Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

LAMS recommendations

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' at netrider.net.au started by Questor, Feb 22, 2016.

1. The plan is to go sit on as much as I can over the next couple of weeks, but I'd love some personal recommendations of LAMS bikes to look out for.

I'm planning to go used (though if I find a total bargain new I won't rule it out) initially, and have no major preference for which style of bike.

I'm 180cm and 83kg if that helps too.

2. Planned usage? Ie weekend riding, commuting, crossing the Simpson?

3. Commute, weekend ride, the odd longer trip ideally

4. The two bikes I've had so far fit that bill well. Yamaha MT 07 and Honda's CB400.

• Like Like x 1
  5. There's no right answer... I'm on my P's and have a 2015 Ninja 650L, started on a 2008 Hyosung GT250R

6. If it has two wheels, a motor and a tank between your legs you've made the right choice!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. I don't know if you know about cycle ergo site, so have a look at this website to see how you would roughly look on the bikes. Other things to consider is fuel capacity (I'm sick of fueling up every second day on the commute for instance). The CB400 has a bigger range which is also better for touring. Commuting wise the CB400 is a little narrow which is a bonus for filtering. The MT07 is higher which at your height may feel better..... so much to consider! Good luck and have fun. It will be interesting to see what you end up with.

Motorcycle Ergonomics

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. welcome aboard :) have fun test riding all the various bikes :)
    Don't discount the second hand option it helps lessen the pain of that first drop.

9. You really need to try some significantly different styles before you start to make a decision. Do you want the feet forward cruiser look and feel, or will it give you a sore back like it does to me? Do you want to be hunched over the bars on a sports type bike, or upright on an adventure tourer?

Once you have tried a couple of bikes you will quickly rule some styles out as not being what you are comfortable with, and then start thinking about different brands in that style.

10. I would sit on a few bikes, both fared and naked, and see what style of riding you prefer.

I would then work out what it is you want on your bike. Is a petrol gauge important? Do you want a decent sized tank? Are you after ABS, heated grips etc

Once you know what it is you want, and what style you like, you can quickly narrow down to a few bikes that fit that spec.

As people have mentioned, things like the MT-07 or CB400 are great options, if budget isn't a worry then something like the Street Triple or a Ducati might be an option as well.

Cheers
    Juz

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. KTM Duke 200/390.

Very easy to learn on, seem to hold resale fairly well. Light weight, which is great to learn slow speed manouvers on (my Duke 200 weighs 130kg wet!).

12. Damn that's light - wouldn't want to leave it parked outside when its windy.

13. Hahaha...yeah it can get a bit hairy on freeways on windy days!!

14. Had a sit on quite a few bikes today.
    The MT-07 and Street Triple are by far my favourites, up to this point.

I love the more upright style. Have to work out the best way To afford it now!

15. Have you sat on any 250 sports/tourer bikes such as the ZZR/GPX-250 or CBR250R , Ninja 300's and GS500?
    These are solid affordable forgiving bikes for a learners

16. I did, and while they are nice, I preferred the riding position of the others. Seemed more visibility, though that could be confirmation bias!

17. Seating position can be a little misleading too.
    I'm looking at the street triple and find I have more of a forward lean on this bike than my yamaha R3.
    Most of the learner sports bikes are very upright, even with clipons.

It's difficult to find a good deal on a second hand, high end lams bike. They hold their value incredibly well.

18. I can very easily vouch for the street triple. Im telling you now, Once you start looking at the pricier Lams Options, you won't go back (well maybe). But the MT-07, Street triple and Monster 659 are basically unrestricted bikes with the same frame as their older brothers (Street triple 675r, Monster 696 etc). Basically its just a throttle stop and in my case with the triumph, a ecu restriction too. Also depends on how long you have your P's. If i was in the situation where it was only for L's (3 months) and Red P's (12 months) then i would have got something cheap e.g. ninja 300 that doesn't depreciate and is reliable. If your the same as me and have 3.5 years on restrictions (under 25) then some of the higher capacity bikes might be worth looking into as theres a number of people who upgrade from 250's after needing a bit more get go. Plus ofc the price plays a big part.
    Also don't forget to include the cost of helmet/jacket/gloves as that can often be left out of the budget.

19. Ive got my Fingers tightly crossed i won't lose too much on mine :(. But there are some good value street triples out there at the moment going for 10k or so or even 12k for bikes with 1.5k in extras. thats a hell of a deal

20. To me $8k would be a hell of a deal.
    I'd rather pay the extra $1500 and get a new bike, knowing where it's been etc.
    Same with demo's.
    We all treat new bikes well observing the run in period. But a demo is flogged from day 1. Wouldn't touch one at more than half price.