Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

LAMS or Honda CBR 1000RR?

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by chaostheory, Jun 3, 2016.

1. G'day guys, I've recently got back into motorcycling after a long hiatus of 5 years. I used to have my learners which expired and I got them again a few days ago. For the past 3-4 months I've had (and still kind of am) a one track mind on the bike I want to get, and it's the bike I've always envisioned owning since I first got into motorcycling. I've done extensive amounts of reading and studying on the model of bike I want but the thing is it's not a LAMS bike. Not even close to being one. The Honda CBR 1000RR.

So I have my licence now, and I am very close to purchasing. The thing is I am super worried of the obvious things, police random pull overs, those new long range plate scanners they got, void insurances etc. My girlfriend has put up some solid arguments on why I should just get a LAMS and wait the 3 years. But from my perspective 3 years is such a disastrously long time to wait. I was already riding for over a year when I last had my L's so the total amount of restricted time is going to be 4 years for me.

I think my quality of life will be affected by constantly looking whether the police car I just passed by is going to do a U-Turn or whether if someone crashes into me if my insurance provider will pay out or not. If I am pulled over and caught it would very likely mean the bike will be in storage until the restrictions are off, I can only afford to be caught once. This one reason here is something that really puts weight into not doing it. But on the other hand... 3 years on a LAMS!

My last ride was a Hyosung 250 and I really had that down-pat. I knew the bike inside and out and rode quite frequently when I had it, often testing the little things limits. I also used to ride farm bikes all my childhood. I would honesty consider myself an intermediate rider, not expert because I'm still yet to learn the bigger bikes but definitely not a beginner either. I'm 29 years old now and living in rural Vic.

I've looked at the LAMS list and if I really have to settle with one, the 390 Duke really stands out to me, as it seems to be pretty much an AG bike that I rode all my childhood, but made for the road. I just really hope it doesn't bore me like the old Hyosung did.

Since my Mrs. has been getting into me, I've been torn for a couple of weeks now. I really.. really want to get the CBR, it's my absolute dream bike and now that we're in a better financial situation and have the opportunity to get one it seems like the right thing to do. But then I think of the con's of riding it on the street...

I have even went as far as to write down a list of pro's and con's to both bikes and I valued each of them in order to weigh them against each other.

A total value of pro's and con's to the Duke,
    Pro’s: 18
    Con’s: 26

And to the CBR,
    Pro’s: 25
    Con’s: 26

The list didn't really break the tie-breaker and I need to make an informed decision and would like to hear what people think on my situation. I understand going from a 250 to a 1000 can be a big leap, but I am totally prepared for it. It's the legality issues that really get to me.

Please no flaming, and if someone wants to further help me, simply ask me for pro and con list so you may see how I value each pro and con.

In saying all of that, I honestly appreciate all input and replies and I hope some people can understand my point of view in all of this.

Also, hello to everyone! This is my first post. I've been a lurker for a small while.
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. Don't buy it yet mate. Too risky plus you won't be insured so if u had a stack, so it could cost u big $. If you really want to ride a bike with some power then buy a lams restricted 650 and take the restrictor off at home.
    • Agree Agree x 3
  3. Welcome mate. My advice would be to get something cheap and second hand but learner legal, but also to get a different style of bike than what you envisage your big bike to be, as your tastes can change once you start riding all the time. Try out something different.
    My reason for saying this is I started off on a VTR 250 and saw myself moving up to bigger nakeds and roadbikes, but soon got sick of the lack of power and ended up buying a NX 650 dual sport (still learner legal). I would still someday like a big roadbike, but I've come to love "adventure" riding and dirt so much that even now on an unrestricted licence, I don't see myself upgrading anytime soon. And when I do, I'll also keep the old Dominator, as it's such a versatile and capable bike, on or off the bitumen.
  4. Apart from the legal issues, you would be screwed for life should you hurt someone and not be covered by insurance. Think about it. There's some crazy arsed fast LAMS bikes now. MT07?
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. Ok then I wouldn't normally weigh in on this type of discussion but this time I will, up here I run newbie/learner rides on a regular basis to give new and retuning riders some actual road experience and roadcraft skills, having seen the vast range of skill levels that turn up I can categorically advise against jumping from a 250 to a litre class bike (even if the CBR1000RR is probably the softest of the litre offerings out there), you are far better off getting a LAMS 650 class bike (preferably with ABS) and doing your time on the restrictions and learning to ride the pants of that, as for legalities only a week ago up here our local motorcycle police decided to have a blitz on bikes, on one night ride Wednesday week ago they pulled up a group of riders, they nabbed two on restrictions on non LAMS bikes, one actually unlicensed, one unregistered and eight bikes were defected (most for exhausts and tyres but one for illegal mirrors), besides the hassle of having to organise to get their bikes home the loss of points and fines were rather costly for young guys, one guy will actually be facing court for being unlicensed and several were given warnings about their exhausts and other minor defects (evidently they passed the attitude test lol) but allowed to ride home. I'm also a senior official here for our local road race club and we run track days in conjunction with race meets, so far this year we have had two ride dayers go down, both were young guys who had very recently come off their restrictions and had immediately gone out and bought larger bikes, one stepping up from a 250 Virago to a ZX6R and one from a KTM 390 Duke to a GSXR1000, the 600 rider target fixating exiting a shallow right hander, running wide then low siding, the GSXR rider came into a tight left hander far too hot, lost the front under brakes and high sided into the gravel trap, both bikes were pretty well trashed, riders were ok though the GSXR rider had a broken collar bone and left wrist, it is a huge step from a small LAMS class to the bigger bikes. You're still only young, take your time, get a LAMS class bike, the three years will fly past and then get your bigger bike without the stress and worry of always looking over your shoulder, also remember the legal and financial nightmares that could happen if you do have an accident and somebody else gets injured or worse and you aren't correctly licensed for the bike you're on! My opinion anyway mate.
    • Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Hi and welcome to NR.

It could be so much worse. You are probably tall enough to ride anything in the LAMS range. Other than my current ride, I have a whopping total of two choices in the LAMS range. Not only can I not have the bike I lust after for another 2 years, I can’t reach the fecking ground on most of the LAMS bikes unless I can lower them. I can’t even reach the ground properly on a Ninja FFS. So I’m not going to say I have little sympathy because I know what it’s like to want to break the rules every time I see the bike of my dreams (which I can reach the ground on), but at least you have more than 3 choices.

Yes of course 3 years is agony. It's like doing time and I resent it mightily, but not willing to risk being put off the road, or punching above my weight before I'm ready.
    • Like Like x 3
  7. Its just not worth it mate.

Get something entertaining (yes I love my little Duke 390, still have it and am doing another track day on her tomorrow) and go and learn some skills before you upgrade. Go and do track days. Fall off. Laugh about it. Thrash it within an inch of it's life and still only go fast enough to lose some points should you get caught.

And then one day the dream will be real.
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. You know the answer already, you're just hoping some pelican will post up and say Go for it!
    I won't restate everyone else's good advice: three years on LAMS isn't forever but more years that that working off the debts from a stupid decision will seem a lot longer.
    • Agree Agree x 10
  9. Theres a CBR650F which is LAMS approved. Could be a really good intermediary step.
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  10. As noted above, there are some pretty impressive LAMS bikes out there at the moment. The 660 Street Triple was such an impressive bike that I bought my R based on test riding it.

Or why not stick with your CBR theme and get a 500R or 650F?
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Stick with LAMS.

Whilst your dream bike wont be a reality NOW, it will be in 3 years.

Have 3 years of not worrying every time you ride your bike etc.

That's what you ride for, to enjoy it, so why ruin the experience by constantly being plagued by what if's.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  12. You're definitely doing something wrong there...

I'm in the exact same boat, but there's nothing you can do, you gotta stick with LAMS. Get something as fast as possible if you're comfortable with it.
    • Funny Funny x 3
  13. gday chaostheorychaostheory welcome to NR!

newbie rider + litre bike = absolute disaster

sorry mate, we can all understand your enthusiasm but your question is a bit of a crazy one. no-one is going to tell you that a learner/provisional licence holder should be on a superbike. there is a fake troll post getting around about some guy with no experience wanting to get an R1 or something, your question is similar. even for track days some tracks would not allow you to ride it until you are at least on your P's.

if you want to get licenced do your LAMS time like everyone else, be patient, learn how to ride then when fully licenced you can go crazy and get whatever you want.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. I am an older rider, with some long ago dirt bike experience, and started road riding getting my L's in September last year and P's in December. Currently riding a Hyosung 250GT and learning more and more about the bike every ride. And as a 6 foot 4 115 kg bloke, the poor little thing has a fair bit to contend with. I am restricted until December 18 at this time, and I am hoping that my budget stretches to a 650 Lams bike sometime before then. I am itching for a little more power, and there are some beautiful bikes out there that I would love to ride.

All of that said, there is no way that I would personally take the risk of riding a bike that I was not legally allowed to.

If the worst happened and I crashed, I would not be insured. SO tearing up a good chunk of cash right there. If I had subsequent injuries that were not covered by TAC or private health insurance, well theres a mountain of cash right there. And then there's other parties to consider. If I hurt or killed someone, then I cant even imagine the stack of money that I could be personally sued for.

Three years is a long time, I get it, trust me I get it. But in terms of a life of struggling against a mountain of debt, legal proceedings and problems, its a small price to pay.

And if the scenario pointed out occurred, what would your quality of life be under those situations.

Please consider taking a cooler headed approach.
    • Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  15. You guys are great. This feedback is exactly what I was after. I thank every one of you for your replies I value each one of them. Some questions and thoughts;

basejumperbasejumper "If you really want to ride a bike with some power then buy a lams restricted 650 and take the restrictor off at home."
    I have often thought of doing this as well but at the same time the same worries come back into it. Is it less likely to be pulled over or to be ignored by police if they see its 'supposed' to be a LAMS bike? Will they check to see if the restriction is off on a random check?

dnardydnardy "get a different style of bike than what you envisage your big bike to be, as your tastes can change once you start riding all the time. Try out something different."
    This is half the reason I want to try out the Duke, it's light and naked. Something I never thought of owning in the long run. And also around Shepparton here I assume I can just blast from light to light on the little thing. I just hope it has some grunt to do it.

16S1000R16S1000R "MT07?"
    I'm going to take a good look at that bike today. If it's as much fun as you claim I might head in that direction.

loubreloubre, What you've said has weighed quite heavily on me. Police often do blitzes in my area, and even though I consider myself a gambling man I have never been good at it. I could never see myself going straight onto a track as soon as I was to get the 1000RR. I envisioned myself going down some back and country roads around here and just practicing endlessly on not just what I feel the bike can do, but my own limits. I initially planned myself of 6 months of pure pissy riding to get accustomed to the power. I know they are powerful and unforgiving, it's about respecting the beast that you ride. That's my mentality in regards to having one anyway. Maybe those young blokes you talked of thought the same as I did and still ended up the way they did. I guess I have to assume they did, which kind of makes me a little sad since it would seem it doesn't matter if you respect the bike or not, or take baby steps or not - since in the end it sounds like I'll be undone anyway.

GoldenberriGoldenberri "3 years is agony. It's like doing time and I resent it mightily"
    This is the single most heavily weighed reason as to why I want to skip onto a 1000RR in the first place. It makes me cry inside thinking of all the time that has gone past me in the last 3 years, and then thinking of that again for the future as to when I can start "legally" riding the 1000. It kind of feels like an eternity and anything could happen in those 3 years that may affect my ability to get the dream bike in the end. My girlfriend (whom I've been with for near 8 years so she may as well be considered my wife as others do) also needs her life things too. And although she is a little younger then I am (6 years younger) she will still want a decent car at some stage which may affect my eventual ability to get the 1000. Right now seems like a good time to get one, if anything it can still sit in the garage for that amount of time. I guess I'm here not thinking of the things the other blokes of said here too when saying that. I really do need to keep what they said in mind.

GeorgeOGeorgeO "I love my little Duke 390"
    As a Duke owner, how do you find it on take off? I assume because it's so light that it really has some great oomph at the lights. Is that assumption true? The MAIN reason I want the liter bike is for the acceleration. Getting from 0-60k as fast as you can is something that is not law limited. I love the thrill of acceleration as I assume everyone else does. Do you think the Duke 390 can satisfy my desire's if need be?

hornethornet "you're just hoping some pelican will post up and say Go for it!"
    As long as said person also offers some decent reasoning behind it as well. Some aspects are weighed more then others. For instance I can afford to be caught once, the fine portion and demerit points that is. But obviously couldn't ever afford smashing into some dudes Ferrari with my insurance saying sucked in you shouldn't of been riding. Saying that, as a mod you'd of read quite a lot of other peoples experiences. Do you know if insurance providers instantly dismiss a claim for someone in my 'potential' situation?

BMWRXBMWRX "why not stick with your CBR theme and get a 500R or 650F?"
    After owning the Hyosung, which also had fairings, I felt a little ripped off. It looked like it should go fast, but it didn't. Id often get beaten at the lights by run of the mill cars on it, and thought whats the point of having a faired bike if it doesn't produce what the looks of it, should. So now I have a resentment of having an under-powered bike with fairings.

JayteeJaytee "constantly being plagued by what if's."
    Something that will lower my riding quality of life for sure.

chilliman64chilliman64, I'm glad you feel my enthusiasm, but not everyone had to do 3 years (4 for me) like me. In saying that, they obviously changed the law with purpose. I'm an open thinker and maybe those extra years could save my life. Maybe.. hard to think like that though since it really feels like I'll be a walking skeleton by the time I'm off my restrictions.

RussellDPRussellDP "And if the scenario pointed out occurred, what would your quality of life be under those situations."
    Honest truth, and well put. It sinks heavily into me. I'd have all sorts of new worries, but also can't this happen to anyone? To those riding for 30 years even. It just hurts my situation a lot more then a long time riders. Does the TAC cover pretty much everything for you if you were to smash into someone and they passed (providing you're within the law)? I'm not fully acquainted with what would happen legally. I just know for me personally on a 1000, it would be disastrous.
  16. how about a LAMS bike and a cheap 1000cc track bike for the fun factor?
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Well, that would require to be an adult and think of the potential consequences.

chaostheorychaostheory, I have nothing more to add to everything that's been said already. Buy the best LAMS bike for you and learn to ride it to it's full potential before getting a Fireblade. You will live and you'll be a better rider. I'm riding a CBR500 and I'm loving it. Can easily see myself keeping it throughout my restrictions till September 2018. Look at CBR650F, might be closer to what you are after.
    • Like Like x 3
  18. tl:dr move to NSW, at 29 you'd only be on L's for 1 year, and then you can legally smear yourself with dreambike :)
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  19. A CBR500R will do sub 6s 0-100 not too many 'run of the mill' cars will keep up with that!
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  20. on second thoughts, just go ahead and buy it. don't let the law or NR popular opinion change your thinking. you are focused and analytical and have obviously weighed up the pros and cons. what are you waiting for? just do it! riders don't follow rules set down by the man, we are bad boys and girls who play by our own rules.

also, don't let anyone talk you into wearing protective gear either, squidding is the only way to feel truly free when riding.
    • Funny Funny x 6
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 2