Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

LAMS bikes in ACT going interstate

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by MaccaACT, Jul 10, 2012.

  1. I have noticed the list of approved motorcycles in ACT are different to those in other states.
    For example, a Yamaha XV1100 is on the ACT list but not on NSW or Vic lists.

    I am curious, if you purchase a bike on your L's that is on the ACT list but not on the NSW list can you still ride it interstate? (The 1100 was just an example by the way)

    I understand the 150kW restriction but ACT doesn't seem to have a 660cc limit other states currently do.

    Cheers in advance.
  2. A little more interweb scrounging and the general consensus seems to be based on your licence. So an ACT licence, with an ACT bike not non the NSW list is still ok.

    However from the learner restrictions at stayupright:

    When planning to ride outside of the ACT it is your responsibility to familiarise yourself with the road laws where you plan to ride. Expect different restrictions to apply to learner licensed riders in other States or Territories. These differences may include zero BAC, restricted speed limits, motorcycle power to weight ratio limits, engine capacity limits and so on.

    So it's a bit confusing. CMC staff state it's ok to ride a bike like the XV1100 in NSW if licenced in ACT....So a little confusing (as I would assume they would know as well).
  3. You are correct in your second post.

    The ACT and NSW both apply a 150kw/tonne limit however only NSW apply a capacity restriction (660cc).

    If you have an ACT licence you are bound by the rules of that licence in any Australian state. So you could buy your 750cc/1100cc bike with an ACT licence and happily ride it on restrictions anywhere in the country.
    • Like Like x 2
  4. i lived in the ACT when i first started to ride, got my Ls there and made heaps of trips to NSW as im from sydney.

    Essentially you can ride any bike you like when your on your P's if you leave the ACT on your learners license this is not the case however as the learners is a permit not a license and you are bound by national laws or something like this.
  5. Blaring Mike is correct

    there can not be restriction on movement or travel between the states of Australia ( its in the constitution I believe )

    So if you meet all the requirements in the state you are licensed/reasidnet and the bike is registered at the same address and meets the requirements of your resident state then the other states have to allow this because you are not resident in that state or territory but rather just travelling within it
  6. Is this a temporary or permanent relocation?
  7. I am an ACT resident and though I'll go for my P's asap I may want to ride outside the ACT (Even queanbeyan etc) while still on my L's
  8. I have a question along the same lines as the OP. If you have your licence from Victoria (or any state without speed restrictions) and decide to go to NSW where they have a 80 or 90 km/h speed limit for L and P platers respectively, are you limited to those speeds or can you do the posted limit?
  9. P plates = Follow the laws set by the state in which you are licensed
    L Plates = Follow the laws set by the state that your in

    That applies for all regulations, the reason why Ls are different to Ps is because nationally Ls are the same in all states besides two differences with regards to the ACT, being 0.02BAC and no capacity limits for Lams bikes. A learner license is actually not a license it is a permit to learn how to ride or drive, the only time it feels like a license is on a bike, because obviously your mum isnt sitting on the back.

    For example, an ACT learner must obey 80kph maximum speed while in NSW.

    I lived there for two years, and had a P and P off car license and a learner motorcycle license, i drove in NSW a lot and have had lots of conversations with NSW HWP about this and contacted both motor registries for their position on it and its the same as what i said, in saying that i dont think the legislators where fully aware about the ACT's differing motorcycle laws, im fairing sure you would be ok to get away with it by showing the LAMS condition on your rego label to the cop and explaining the situation.

    As for takamii, im pretty sure if i bought a non lams bike and got caught, i could not say i was constitutionally allowed to ride whatever bike i want, regardless of if i was trying to cross a state line on it or not.
  10. ACT has had 0.00 BAC since Dec 2010 for all special drivers/riders which includes L and P platers.
  11. It's the vibe.
  12. A LAMs bike in ACT should have LAMs listed on the rego label. That should cover it. When they ditch rego labels, it should have LAMs listed on the plods database if they scan the plate.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. your got to follow the laws of the state you go into. i was up riding in QLD on my l's (i'm from NSW) and up there you need a guy on a bike behide you that has his opens for the bike. i got pulled over and the coppers said i had to follow QLD laws so i should not be riding up there put i explained the case and he said to just drop the l plate off (the frist nice copper i have ever meet) so one would think it is the same for speed limit and lams type bike
  14. WA has a different system again. No LAMS, just a 250cc max on the first RE license. You do a written test to get your L's, and need to be followed or pillioned by a fully licensed rider. Then you do your test, get your 250 licence. If you want to ride a bigger bike you need L's again, and be followed/pillioned until you get you big bike licence, a minimum of 12 months after the first test.
  15. An update folks from the Motorcycle Council of NSW (MCCofNSW):

    LAMS are a licence based restriction, therefore an ACT rider can ride a large capacity LAM anywhere and a NSW can not ride LAMs larger that 660cc.

    This makes more sense to me, as it is licence based (which a few others have referred to)
  16. Another update from RTA NSW so this has to stand as the gospel ;-)