Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

NSW Lane number question

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by plaidler, Apr 11, 2016.

1. In the process of fighting a speeding fine im trying to figure out what the method of numeric allocation is. For example on King Georges Road where there are 3 lanes, the middle lane is "2" but which lane is considered "1" and "3".

Tried a few searches but couldn't come up with anything definitive.

2. good question but I don't have an answer for you. I tried googling to no avail.

I suggest you ask a LEO or your insurance company as they will be using this nomenclature on a regular basis.

best of luck with the challenge!

edit: just thought I'd worked it out for you - checked pics of the Harbour Bridge as I remembered they are numbered but north or south they are numbered starting from the western side so it didn't work out.
  3. I have no definitive answer but as we drive on the left I would say Lane 1 is the furthest to the left and increasing in number as you go right. As some supporting evidence there is this view of the Westgate bridge in Melbourne on the Westward lanes numbered 1W (One West) to 5W (Five West) from left to right.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. #4 Andrew West, Apr 12, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2016
    Hmmmm surely logic would suggest lane closest to the gutter would be lane 1 but I couldn't be sure. Good question !

That makes sense cjvfrcjvfr yet the Sydney Harbour bridge is numbered 1 through 6, 1-3 heading North and 4-6 heading South I think.

Also the biggest difference between the two bridges is there is no division/barrier on the SHB yet if memory serves me the Westgate does.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Lane 1 is always the furthest left hand lane, and the number increases the more lanes to the right you go. I've been to court & this is how they're numbered.
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Maybe use what seems to be commonly accepted 1,2,3 from kerbside to median side respectively and then in brackets after the number put either (adjacent kerb/median) to put it beyond doubt.

Good luck
    • Like Like x 1