Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Lane Splitting Data - California Office of Traffic Safety

Discussion in 'Research, Studies, and Data' started by lockie, May 8, 2012.

1. via Jalopnik via Hell for Leather:

The official doc is here: http://issuu.com/hellforleather/docs/motorcycle_lane_split_survey-mc_rider_response_sec

Interesting read

2. The interesting point is that California unlike many other USA states had no prohibition on filtering. In fact the police there say it is not inherently dangerous.

So why are government bodies so against it here?
  3. 10 bucks says california has a polly or two who ride.
  4. Read the comments ...

Edit: Also, the article does not say it is not dangerous, the police officer interviewed actually says it is not safe. Not a good article.
  5. Yes they are not an advertisement for cager responsibility are they. :) Nevertheless it is legal in California and they don't seem to have a big problem with it.

In fact California with one of the highest rates of motorcycle registration in the USA has one of the lowest levels of rear end collision with motorcycles.

Lane Sharing A Global Solution for Motorcycle Safety (PDF)
    • Like Like x 2
  6. "- Never tailgate. In dry conditions, motorcycles can stop more quickly than cars."

7. I'd love to say it's because the California legislature has their head screwed on the right way, I'm from there originally and don't want to lie to you guys. They're just retarded in different ways.
  8. I use hand gestures to draw attention to myself occasionally when riding.
    but I don't think that's what they're referring to here.
    • Like Like x 2
  9. It's not filtering we're talking about here - it's lane splitting at freweway speeds.
  10. It is possible scenario, as motorcycles tend to have better tyres (sticky etc.). That's why we have to replace them at a much higher rate than car drivers.

ABS-equipped motorcycles are even better as they can consistently outbrake a car.

However modern car with sporty tyres, ABS, EBD and ESP won't leave many chances to an average motorcycle.
  11. I'd say "average for average" a car is gonna outbrake a bike, though. Sure there are times when a bike can outbrake the car but I'd say they're in the minority.
  12. No
    Very unlikely

Four contact patches are better than two. However, riders outbrake cars all the time, not because bikes are better, lighter, etc than cars, but because the riders are generally more switched on than car drivers. They generally have better hazard perception skills than drivers so respond more quickly. This was even proven by a small MUARC study.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Up to the late seventies and early eighties it was generally true. Since then tyre compounds and brakes on the average car have seriously improved. It's also true however that you'll generally be able to outbrake most of these older cars on a good surface.

The MUARC study that Rod referred to was one on perception times. Motorcyclists can recognise potentially dangerous situations anything up to two seconds before a car driver does (and that's the same whether you're on a bike or in a car). Actual reaction times can also be significantly quicker - particularly if you're covering the brakes.
  14. I guess it's 50/50. Average car has crap tyres, that's the problem.
  15. and an average rider probably isn't that skilled on the brakes, to be fair.
  16. That's true, but it's not that simple. Average car tyre is not as sticky as average motorcycle one. Average motorcycle tyre is replaced every 10-15.000, while cars run 30-40.000 with ease. Compound is still pretty much different for an average car/motorcycle.

Electronic systems give cars a lot more. EBD (Electronic Brake Force Distribution) squeezes every bit from tyres. I guess average rider is not even close to that.

So I guess it's 50/50 and mostly comes down to awareness - something I deliberately removed from the equation as I was replying to the very specific question that did not include roadcraft at all.
  17. Aw c'mon Tony. You're old enough to remember Jokohama tyres and Honda swinging calipers, amongst other horrors. No way was there ever an advantage to the bike :D.

From an engineering point of view, cars have always been able to outbrake bikes under pretty much all circumstances. Anyone who seriously believes otherwise is deluding themselves.

From a rider/driver awareness angle things are different. An even half competent rider will be on the brakes long before the average car driver is even aware of the situation which requires the response. What proportion of riders are half competent or better and what proportion of car drivers are average is open to question though.
  18. I use the efficient version of hand signals -a single digit where applicable.

The response can be varied though.
  19. I would be interested in testing that. My car doesn't have power-assisted brakes let alone ABS, EBD or ESP. However a set of tyres only lasts me about 10 to 12,000km
  20. As well as the original document from the OTS, there are some more revealing (and refreshing) views in the OTS Press Release referring to this survey. How about:

Can we expect the TAC to advocate:

One disconcerting find was from the North Country Times. which echoes the bane of our existence: