Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

ACT Lane filtering trial given green light

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by Maurice Blackburn, Aug 29, 2014.

1. Great news in the push for national lane filtering, with the ACT Government today announcing a two-year trial of lane filtering, beginning 1 February 2015.

Read Attorney-General Simon Corbell's announcement:

The trial is supported by Maurice Blackburn; we're the law firm behind the Stop SMIDSY campaign. Here's our media statement: http://bit.ly/1qmcwXl

And you can get more info from the Canberra Times. Here's their story, which we're delighted to report includes the lane filtering video created by the Stop SMIDSY team with help from Gozer studios: http://www.canberratimes.com.au/act...-in-act-in-february-2015-20140829-109xoj.html

• Informative Informative x 2
  2. The ACT has just announced it will be introducing motorcycle filtering. :)

Motorcycle lane filtering to start in ACT in February 2015
    ACT News
    DateAugust 29, 2014 - 3:39PM

President of Motorcycle Riders ACT Steve Robson supported calls for a trial of lane filtering in the ACT Photo: Jay Cronan

The ACT will trial motorcycle lane filtering from February next year, allowing riders to move between stationary or slow moving vehicles in the same lane.

A two-year trial of the filtering will start on February 1, 2015.

"One of the benefits of lane filtering is it allows motorcyclists to move quickly and safely away from congested areas of traffic. This provides motorcyclists with an opportunity to have the front position in a lane – away from other traffic," said Attorney General Simon Corbell.

"Lane filtering is not the same as lane splitting which is done at higher speeds and increases the unpredictability of motorcyclist movements for other road users."

Lane filtering was legalised in New South Wales two months ago after a trial in Sydney showed it's a relatively low risk riding activity for motorcyclists in low speed traffic situations.

There motorcyclists are restricted to a 30km/h speed limit when engaging in lane filtering and are also prohibited from lane filtering next to a kerb or within a school zone.

The ACT trial will have the same conditions, with filtering also prohibited in bicycle and breakdown lanes, past heavy vehicles and buses, and restricted to fully licensed motorcyclists.

"This trial will cover the whole of the ACT and will include a number of conditions aimed at making the practice safe for motorcyclists and all other road users," Mr Corbell said.

"I am aware that some motorists feel annoyed when they see motorcyclists filtering through traffic, however, given the low risk nature of this trial, there is a need for all road users to demonstrate understanding and compromise in order to achieve the desired 'share the road' culture."

The trial comes after a Legislative Assembly report following an inquiry into vulnerable road users included a recommendation a trial of motorcycle lane filtering be conducted by March 2015.

Commenting after the trial was first mooted in July, Motorcycle Riders Association of the ACT president Steve Robson supported the idea and commended the 30km/h restriction, believing it to be vital for the safety of motorcyclists and other road users.

"The last thing we want is for a motorcyclist to endanger themselves or anyone else as a result of exceeding speed limits and moving too quickly between traffic," he said.

Maurice Blackburn law firm has been advocating for lane filtering legislation, and has been behind an online campaign and video for the laws.

It cites a 2009 European study on motorcycle accidents showing lane filtering is safer for riders.

Maurice Blackburn principal, Walter Hawkins, said the ACT trial would reduce confusion for riders and others in the ACT, who regularly crossed borders into NSW
    • Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. I don't like the "past heavy vehicles" restriction. Makes it pretty difficult on a two lane road, or a larger road where trucks are in multiple lanes.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. ACT . a 2 year trial ? That's a long trial . But good for you ATC
  5. I can foresee people trying to filter between two trucks without that restriction and one or both of them not seeing the rider. It's not a position I'd like to be in, effectively invisible and immediately in front of 40t of truck, if I accidentally stalled on take-off or clipped a rope with my bars and went down under the vehicle.
    Just my opinion of course, and I have very rarely filtered before now. More experienced filter-ers might not consider this a realistic problem, I don't know.
  6. Bear in mind, the rule forbids a truck even on one side only.

I agree between two trucks can be daunting, but I normally don't have any trouble next to one. I find they're usually better at holding a straight line than cars, and are much less likely to move or change lanes suddenly.
  7. Are we sure about that? (I am not, either way, and ready to be educated.)
    But this report says:
    The ACT will trial motorcycle lane filtering from February next year, allowing riders to move between stationary or slow moving vehicles in the same lane.

There's a fairly obvious logic in not sharing the same lane with a heavy vehicle (it being much wider than a car). I'm looking for the bit about being in (and sharing) the adjacent lane to the heavy vehicle.
  8. But if you have to duck into the same lane as the truck to get past a sticking out cage, would you be committing an offence?

In fact, what is the rule, if any, about which side of the line you need to stay on? This is what I have trouble with now when filtering stationery traffic in Vic. How does one obey the not crossing the solid line rule, and does it still apply in NSW?
  9. Playing devils advocate, I would guess the police would tell you that there is no requirement for you to get past, and if you can't do it safely then it's not legal and you should stay were you are.
    However I cannot find reference to passing heavy vehicles in the rule, and the NSW govt announcement used the words 'should not', not 'must not' in relation to heavy vehicles.

I'm not saying I have the answer to your question (ask Dave Cooke) but pretty obviously, you cannot legally cross a solid line in Vic (real world aside). This appears to be one of VicPol's main objections to filtering.
    NSW rule 151-1 says:
    The rider of a motor bike must not ride past another motor vehicle being driven in the same direction as the rider if the rider is:
    (a) in the same marked lane as, or on a dividing line adjacent to, the vehicle while passing the vehicle, and
    (b) riding the motor bike at a speed in excess of 30 kilometres per hour.

In other words, it appears (to me) that in NSW they can ride on the line, or either side of it, as long as it's under 30km/h.
  10. In front of trucks is also a great position to squeeze back into traffic if you cant get to the front of the queue. If I look ahead and see my path is blocked up ahead ill always look for slow accelerating vehicles and get in front of them rather than take the risk that the cars behind the blockage are going to act like douches to block me from merging with traffic.

Waiting behind a truck is probably the worst place to be as cars behind trucks can get impatient about the slow acceleration.
  11. Soooo much marketing bullshit. There's a really simple reason why this came about. Think about it. It's actually really obvious.