Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Lane splitting topics.

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by smee, Sep 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. A few thoughts on lanesplitting (in either stationary or moving traffic):

Know how wide your bike is. Be reasonably confident in that knowledge before you start splitting. At the least you may damage a few mirrors if you stuff up, at the worst you may put yourself under a semi.

When aiming for a gap, decide whether you'll fit, then look at the centre of the gap rather than the vehicles on either side. Remember, you go where you look.

Check your mirrors regularly, and if a quicker rider's behind you move over for him or her.

If you come up behind another rider, or if you're following another rider, don't assume that you'll be able to fit through the same gaps. Their bike may be narrower than yours, or a gap may close before you get through it. It's easy to find yourself watching the rider in front of you rather than making your own decisions about the gaps and the flow of the traffic. Bad move!

Your throttle is (generally) a better friend than your brakes. If in doubt, get the hell out of there. Simply hitting the brakes is likely to unbalance the bike, make it harder to steer and may dump you on your ear if you lock up the front wheel.

For God's sake, pay attention to what you're doing! Thinking about your work day or what you'll have for dinner is a Bad Idea under the circumstances.

If you've split to the front of the queue at a red light, pull across ahead of a car at the front of the line as you come to a stop. That way any rider following you won't be stuck between the lines of cars, looking at your tailpipe. Not doing this is pretty inconsiderate really.

Lanesplit at your own pace, don't treat it as a competitive sport. Make your own judgements about the best speed for you, and whether you should tackle a gap. The more practice you get, the more confident and fluent you'll become. But there will always be riders who're faster and slicker than you, just as there'll always be riders who're less comfortable with splitting than you are. Establish your own comfort zone and work within it.

Watch out if one lane is bumper-to-bumper and there's a decent gap in the adjacent lane. You can guarantee that some genius will decide to pull across into the gap, probably without indicating and invariably just as you're about to pass them. Assume this will happen and sometimes you'll be pleasantly surprised. But if it does happen you've got a chance of being ready for it.

If you've split past a semi or bus and want to pull into the lane in front of it, watch out for cars passing it on the other side that also decide to pull in front of it. If they want to occupy the same bit of road as you, they'll win.

Don't commit yourself to a situation unless you can either see how you'll get yourself out of it, or you can stop within the road you can see. Sounds weird, but freeways have curves. You can be splitting past a semi on your right, then past a semi on your left. If the road curves you may not be able to see, when you start your move, how much of a gap there is at the front of that second semi. If you nail the throttle as you pass the first semi, you may be firing yourself blindly into a gap that's too narrow for you. Assume the worst - paranoia is your friend.

What if it's raining or dark? Well, splitting becomes more dangerous then (you don't need to be Stephen Hawking to figure that out). Does that mean you shouldn't do it? Hey, you're an intelligent adult so make your own decisions. If you decide to split down the freeway when it's cold, wet, dark and your tyres are slipping as they clip the reflective lane markers, bear in mind that you're less likely to be spotted by drivers and that swerving, accelerating and braking should be tackled with rather more caution than in the dry. Leave more space and be hyper-alert.

Splitting past police vehicles at warp speed is a fundamentally risky business. I've never had a problem splitting past police cars when the traffic's stationary and I've kept the speed down. Splitting past police on arterial roads or freeways is probably not a good idea. On the freeway, shift one lane over and split in that gap as you pass the constabulary.

Okay, that's about it from me. Anyone else care to offer suggestions on this topic?
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Gromit, you forgot the mention, the rear brake is great for controlling your speed at the lower speeds of filtering
  3. Wow.. dedicated post there.. Lots of info given
  4. I also meant to say that lanesplitting moving traffic on the freeway is a bit like playing a 3D videogame that can kill you. I like that. :wink:
  5. +1 for a great post gromit.

As a side not I would add that splitting past semi's makes tha gap look bigger because of the area between their weel bases....the gap is not bigger and thats a bad spot to be stuck. :shock:
  6. Agreed!

I thought of something else:

If visibility is bad (eg it's after dark), it's damn near impossible to see vehicles' side mirrors. So be conservative in deciding to commit yourself to a gap.

And watch out for 4wds and Transit vans - you can assume their mirrors are at head height, even if you can't see them...
  7. :LOL:
    in an attempt to curb the outbreak of new lane-splitting topics. smee started another one!!
  8. Where, I cant see any :rofl:
  9. You might wanna carry a weapon of some sort (baseball bat or something) for those motorists that whinge all the time!!
  10. and differentiate between SPLITTING and FILTERING

splitting is the act of splitting between MOVING TRAFFIC

FILTERING is done when traffic is stationary like at the lights etc..

tho we all losely classify it as splitting :)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.