Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

LAMS Bike: CBR125R vs Ninja 250R vs Aprilia RS125

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by SamFisher47, Aug 22, 2010.

1. Honda CBR125R

5 vote(s)
  2. Kawasaki Ninja 250R

44 vote(s)
  3. Aprilia RS125

20 vote(s)
  4. Other

13 vote(s)
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Hey guys,

I'm newly to this forum but I've been skimming the threads for the past month or so now. I got my learner permit in Victoria back in April and now I'm looking for a LAMS motorbike now... I really like the sports-styled bikes and I've narrowed down my choices to the above (Honda CBR125R, Kawasaki Ninja 250R and Aprilia RS125).

I have to buy it brand-new - the one condition with which my parents are willing to accept me buying a motorbike after the past few months of convincing - and so far I've only gotten a price for the CBR ($4550).

Oh and I'm pretty small built: 165cm and 56kg.

So my question is any suggestions/recommendations as to which bike is suitable and any ideas as to what price I should be looking at for said bike (brand-new)?

I figured I might as well include a poll but honestly, any written feedback/suggestions would be more helpful.

Thank you!

PS: I only discovered the Aprilia RS125 today and I'm not sure if it's street legal... some places seem to say it's only for the track. Is this true in Victoria?

2. Plenty of info on the search engine.

I don't know what you would be using the bike for, but the Kawasaki would be the most user-friendly of the lot and would do freeways OK. It would be easy to maintain. The Aprilla is street legal, but prob won't make an ideal first bike, as it revs quite high, and is two stroke I think.
    The Honda is reliable, but is not great for highways or the like.
  3. Of those 3 the Kawasaki is easily the best learner bike, it's got a proven motor with a decent amount of go (for a learner bike) and it's modern looking and has good resale.

The Honda CBR125 has one advantage and one only... it's cheap, that's not enough reason to ride one.

If you've got offroad or junior racing experience and can handle a narrow powerband and the need to be quick and accurate with your gear shifting and clutch and throttle control then by all means go for the RS125 but otherwise give it a miss, you'll really struggle to ride it properly and this is a bike that needs skills to show it's good side.
  4. The Ninja 250 would be the better all around bike - can handle commuting, freeways and twisties for fun. Motor is fairly bulletproof - been around for years. Resale is fairly good - probably better than the Honda.

No idea re the Aprillia - know it's a 2stroke but nothing much more than that. That reason alone would push me more to the Ninja.

I'd also consider the Suzuki GS500F - great mid-size and will probably suit you better long term.

Thats just my 2cents tho ;)

Have you considered something a little larger - the Suzuki GS500 perhaps?
  5. rs 125 will be the most expensive but they are an awsum bike being a gp replica
    they have good suspension good brakes decent power for a 125
    but if your not handy with a spanner i wouldnt recomend one unless your willing to learn or have the mean to pay someone to do work on it dont go through the dealerbut
    parts are easy to get from over seas but no so much here
    being quite small and light you will really be able to take advatage of the bike in the twisties
  6. list of approved bikes for lambs in Vic :arrow: http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/Home/Licences/OtherLicences/MotorcycleLicences/Approvedmotorcyclesfornoviceriders.htm

which i can't get to open, file is damaged?

but i'm 99% certain the rs 125 is on there... and de-restricted that's a little cracker of a bike... it's a horny little biatch, and if i had to choose a lambs bike to keep me satisfied for a couple of years till i could get something with more power... i'd pick her.
    a sensible choice? = no
    will your parents approve of her? = no
    reliable like a jap bike? = no
    will 2 stroke powerband cause premature ejaculation? = yes
  7. The Aprilia RS125 was my first bike, and although I loved it to death and regret selling it... I could hardly recommend it as a first bike to somone I didn't know. Let me spell it out for you...

It handled beautifully, almost telepathic. Its made every other bike I've come across so far seem like a joke in that respect. It was very responsive, letting you do almost anything you wanted with it. Good brakes, good riding position, great feel from everything. The engine is awesome, punching out 21kW from a 125cc single-cylinder two stroke. Its manageable down low, but hit 7k and it takes off like a rocket. Awesome, awesome fun...

The downside was that they only take 98 octane fuel (not an issue most places), need to be rebuilt every 10,000km (a $200 DIY weekend job for good amateur mechanics), take 5 minutes to get to operating temp (otherwise they'll seize) and are horrible to ride on the freeway. Spares and aftersale may also be an issue due to the limited factory support.

I would recommend the Ninja 250 or the Suzuki GS500 - both bulletproof, reliable bikes that will let you cruise the freeway and take a pillion...all the sort of stuff you'd expect from a bike. The GS500 is the better bike in my opinion, due to it being a bit larger and having more power and torque. If you are smaller I would probably recommend the Ninja 250, but try a GS500 and see what you reckon.

Cheers mate - boingk
  8. dont get the honda cbrs, my mates got one.
    i dont feel safe at all with it on the road

riding one is like riding a toy....
  9. I agree with the others. Of the list Id recommend the 250R and can vouch for it as a good peice of kit to learn on since I had a GPX250 which isnt vastly different. GS500 is similar price and possibly a better option but go ride both.
    If the budget stretches definitely look at the CB400 too. From what Ive head the its probably best of the LAMs crop, shame about the price
  10. i had the displeasure of paying 4300 for a cbr125. DO NOT PAY MORE THAN 3K FOR ONE.
    maybe ask your parents if you can get one second hand from a dealer? brand new the resale on the cbr125 is going to be terrible. i sold mine for 2000. and was advertising it for 6 months.

the resale is terrible on them, if you can pick one up really cheap, id say get it. but dont plan to have it for more than a few months. its the perfect first bike, but it gets pretty boring after a while.

0-100 in 12 seconds.
  11. Hey guys,

Thanks for all of your informative replies, I missed them thanks to the notifications going into the junk filter! I'm really leaning towards the Aprilia RS 125 or the Kawasaki Ninja (probably more the Aprilia, I love it) after the replies here as well as reading not great things about the Honda. Any advice regarding the Yamaha YZF-R125?

Just one other question, I hear that the Aprilia has to undergo something called a top end rebuild every 10,000km or so? I was just wondering what exactly that is and why the Aprilia has to undergo that while the Jap bikes don't... and do you still have to rebuild if you don't redline it too much?

Thanks once again!

EDIT: Also, any opinion on the Bennche/Megelli 125cc or 250cc Sport? The 250R is looking very appealing since it's a nice sport 250cc for $5,500!
  12. Still faster to 100 than my car which is 0 - 100 in 13 seconds. LOL

The Aprilia has to undergo a top end rebuild every 16,000km with a good piston kit and idealy should be checked at 8000km to measure the piston width to check for wear. The top end rebuild requires pulling the cylinder head off and replacing the piston + rings, gudgeon pin and the roller bearing at the required interval as well as replacing the gaskets and O rings that seal the whole shebangzle.

The power valve which is just above the exhaust port should be cleaned every 4000km but I recommend every 2500 - 3000km as it becomes coated in carbon and becomes difficult to remove once it begins to stick.

The rebuilds are nothing to do with the Aprilia not being a Japanese bike. Any 2 stroke bike requires the same kind of maintenance. I'm not sure why the piston wears so much relative to a 4 stroke engine, most likely due to the different oiling system and much higher relative loads asked of of the little 125 2 stroke's piston. The 2 piston rings will wear much faster then that of a 4 stroke's engine because they are asked to scrape along the bore of an engine that instead of having a smooth consistent surface to run along the bore surface has holes in it for the ports and I believe cause accelerated wear. Another cause of additional stress could also be attributed to a 2 stroke's piston being subjected to the heat of a power stroke every single rotation of the crank where as a 4 stroke is subject to the heat of the power stroke every second rotation.

You could write a book on all this stuff and still not have a clear answer.

I own the Aprilia RS125 that Boingk previously owned and I love it to bits. I learnt to ride on it and right now it's sitting in my garage with a blown engine because I neglected it. Although they are a fantastic bike I would not recommend one for a newbie or someone who isn't mechanically minded.

Get the Ninja 250R. It does everything very well. It's forgiving. User friendly. Efficient. Quick enough to put a smile on your face when you feel confident to give it some stick.

The CBR125R is too slow for anything other than being a less gay alternative to a scooter. Handling is what I'd call twitchy, Brakes are fantastic. Use stupidly little amounts of petrol. But just too slow. You'll be bored of it as soon as you progress past the basics of motorcycle control. I'm sure these are a great bike for Thailand but this is a big wide open country with lots of hills this bike doesn't enjoy climbing.

RS125. Fantastic bike as BoingK said. Their success is their own worst enemy. As a desirable learner bike many people buy them thinking hey a great light awesome little learner bike. They buy and then do the absolute minimal servicing required to keep it running. I've yet to come across one for sale that was serviced correctly and in a great state of mechanical service. All have had problems that could be avoided if the owner would have just serviced it correctly. Also if you look on bike sales most of them will have 15 - 16000km and advertised as "runs great" they do now. But not or long. They are due for their first rebuild and the people have no doubt been advised by a mechanic how much it costs to do the rebuild. At least the 4 strokes can be neglected to some extent and they'll keep on running for a long time. The 2 stroke Aprilia is very unforgiving to a ignorant or negligent owner.

DIY $200 tops. Get a mechanic to do it ? The sky is the limit.
  13. For the love of all things sacred, don't get the cbr 125, its more like riding a bicycle then a motorbike.
    Its going to teach you all the wrong skills and none of the right ones. Plus they have the added bonus of looking butt ugly, with those pathetic little bicycle tires lol :).
    I really think you should be looking at 250cc plus bikes, they will last you longer, and are arguably safer as well, go the ninja, its the only bike on your list you wont regret (its the most popular bike in australia for a reason).
  14. What makes you say this? Smaller bikes will give you skills to be faster as you need to hold corner speed more.

I guess you could argue that it won't teach you to brake properly as its brakes are too good, but by that logic you should get a cruiser for your first bike.
  15. Hi Guys,

Just read this thread and decided to register as it relates to me 1000% as i just completed my Pre-Learners test today and im so excited on my first bike. my limit is $5000

Ive googled this question and every post is different. some being bias on the CBR250RR (i guess it was a cbr forum afterall) and others the Hyosung 250 or 650.

As this forum suggest, i think the winner is the Ninja 250R.

Hopefully on the road sooner rather then later :)
  16. A 125 will teach you almost no throttle control though which is especially important on anything 600+
  17. having ridden all 3 i would say the ninja 250 is your best bet. That's what the gf is learning on.
  18. I have to agree with the others on here - the CBR125 or Aprilia probably wouldn't be the right choice. The Ninja is the best of those options.

Have you considered the Honda VTR250? It's a great naked bike.
  19. amazed no one mentioned the vtr250 earlier than the last post. i am considering my first bike also and of all the research done in my last 2 weeks, everything is pointing to the vtr250. i love the sports bike look too and wanted the cbr125r, however found out that full fairings (ninja is also full fairings) = expensive to fix if you drop your bike, and of course pricier to insure as well (cost my friend 2000 to fix her ninja fairings just because she dropped her bike at walking speed).

i am not sure if you have sat on any of the bikes, but sitting on a bike will tell you a lot about the bike. i am 165cm like you and was obsessed with the ninja 250 until i sat on one, instantly didn't like it as it was incredibly heavy and wide compared to the vtr250 - also much higher which meant tip toeing rather than flat footed like on the vtr250. vtr250 also hold their value very well and i still see 2000 models being sold for 4-5k (10 years old and barely half price).