Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

VIC LAMS modification

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' at netrider.net.au started by Wannaberider, Jul 6, 2016.

1. Hey all!

About to purchase a Kawasaki GPX250r to convert it to a cafe racer but have become concerned that due to the strict nature of LAMS requirements that even though the modifications would more than likely add weight (replacing plastic with metal) and therefore worsen the power to weight ratio, such a modification would still be illegal.

So i was wondering if anyone has had any experience with repercussions from innocent modifications to otherwise stock motorbikes or any luck petitioning the appropriate bodies to accommodate such modifications?

Just started here so I can't post a link but if you google 'ninja cafe racer' you will find the modification kit I am referring to; any feedback or suggestions are appreciated!

Thanks

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. The letter of the law states that ANY mods u do to a lams bike voids its lams status. Sure I've seen P plates hanging off heavily modified 250 cafe racer bikes going down the road. U may ride one for years and no cop gives a stuff, or u may get 2 minutes up the road before a cop on a power trip throws the book at u.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Yep, I think the rules are pretty clear,
    "All motorcycle learner permit or a restricted licence holders can only ride a motorcycle in its standard manufactured form."

Police may not give a stuff but if it comes to an insurance claim you will probably be up the creek.

4. Can i get some advise on the following scenarios to see if it is deemed as modification beyond the standard manufactured form.

1. Installation of a luggage trunk and panniers
    2. Installation of crash bars and skid plates
    3. Change of tyre say from road to off-road

I find the following statement for VicRoads more accurate.

"It is your responsibility to make sure that you only ride an approved motorcycle as produced by the manufacturer, without any modifications designed to increase its power to weight ratio."

That said, I may have the case of selective perception. However, I believe the key word here is "without any modifications designed to increase its power to weight ratio". This then renders all other modifications; particularly those that enhance driving safety legal.

5. Yes that is the general interpretation. Adding a turbocharger or changing the engine management to increase HP for instance would not be permitted. But the mods you describe are OK. to remain within LAMS.

You also have a further obligation within the registration of the vehicle that it remains safe and structural changes are not made, So welding or drilling to the frame would require an engineers certificate to certify the structure had not been compromised.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1