Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Lane Position

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by BlueRex, Oct 5, 2006.

1. Ok here is my theory.
    4 lanes two going in each direction, i want to pass a car on my left, my thoughts are that i pass the car in the right hand lane let wheel track. My reasoning behind this is that i am close enough to see any head movement indicating that they are going to move across and if they do move across i have the rest of the lane to my right to try and avoid them.

Is this a good way to pass or not.

And of couse i will be passing as quickly as possible :)

2. just pass already, no need to think too much
  3. I would like to improve my road craft, if you have nothing important to say bugger off :)
  4. Yeap. That's how I pass.
    Of course what if they don't even do a head check? I kinda try to quickly get close to driver's area so he/she can at least hear the bike then start to overtake.

That's just me.
  5. +1.
    Try to stay away from their blind spot. or spend as little time as possible... depending on the situation.. I sometimes make more room in between and stay in the middle of the lane if passing trucks or bus..
  6. Try to make eye contact, thru mirrors etc. If you can see them they are more likely to see you. If you pass too close on the left you will be in their blind spot longer.
  7. It's not a bad idea to pause for a while behind them so they have a chance to see you behind them before you overtake. Keep as much distance between yourself and any other traffic on the road as you can. Oncoming traffic usually will have no trouble seeing you, but buffeting from their passage can be a problem. I prefer the left edge of the right wheel track. It does depend on the shape of the road surface though. Some roads are grooved. Yeah, spend as little time in any blind spot as you can.
  8. Yep, just get out of the blind spots quickly. Take note of when you can see the driver's eyes. You can even change which part of the lane you're in. Ideally left wheel track, but don't have to be stuck in one line if visibility is reduced. I usually pause in their vision, then zoom past to right beside them or completely past. If I can't get beside their head, I don't like to be beside the car at all.
  9. I would say left wheel track if there is oncoming traffic, just cos the oncoming traffic will hit you at a higher combined speed than the car travelling at roughly the same speed as you. However if there is no oncoming traffic I would suggest right wheel track. Anyway that is what I do.
  10. Hi all, another newbie here. What does the RTA in NSW say about this issue? Under the circumstances above I have been lead to believe that (unless raining), that the middle of the lane is prefferable, as you can get out of the worst blind spots, yet you have less buffeting than being in the right track.
  11. In the circumstances as given by the OP, you are in control of the situation, travelling faster than the vehicle in the left lane. Passing the car quickly is better than passing the car slowly. Looking ahead of the car, for anything ahead in the left lane which may cause the driver to change lanes is more important than being seen by the driver initially. Positioning yourself where you are most likely to be seen when you are approaching the car is better than not, so the left wheel track of the right lane. Positioning yourself where you give yourself the biggest buffer space while passing is better than no, so the right wheel track of the right lane.

If it were me I'd be in the left wheel track of the right lane with one eye on the road ahead - looking at what's ahead in my lane as well as what's ahead in the left lane -, one eye on the driverside mirror/window of the car - looking for any indication that the driver had either acknowledged my existance or was distracted by something else going on in their car -and one eye on everything else. Several metres before i reached the rear of the car I'd drift across to the centre or right wheel track and give the throttle a squirt, and made a definite passing move. Not loitering for very long alongside the car, and once I had completely passed the car I would back off the throttle to whatever speed I want to be doing and drift back across to the left wheel track or even into the right wheel track of the left lane depending on the circumstances.