Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

LAMS training

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' at netrider.net.au started by rev, Feb 11, 2007.

1. Hi Folks,

I was in Newcastle a while ago for work. I noticed a heaps of learners out doing a road ride, which is part of their test apparently.

What amazed me was all bikes were 250cc or scooters. I'm unsure if they were the students bikes or supplied / hired training bikes.

Do any states that have LAMS approved bikes have LAMS bikes able to be used for the test?

It raises the a question of if LAMS bikes are so safe, why not train on them?

Not opening a can of worms just wanted the opinon of someone from NSW (or SA if they are the same??)

REV

2. When I did my Ps last month, some people hired the 250s because it is easier to do the MOST test on a small nimble 250 or a scooter. The guy who brought his Ducati Monster 650 did not past. Therefore, he'll probably hire a CB250 next time and tell his mates to do the same.

As for scooters, if you are over 30 (with driving experience), I remember the instructor saying that after one year, they can go onto the manual licence (ie ride a normal bike). Someone please correct me. I think that's what I hear him say to the scooter guys.

Without opening a can of worms, please confirm/correct what I am saying.

3. gday rev the reason none of the testing centres use larger capacity bikes that are on the lams list is a cost factor they get the cb250's for next to nix, they cost a little over $5000 new compared to $8000+ plus they can get the crash bars fitted to the cb's as their bikes have a tendency to be dropped on the learners course's

4. Up here in Queensland if you have held you car licence for 5 years you can go straight to an unrestricted bike. At the QRide school I attended I rode a CB400, a Japanese import that is way better than a CB250. The cost to buy is about the same ~ $4-5k.

5. Newcastle has the garbage Daelim 125 bikes. Lots of people hire them cause they are supposedly easier to get through the test on.

Layto....

6. In NSW (Bega) if you are over thirty you can go straight to black licence. Had my L's for eight weeks. Within 4 months was riding an SV650s. Only restriction is not to carry a pillion for 12 months but not stated on licence.

7. thanks for the answers everyone.

it seemed odd to me that LAMS bikes are allowed for people on a learners but nobody uses them. For me it seems the test is a bit skewed one way but laws another.

Only my obs from a mexican

REV

8. I guess whats worse is that alot of dealers try to push and sell bikes that are obviously not MOST friendly e.g. big long cruisers, then when you don't pass the test and you've given up on riding they offord to buy the bike back (but ofcourse you get screwed on the buy back price)

I remember looking at the Hyosung GV250 (?) - the entry level cruiser they have. sure it's a 250cc but if I did purchase that then there is no way I'll pass the test.... it's a friggin long and big cruiser for a 250cc...

I have enough troubles doing the cone weave on the Virago already - but at least the Virago is a realistic MOST bike and alot of people I know have passed (and failed...) on it.

........... but the positive side of LAMS is that it lowers the demand for 250cc's therefore making it cheaper to newbies like me to buy

9. sorry but that is not a very valid comment a dealoer cant push you into buy something you dont want, and as for not being able to pass the test on them the option to hire a testing centres bike is there, the reason behind lams is very valid in most cases it prevents some people from having to upgrade the second they get off restrictions.

each individual has to make their own desision can they hyandle a bigger bike, cos in reality the bikes arent that much bigger or much more powerful

if someone was to run out a purchase say a 650 v-star only to realise that cant handle the size of the bike its their own fault a dealer might try talk them into it say it will last longer for them then a 250, that it will be quicker then a 250, but at the end of the day its up to the rider to know what they are capable of riding and if they can handle the size, the dealer doesnt know each individuals personal riding style or capablities all they can do is advise what they think would be better.

there always the option of asking for a test ride if trhey wont let you have one, you dont buy the bike its that simple

10. qbnspeedfreak - yes that is true aswell cos it's all upto the YOUR own choice at the end of the day.
    But there are alot of dealers that do take advantage of people who don't know much about bikes and influencing them into making hasty decisions.
    and bigger bikes means a bigger learning curve hence a bigger commitment and sometimes people who buy bikes don't have that much commitment and are soon to be easily discouraged from riding or practicing. I've seen it in my friends and friends of friends who use to ride and now don't. So now they are left with a 650cc bike that's harder to sell privately and won't sell back to dealers cos they'll give a disturbingly low price...

a dealer should understand and help buyers with their decisions in relations to their needs and their realistic wants. Everyone wants a Ducati.... but how many people have a 'Ducati Commitment' ?

I dunno - I'm speaking from a person who works 10 hour days 5 days a week with other commitments outside of work that pretty much leaves me with either 1 hour of riding a day (hardly... too tired...) or trying to fit it in the weekends of practice (commuting doesn't count cos it's just point A to point B - your not focussing on the techicalities of riding so much to be called practising)

btw - about using their bikes (CB-250) how much practice you get with em??? I'm scared that if you're not used to the bike and you stall it cos you're not used to the bike or mis-judge the turn radius you might be screwed over.

I'd like to use the virago for my MOST tho - but I'm just worried I'd be disadvantaged.

11. I used a GS500 for my qride licence test. It was fairly easy to get used to but I think the whole test went for about 3hrs so didn't really get much time to practice.

Sounds like testing is a lot easier up here.

12. Mexican view here!

The Qld system seems better as you have to at least ride a bigger bike.
    Seems wrong that in NSW you ride a chinese 125 to pass a test then jump on your Harley or Supermotard

IMHO

REV