the vehicle.

Penalty: 5 penalty units.

You need to indicate before filtering and you can be booked if you cross an unbroken white line. I would ecommend that you carry a copy of the rules until news filters down to the average cop that overtaking a stationary vehicle on the left is not illegal in itself.
  14. Good to hear you guys finally got some sanity introduced down there :)
  15. Hi there!

you just have to quickly cut in....you're going to be in a tight space for a second, but it will open up as the traffic starts moving and you''ll find a way out of there...but just confidently push in, right on the change to green...you can't just sit there because nobodies going to let you in...you'll probably piss off the guy you cut in front of, but **** em.

try to avoid getting yourself into this situation.
  16. There are guidelines available from overseas which will assist you - they won't make it more legal but give an indication about how to filter safely. I've put them up before but I'll repost them here.

First the Dutch guidelines...

The UK guidelines:

17. It was, quite frankly, an oversight.

18. True, I don't think VicRoads realise that they've actually implemented this ARR.
  19. Thanks for your answers - very helpful.

I asked that because on my commute from work, I can see a long 2 lane queue of cars, but in the middle of the gap would be a cars that are too close next to each other. I've watched other bikers and they get up to where they can in between the 2 lanes of stationery cars and wait until traffic starts moving and then they somehow get into the lane.