Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Lane Splitting Clarification

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by bass_player, Apr 7, 2006.

1. This morning on the way to work I was pulled over by a motorcycle cop for riding on the extreme left of banked up traffic. Turns out that part of the road is a median strip. I didn't see the cop till the last minute and then the bugger came after me. So he pulled me over looked at my licence and asked why I was riding there. I muttered something about the freedom of riding a bike or something but was really thinking about having to catch a train to work from now on.

Anyway the cop was pretty cool and didn't take my licence or fine me. I took the opportunity to ask him about the splitting/filtering rules. He said that it is legal (at least here in SA) to split stationery traffic on either the left or right, as long as there is enough room to do it in the same lane. You are not allowed to ride down the lane markers or switch between lanes (i guess if you indicate every time you change it might be ok). But he did emphasise that the traffic must be stationery.
  2. sounds like you had a luck break. well that splitting rule does sound right. So basically dont lane split as it would be pretty hard to stay in the one lane.. :?
  3. Or keep your indicator on as you say! :)

Can anyone in NSW point me to where the RTA says lane splitting is illegal? I keep hearing different things and there are so many posts about it.

I tried having a look myself and can't find anything official.
  4. There is currently no law against lane splitting. Just as there is no law against doing wheelies either. But in doing either, there is always something the cops can use to book you, lanesplitting involves riding alongside another vehicle, not indicating, overtaking to the left etc etc etc